Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 175

Learn how to behave around animals, and then teach your fucking kids.

:iconbrontolina:
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
I used to have a Shetland pony when I was younger - they are known for being feisty and cheeky, like the Jack Russell terriers of the horse world. I wanted to find a YouTube video of a naughty Shetland to show my friend, as we were discussing horses.

Every single one I found involved behaviour that was caused by the humans around the horse being idiots. People were crowding the horse, feeding it chocolate, letting their children walk up behind it flailing their arms and screaming, etc. One woman had her pony on a leash like a dog and was "taking it for a walk" in a concrete suburban neighbourhood with hardly any grass. She thought it was "cute" when the pony turned its back to her in insolence, and when it started to kick at her she just laughed. A small horse can still do serious damage with those powerful back legs. In many of the videos, the people involved were on holiday in the New Forest, an area famed for its semi-wild horses - if you are visiting a place which you know is going to be full of horses, it would make sense to educate yourselves and your children on what is appropriate behaviour around such a potentially dangerous animal.

Then there are dogs. In many, many cases where a dog turns on a child it is because of negligence or ignorance on the part of the parents. I don't know why anybody would leave their child unsupervised with a dog they don't know, but it apparently happens.

Our family has a black Labrador Retriever, and she doesn't like children. Because she's a Lab, everyone just assumes she is amazing with kids and they let their little ones run at her screaming and waving. It scares the living daylights out of her, so she growls to defend her personal space. The kid then inevitably bursts into tears and we get a dirty look from the mum or dad. One time, a family friend's stupid wife brought her equally stupid daughter round (who was about 11 years old) and the girl screeched and clapped in my dog's face in a deliberate attempt to frighten her. My dog is not used to children, and in most instances where she has been near children they have bothered her in some way - she is just doing what she sees as reasonable. She would never bite anybody with us watching over her, and she gives plenty of warning to anyone she sees as a threat (she will normally try to move away from them first, displaying antisocial body language) but I definitely would not trust her with a small child unattended.

I see people picking up cats by their underarms without supporting the bottom half of their body. Do they not know that hurts the animal? Don't be surprised if the cat scratches you, moron.

tl;dr: If you want to keep an animal or be near one, learn how to act around it first - and then teach your kids to keep them safe.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbaseball777:
baseball777 Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
I like to feed my horses beer. They're a riot when they're drunk.
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
:lol:
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Kids can be terrible around animals, it bothers me when their parents don't do anything to stop them or whatever. This summer, there was a dog a while ago at the farm I go to resting in the shade trying to stay out of the sun and this kid was bothering it trying to get it to play while his mum was talking. In short... The dog ended up snapping at him, causing him to run off crying to his mum. Fortunately the dog didn't actually hurt him and the kid's mum told him off for mithering the dog but it's entirely possible that it could've been much worse. People should keep an eye on their kids when there are animals around... Especially grumpy ones :stare: It's even worse when the horses aren't in the best of moods, oy...
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
You just used the word "mithering." You have to be a Northerner. :lol:
Non-Northern people don't use the word mither? :(
Not as far as I know.
Vanhir Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Huh. Peculiar.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Ah, parents and their kids. :l Some people will never learn.
:iconskyzera:
Skyzera Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Some people really are ridiculous... If you deliberately provoke an animal, you have to expect it to react! And it's not like the animals (Such as your dog) attacked the people, they were just warning them to stop... What annoys me most is that when a 'dangerous breed' is provoked, they're likely to be put down, when it really isn't their fault. It's just sad. Stupid people...
:iconitoruna-the-platypus:
Itoruna-The-Platypus Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Filmographer
Reminds me of the other day, when I was at a rock climbing gym. The owner, for some reason, had a pet snake, and kept her there so people might come and pet her. She seems to be anxious and temperamental around people, especially kids, but when I held her, she really got comfy and seemed to get a bit attached.

And a year or so ago, I was petting a male snake at the zoo, and he tried to mate with me. I can understand him liking me, but really? HE TRIED TO FUCK ME. :stare:
You are snake-sexy. :eyes:
:iconitoruna-the-platypus:
Itoruna-The-Platypus Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Student Filmographer
I know hun.
:iconkaelikescheesecake:
KaeLikesCheesecake Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Student General Artist
I read a book about cats when I was like 12 and it taught me how to carry a cat properly. Thankfully it told me that I was carrying my cat all wrong XD

I now usually carry them like a newborn baby since it's hard for me to hold under their shoulders and support their butt sometimes.
:iconmaryyana:
MaryYana Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012   Traditional Artist
When I pick my cat up, I put my hand under his front arms, in his armpits sorta and around the upper body and once I can support that part with only one hand I put the other around his lower body, and hold him like a baby by my shoulder. He likes that, going by the purrs I get :shrug:

My sister, on the other hand picks him up and has him in a ridiculous position. "I don't think the cat likes that :l" "Oh yeas he doe- OWWW HE BIT ME!!" Well, no shit, sis.
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012
If he purrs when you pick him up, hopefully he's not in too much distress. I hardly ever pick up my cats because I prefer to give them as much freedom of movement as I can (they generally come when called) so when I do, they don't enjoy it very much and wriggle about! If you're not holding them properly and they start squirming, they can hurt themselves. But they also purr when I lift them - they don't like being carried, but they do like being near to me ;)
:iconmaryyana:
MaryYana Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012   Traditional Artist
Our cats seem to show kinda clearly what they like and don't like on that subject. One cat gets relaxed and purrs when we lift him, and the other generally fucking hates it and tries to get away. Me and mum are the only ones who can carry her for a shorter time without her struggling, if it's needed. Oh, and her previous owner, too.
:icontheleaveshaveeyes:
theleaveshaveeyes Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Professional Photographer
"I see people picking up cats by their underarms without supporting the bottom half of their body. Do they not know that hurts the animal?"

I didn't know that, actually :noes: Nobody ever told me, and my cat never showed any signs of distress. I've seen vets do it. But I won't do it again.
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012
It's okay for a short period of time or if there is no other way to lift them. I once had to rescue my cat from the eaves of a garage roof and the only way I could grab him was by getting his scruff to immobilise him, then getting under his arms and pulling him down. I'm pretty sure that was uncomfortable for him, but he'd been stuck for a couple of days and hadn't eaten.
theleaveshaveeyes Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Professional Photographer
Usually I just lift her up and place her on my shoulder.
Some cats enjoy that :nod:
She loves it. She loves being near me in general. She likes to lie on my crotch when I'm sleeping.
Haha, yeah. Even the shy ones like company - my cats purr whenever they're near me! They start purring as soon as I walk towards them, it's really cute. :aww:

I miss them :tears:
I've tried to adopt strays, but they're usually so scared they run away from me.

COME BAAAAACK. I JUST WANT TO LOVE YEW.
:iconleapinglela:
LeapingLela Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Is your name Elmira?
(1 Reply)
:lol: Usually if you spend a bit of time with nobody else around, they eventually come to you.
(1 Reply)
:iconavianex:
AvianEx Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I generally hate children with animals. The truth is: They don't mix. I try not to let children go near my dog because he is a bit nervous, but since he is a rather small dog, they think he will love them. Then when he growls at them to tell them to back off, they give me a look because they think it is the dogs fault!
I totally agree with you.
Not enough people seem to make their kids aware that animals, specifically dogs, will try to warn them off if they feel intimidated. :|
AvianEx Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah. -.-
I was always very good with animals as a child, but I know I'm the exception to the rule. Most adults don't know how to be around animals...
AvianEx Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah. Because most kids these days grow up in a city, with no regular contact with large animals, they have no idea how to behave! I mean, the only regular time they have with horses is if they watch a cartoon.
And heaven knows a cartoon probably isn't the best place to learn something like that. :lol:
AvianEx Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I know, right?
:iconporkkish:
Porkkish Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012   Digital Artist
This actually reminds me of something that happened to my friend in elementary school. :lol: (We were all about 11-12-year-olds) My friend's family had a small chihuahua, and often our classmates would go there to play with him, and my friend would show all kinds of tricks the dog could do (He was a really smart dog, I tell you)

But anyway... One day, a classmate of ours was playing with the dog and teased him with the sleeve of her hoodie, which of course caused him to attack it thinking it was a toy, and well.... You guessed it: the sleeve tore. And guess who she blamed.

Yep, the dog.

Me and my friend were both all :stare: :stare: "You're kidding me, right...?" (we both had dogs in our families)
Chihuahuas are a very intelligent breed. People think they are stupid because of their reputation, but that's definitely not the case.
:iconporkkish:
Porkkish Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012   Digital Artist
Yep :/ I guess they are more seen as cute accessories than living creatures, when you look at the gossips on a news paper.
:iconthecobaltocean:
TheCobaltOcean Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
'That's the largest wall of text I've ever seen... The largest anyone has ever seen...'
I've seen 10x larger.
TheCobaltOcean Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, we can't miss it.
What?
A wall x10 bigger than this one? How could we miss it?
Oh. The one I was thinking of isn't on here. :l but there has been much longer threads before, I remember reading more than this in threads before.
Ok then, I was making a joke about how that wall was so big that we could see it without even being in it's thread :D

I'm sure the great wall of china has been replicated many times in this forum.
brontolina Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
It's not a textwall, though.
TheCobaltOcean Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Close enough.
Not really. It's six paragraphs.

Do you have difficulty reading six paragraphs?
TheCobaltOcean Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes... Unless it is thoroughly gripping, informative or imaginative piece of literature :nod:
Tant pis, motherfucker.
TheCobaltOcean Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ok Bro.
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
... You sound like you would hate me.

I do med research on animals.
Add a Comment: