Lack of Appreciation for Deepavali (diwali)

A little saddened to see the lack of care from the dA community that normally has events and promotes various activities that happen during a year. Whether you celebrate it or not, it's a shame that an event that predates all Western culture passed through this community without the slightest bit of recognition.

Rant/over.
Comments226
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Only one of my friends celebrates it. However all my other friends went over to her house to have a diwali party.
hmm... interesting point. Though I don't think dA has ever celebrated any festival outside of the Christian tradition. There are so many interesting festivals all over the globe, but dA predictably clings to Halloween and Christmas, usually coming up with tricks to boost their sales on pms, prints etc.
To think that a site that prides itself so much on diversity, multi ethnic members and art diversity hardly ever churns out anything more than events or contests for these two festivals is kind of surprising... yet I'm not surprised. :P
You're mad that an American website hosted by Americans and with a largely American userbase didn't do anything for a holiday that's mostly celebrated in India? Aside from my schools 'diversity' committee I don't think a single store, website or other facility I went to celebrated that this year. Not even the Indians I know seem to have done anything interesting for it this year. In short, who cares? I don't get pissed off that India doesn't do anything special for Halloween.
What was your goal in posting this? I mean, you could have guessed the community showed a lack of care because... they don't care. for the western community at large it's a non-event.

And if you wanted to get westerners into it, you'd raise awareness in a constructive way, rather than just annoying people by suggesting it has some greater pedigree than their own culture, and telling them they should feel bad about not celebrating someone else's religious event.

I wouldn't sign on to some Indian social networking site and then reprimand the community for not making a big deal about christmas. What an insular thing to do -_-
Not everyone celebrates it, and that includes me. :|
Why? It isn't a part of our culture. Its as simple as that. If it was, we would. It isn't. I don't celebrate eid ( did I spell that right? ) but I don't get bitched at by muslims because I ate during the day. I don't bitch at muslims who don't celebrate christmas either. Get over it.
Diwali is a Hindu holiday. (You can eat during eid and you spelled it right:) But yeah :\ I don't complain about people not celebrating eid. I agree, it's annoying when people complain that I don't celebrate Christmas, then they assume I'm Jewish (the flip o-o)
People are bum holes, I honestly don't care, not because I'm nasty but it just doesn't effect me. If you don't celebrate christmas I also couldn't care ( I don't do christmas cards so who cares anyhu! )
Oh great. They even live here. YOU GUYS ARE WHAT GAVE COMMIES POWER!
Why didn't you suggest it to #communityrelations? There are multiple Indian CVs who know what you're talking about (although seriously after all the sweets and rangoli I couldn't do shit this year).

I was really hoping this thread was about overall in the Western world so I could point out no one gives a fuck about Christmas here. :grump:
I miss the laddoos ._.
D:
Then those small separated ones? D:
You don't like those either? :noes: Why? What do you like? :noes:
Pretty much everything else :P
View all replies
You can still do it in this thread. Here: [link]
I agree, but with a caveat ... many folks in Europe, etc. don't celebrate Thanksgiving as we do here in the US. And my family, mostly of Irish descent, celebrates Samhain, or Halloween differently than most of the US culture.

I get what you are saying, and as I said, I mostly agree, but we can't expect people to celebrate something outside of their culture that really wouldn't have any meaning for them. I still believe, though, that we should branch out and discover other cultures, but I can't expect most of the people I know to want the same thing. Good topic! :love:
I thought there was a gallery on dA that you could submit to for that?
It's not the internet's responsibility to see each holiday or event properly celebrated. Even if they were being promoted according to the actual relevance per population percentages, you'd be dissatisfied.
I'd also like to note that this is a US-based website with ~80% of the users based in europe or northern america so this issue is understandabe, even if not acceptable.