When did commenting become a requirement?

Utter bullshit.

I fave something and my screen forces open the comment box and puts my cursor in it. Not to mention it makes my screen lag and error.

When the fuck did comments become a requirement. Isn't a favorite enough of a compliment? What pussy decided you couldn't fave without commenting?

This pisses me off so much. I can't even explain how much.
Comments193
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Please report bugs to the Help Desk :) see our Need Help? thread :lock:
If I only have a fave to give, then my comment does not really matter to the artist either. The "don't forget to leave a comment" thing was enough.
to me this is a good and a bad thing, if you cant say anything nice about the work, not like comments like this is good, i like this, but really you shouldnt be faving it in a way, something has to grab your eye, there has to be something you like it about, like "i like the colors" "i love how you did the hair" "this looks so realistic" but of course with a bit more effort then that, it can really make a persons day, but yet again i barely comment and i feel so bad about it most of the time
Hehe, I kinda agree.

If you have something to say and you have the time, you should definitely comment - write a little bit about what you see! What caught your eye, what you like/don't like, what you feel when you see the picture...I think it helps the artist out a lot! I have a special place in my heart for people who comment like that :D

But then again, if people comment just because there's pressure on them to do so (I mean, it isn't a requirement, but C'MON, it opens the damn comment box for you), that's no good...The comments seem to get less and less sincere that way. I feel like comments along the lines of, "Hey, I like yo' picture" could be replaced by a favourite. Also, that little "Don't forget to comment!" message that pops up by the person's icon irritates me like crazy...
It only happens with the new deviations. Not the old ones. Checked and tested. Weird.
Considering 80% of comments fall under "cool", "awesome", "love this", "this is so cool", or "lol true" I often wonder if we really need comments.
I don't comment all the time ether!
I think the interwebz are trying to tell you something. :iconwoooplz:
Tell them to go fuck themselves in the comment and then fave.
I always fave stuff without commenting. Maybe it's a glitch on your account?
LOL. Thanks for the laugh. I fave things without commenting all the time and they never took me to the comment box. Maybe it's a new thing. I'm on the iPad so maybe it's a PC thing. Well, if it is, that's just plain stupid to force someone to comment.
I think it's a good thing.
DeviantART was created for art,therefor criticizing is a normal thing. Comment box is made for that.
When people give you a lot of faves on an artwork,but not even one comment you kinda get the idea that they didn't actually liked it that much.

And it's not a requirement,you don't have to do it if you don't want to.
The whole popping open the comment box and forcing my screen down to it is really annoying, if I had a comment, I'd add a comment, but if I have nothing to say and still want to let the person know I like their art, I'll fave it. Making me go to the comments doesn't suddenly spur in me an urgent need to comment, I'll say whatever I have to say or don't have to say regardless of where you put my screen.
If we simply must "influence" people to comment, can't we just go back to the slightly less annoying message that popped up and asked for one? It was easier to ignore those.
I guess they figure that if it's so good, you should tell the artist why it was good?
Yeah, i fave and run too sometimes :P
This only happens to me when I wait for the favorite star to disappear. Normally, I just delete the deviation from my inbox before it does.
Bleh. If people want comments, people HAVE TO DEAL WITH getting comments. If I have to comment then the artist or author should be obliged to answer to my comment so that the annoyance is distrubuted equally. Most of the time I don't see how my comment would serve a purpose. I could go in and explain what I like about the picture and where I think it could get better but 1. That takes time. 2. You never know who's going to throw a fit about it and 3. Mostly whatever I think of has already been pointed out, no use beating a dead horse.

*distributed. Clever, clever...
Because too many people were bitching about not getting comments and too many people are probably just plain lazy :shrug: It's the community's fault for complaining about lack of commentary as well as being the cause of it at the same time. dA just listens to their whines and implements this feature so they can at least say "we tried, if no-one comments now then maybe your art just ain't that interesting" :dummy:
It is an odd update, I guess. :hmm:
Just sounds like dA is trying to encourage people to comment more on the work instead of the old "fave and run" (applying that towards people with 100k+ faves who has probably commented on like 10 of them). I haven't tested it for myself as I rarely fave any art so I don't know for myself how irritating it can be, I'm just going to think that it can't be that hard to just skip it.
As someone who frequently faves and runs, sometimes a fairly decent amount at a time, I've never had a problem with this (assuming I haven't just been imagining it all this time). I don't even notice the little pop-up over the icon or my cursor going anywhere. I fave and click out of the tab.

If I have something to say, I say it. Otherwise, they get my fave, and I get their picture in my favourites folder. Bish-bash-bosh, done.
Really? I went and tried just now...did happen to me...Maybe it's your browser?
SOMEONE GIVE ME SOMETHING TO FAVORITE SO I CAN TEST THIS!
Here's my newest

Yes, I have seen the plushies.