Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 225

Lack of Appreciation for Deepavali (diwali)

:iconmarkpaulkk:
markpaulkk Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
A little saddened to see the lack of care from the dA community that normally has events and promotes various activities that happen during a year. Whether you celebrate it or not, it's a shame that an event that predates all Western culture passed through this community without the slightest bit of recognition.

Rant/over.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbleedlings:
bleedlings Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Only one of my friends celebrates it. However all my other friends went over to her house to have a diwali party.
:icontanya3286:
tanya3286 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Writer
hmm... interesting point. Though I don't think dA has ever celebrated any festival outside of the Christian tradition. There are so many interesting festivals all over the globe, but dA predictably clings to Halloween and Christmas, usually coming up with tricks to boost their sales on pms, prints etc.
To think that a site that prides itself so much on diversity, multi ethnic members and art diversity hardly ever churns out anything more than events or contests for these two festivals is kind of surprising... yet I'm not surprised. :P
:iconcindarellapop:
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You're mad that an American website hosted by Americans and with a largely American userbase didn't do anything for a holiday that's mostly celebrated in India? Aside from my schools 'diversity' committee I don't think a single store, website or other facility I went to celebrated that this year. Not even the Indians I know seem to have done anything interesting for it this year. In short, who cares? I don't get pissed off that India doesn't do anything special for Halloween.
:iconkeankennedy:
KeanKennedy Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What was your goal in posting this? I mean, you could have guessed the community showed a lack of care because... they don't care. for the western community at large it's a non-event.

And if you wanted to get westerners into it, you'd raise awareness in a constructive way, rather than just annoying people by suggesting it has some greater pedigree than their own culture, and telling them they should feel bad about not celebrating someone else's religious event.

I wouldn't sign on to some Indian social networking site and then reprimand the community for not making a big deal about christmas. What an insular thing to do -_-
:icondeadly-tea-party:
Deadly-Tea-Party Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional General Artist
Not everyone celebrates it, and that includes me. :|
:iconsmoppet:
Smoppet Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
Wat. :iconwatplx:
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Why? It isn't a part of our culture. Its as simple as that. If it was, we would. It isn't. I don't celebrate eid ( did I spell that right? ) but I don't get bitched at by muslims because I ate during the day. I don't bitch at muslims who don't celebrate christmas either. Get over it.
:iconpocky-japan-ai-epic:
Pocky-Japan-Ai-epic Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Diwali is a Hindu holiday. (You can eat during eid and you spelled it right:) But yeah :\ I don't complain about people not celebrating eid. I agree, it's annoying when people complain that I don't celebrate Christmas, then they assume I'm Jewish (the flip o-o)
:iconself-epidemic:
Self-Epidemic Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
People are bum holes, I honestly don't care, not because I'm nasty but it just doesn't effect me. If you don't celebrate christmas I also couldn't care ( I don't do christmas cards so who cares anyhu! )
:iconpocky-japan-ai-epic:
Pocky-Japan-Ai-epic Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
^_^ true that
Add a Comment: