Tired of cheap commissions/point system

Is anyone else? I mean I see sooo many artists. (kids) selling their art for 1-10 points. Wow sell your work for a cent right on. Not only that But it also makes real commissioners look expensive when they ask for PayPal or higher point values. 800 points is not expensive, it's ten bucks. It also reinforces the idea that art has little value and is just some kind of trinket that you can pick up for a few CENTS.
I also feel this is deviantarts fault due to the point system And how it inflates it's value....
Anyways opinion?
Comments126
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Yeah, I do think that some people are underselling their work, hell I'm probably underselling mine for all I know (I charge from 100 points for a 150X150 simple animated journal doll to 1000 points for a full coloured and shaded 2 character drawing, plus any extra points for every additional character), but most of the time those that do commissions for 5 points or whatever are kids that still need a lot more practice respectfully, but we all got to start somewhere. I also want to point out that DA points isn't real money that you can use to buy your weekly shopping with, and that 80 points = $1 isn't the same for all of us. Some of us have a completely different currency and they're worth different amounts.
I sell my art for pennies because:
:bulletred: I live with my absentee father, who pays for everything I want and/or need.
:bulletred: In the time it takes you to produce one piece of art, I can produce five or six. I'm an art machine because I work like a caricaturist; that is, I change certain things to make the character readily identifiable but not a whole lot so I can cut down on time. The only exception to this otherwise solid rule is when I'm drawing my own characters, in which case, I can easily spend a day on the lineart alone.
I will charge what I think my art is worth, regardless of how other people are pricing their commissions. Their prices are none of my business.

Also don't accept points, they are completely useless.
No. :no:
Anyways some people here are just commissioning points to get a premium membership, and people won't commission them if their art is shitty and too high of cost in points, cause it's like, not worth it.

Putting the point cost lower gets more attention....hey, at least you're earning points. They're getting their commissions.

Plus, some people here are kids and they don't have credit/debit cards to buy themselves one. So I don't see any problem in cheap commissions.
I like drawing and I like monopoly money, what does it matter to you what I ask for my drawings?
if the point system is gone , how are we (kids) going to earn our premium membership . I mean .... Why go through all that paypal stuffs when you csn have points ? You see , most of us (kids) don't have paypals or bank accounts .... :(
It's a highly competitive industry with not enough demand. It drives prices down. Everybody wants to sell commissions, but there's so many artists of comparable talent you have to be cheaper to get the work. Who would pay more for something of the same quality that's cheap?
There are plenty of people who sell their artwork for what it's worth. Check the Jobs forums. If you're selling a product into an over-saturated market, of course it's going to have little value.
Honestly I draw for cheap because I feel like my art isn't worth much nnnnng....
Im sorry T.T
No one would buy them if I priced them high... Im not the best at it either...
then maybe just take requests XD or trades, practice to get better so people will make higher offers
But I need the money/points because Im saving up ^^;
For a Premium Membership.
you need 1000 pts plus for that right? if you sell stuff for 10 pts that will mean 100 commissions, do you think thats realistic?
Im already most of the way there, and my commissions range in difficulty since most of my work is Icon Commissions, or sketches
View all replies
I like throwing points at random people if I got the chance. I don't have points LOL
lol always fun XD good plan bro
I give drawings away for fun
:icondealwithitdogplz:
I just do it to destroy the economy, it's no big deal.
again cool story :) Great job
Even without the point system, this site is a lousy place to try to get commissions. :shrug: People are cheap, and that was the case before points were introduced to this site.
really? I wasn't on enough then to know :) thanks for telling me