Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 175

Learn how to behave around animals, and then teach your fucking kids.

:iconbrontolina:
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
I used to have a Shetland pony when I was younger - they are known for being feisty and cheeky, like the Jack Russell terriers of the horse world. I wanted to find a YouTube video of a naughty Shetland to show my friend, as we were discussing horses.

Every single one I found involved behaviour that was caused by the humans around the horse being idiots. People were crowding the horse, feeding it chocolate, letting their children walk up behind it flailing their arms and screaming, etc. One woman had her pony on a leash like a dog and was "taking it for a walk" in a concrete suburban neighbourhood with hardly any grass. She thought it was "cute" when the pony turned its back to her in insolence, and when it started to kick at her she just laughed. A small horse can still do serious damage with those powerful back legs. In many of the videos, the people involved were on holiday in the New Forest, an area famed for its semi-wild horses - if you are visiting a place which you know is going to be full of horses, it would make sense to educate yourselves and your children on what is appropriate behaviour around such a potentially dangerous animal.

Then there are dogs. In many, many cases where a dog turns on a child it is because of negligence or ignorance on the part of the parents. I don't know why anybody would leave their child unsupervised with a dog they don't know, but it apparently happens.

Our family has a black Labrador Retriever, and she doesn't like children. Because she's a Lab, everyone just assumes she is amazing with kids and they let their little ones run at her screaming and waving. It scares the living daylights out of her, so she growls to defend her personal space. The kid then inevitably bursts into tears and we get a dirty look from the mum or dad. One time, a family friend's stupid wife brought her equally stupid daughter round (who was about 11 years old) and the girl screeched and clapped in my dog's face in a deliberate attempt to frighten her. My dog is not used to children, and in most instances where she has been near children they have bothered her in some way - she is just doing what she sees as reasonable. She would never bite anybody with us watching over her, and she gives plenty of warning to anyone she sees as a threat (she will normally try to move away from them first, displaying antisocial body language) but I definitely would not trust her with a small child unattended.

I see people picking up cats by their underarms without supporting the bottom half of their body. Do they not know that hurts the animal? Don't be surprised if the cat scratches you, moron.

tl;dr: If you want to keep an animal or be near one, learn how to act around it first - and then teach your kids to keep them safe.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbaseball777:
baseball777 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
I like to feed my horses beer. They're a riot when they're drunk.
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
:lol:
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Kids can be terrible around animals, it bothers me when their parents don't do anything to stop them or whatever. This summer, there was a dog a while ago at the farm I go to resting in the shade trying to stay out of the sun and this kid was bothering it trying to get it to play while his mum was talking. In short... The dog ended up snapping at him, causing him to run off crying to his mum. Fortunately the dog didn't actually hurt him and the kid's mum told him off for mithering the dog but it's entirely possible that it could've been much worse. People should keep an eye on their kids when there are animals around... Especially grumpy ones :stare: It's even worse when the horses aren't in the best of moods, oy...
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
You just used the word "mithering." You have to be a Northerner. :lol:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Non-Northern people don't use the word mither? :(
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Not as far as I know.
Vanhir Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Huh. Peculiar.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Ah, parents and their kids. :l Some people will never learn.
:iconskyzera:
Skyzera Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Some people really are ridiculous... If you deliberately provoke an animal, you have to expect it to react! And it's not like the animals (Such as your dog) attacked the people, they were just warning them to stop... What annoys me most is that when a 'dangerous breed' is provoked, they're likely to be put down, when it really isn't their fault. It's just sad. Stupid people...
Flagged as Spam
Add a Comment: