Closed to new replies
November 13, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 125

Tired of cheap commissions/point system

:iconchocochiyoko:
CHOCOCHIYOKO Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student General Artist
Is anyone else? I mean I see sooo many artists. (kids) selling their art for 1-10 points. Wow sell your work for a cent right on. Not only that But it also makes real commissioners look expensive when they ask for PayPal or higher point values. 800 points is not expensive, it's ten bucks. It also reinforces the idea that art has little value and is just some kind of trinket that you can pick up for a few CENTS.
I also feel this is deviantarts fault due to the point system And how it inflates it's value....
Anyways opinion?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconadder-snakebite:
Adder-SnakeBite Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, I do think that some people are underselling their work, hell I'm probably underselling mine for all I know (I charge from 100 points for a 150X150 simple animated journal doll to 1000 points for a full coloured and shaded 2 character drawing, plus any extra points for every additional character), but most of the time those that do commissions for 5 points or whatever are kids that still need a lot more practice respectfully, but we all got to start somewhere. I also want to point out that DA points isn't real money that you can use to buy your weekly shopping with, and that 80 points = $1 isn't the same for all of us. Some of us have a completely different currency and they're worth different amounts.
:iconmasterinsanity:
MasterInsanity Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Professional Writer
I sell my art for pennies because:
:bulletred: I live with my absentee father, who pays for everything I want and/or need.
:bulletred: In the time it takes you to produce one piece of art, I can produce five or six. I'm an art machine because I work like a caricaturist; that is, I change certain things to make the character readily identifiable but not a whole lot so I can cut down on time. The only exception to this otherwise solid rule is when I'm drawing my own characters, in which case, I can easily spend a day on the lineart alone.
:iconmoni158:
moni158 Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012  Student Filmographer
I will charge what I think my art is worth, regardless of how other people are pricing their commissions. Their prices are none of my business.

Also don't accept points, they are completely useless.
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
No. :no:
Anyways some people here are just commissioning points to get a premium membership, and people won't commission them if their art is shitty and too high of cost in points, cause it's like, not worth it.

Putting the point cost lower gets more attention....hey, at least you're earning points. They're getting their commissions.

Plus, some people here are kids and they don't have credit/debit cards to buy themselves one. So I don't see any problem in cheap commissions.
:icontherobberbaron:
TheRobberBaron Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
I like drawing and I like monopoly money, what does it matter to you what I ask for my drawings?
:iconwalaoweihabusai:
WalaoweihAbusai Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
if the point system is gone , how are we (kids) going to earn our premium membership . I mean .... Why go through all that paypal stuffs when you csn have points ? You see , most of us (kids) don't have paypals or bank accounts .... :(
:icontheleaveshaveeyes:
theleaveshaveeyes Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Professional Photographer
It's a highly competitive industry with not enough demand. It drives prices down. Everybody wants to sell commissions, but there's so many artists of comparable talent you have to be cheaper to get the work. Who would pay more for something of the same quality that's cheap?
:iconshidaku:
Shidaku Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
There are plenty of people who sell their artwork for what it's worth. Check the Jobs forums. If you're selling a product into an over-saturated market, of course it's going to have little value.
:iconbrightmist:
Brightmist Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student General Artist
Honestly I draw for cheap because I feel like my art isn't worth much nnnnng....
:iconidellechi:
Idellechi Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student General Artist
Im sorry T.T
No one would buy them if I priced them high... Im not the best at it either...
then maybe just take requests XD or trades, practice to get better so people will make higher offers
But I need the money/points because Im saving up ^^;
for what?
For a Premium Membership.
you need 1000 pts plus for that right? if you sell stuff for 10 pts that will mean 100 commissions, do you think thats realistic?
Im already most of the way there, and my commissions range in difficulty since most of my work is Icon Commissions, or sketches
oh cool then :)
:icongluzzmunk:
gluzzmunk Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I like throwing points at random people if I got the chance. I don't have points LOL
lol always fun XD good plan bro
:iconshininginthedarkness:
I give drawings away for fun
:icondealwithitdogplz:
cool story bro
:iconshininginthedarkness:
I just do it to destroy the economy, it's no big deal.
again cool story :) Great job
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Even without the point system, this site is a lousy place to try to get commissions. :shrug: People are cheap, and that was the case before points were introduced to this site.
really? I wasn't on enough then to know :) thanks for telling me
Oh ho, you'll know. Just go to the Job Offers forum, and you'll get an idea of how cheap some people are :lol:
really okay I will looks :) I would just be surprised if people did like paypal for 10 cents XD
Oh nothing that cheap (well, maybe once or twice there were offers to such). You just get really crappy deals like $10 for a fully colored comic page, $30 for a fully colored image of 5-6 characters... just things that take several hours and offer less than a job flipping burgers :shrug:
yups thanks for real :) We are on the same page :) My price takes into account my time which is why my proces are kinda high :/
I try to stay reasonable without selling myself too short. I understand when people are buying art, it is a luxury they can't often afford, but I also try not to make it super cheap that it's a wasted effort on my part.
I figure if people are willing to pay a fair amount, it means that they really want/appreciate my art which is important to me :)
:iconkawaii-cookies:
kawaii-cookies Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student General Artist
:shrug: yeah well....it's not a nice thing but people do it..
:iconabissh:
Abissh Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well....I sell my adopts and stuff for cheap because nobody would buy them if they were 200 + points. ._. I want people to afford my stuff. I mean, I can't afford 800 points of $10 for nearly anything! I'm living on a four to seven dollar meal budget. I LOVE it when nice people sell their stuff for cheap, because not every one is rich. -shrugs- Don't want to start a fight though, just thought I'd say.
It's a good point, I think a bit too much in my own circumstance. I assume working=hourly, so someone working for less than fractions of a cent makes me kind of sad :(
I think people like that just do it for fun! ^^ I do it because I enjoy it, not because I want to make money. Heck I make commissions for virtual pets XD
Yeah I think that I am starting to understand there are 2 completely different markets here
Mhm! But your opinion is justified, I understand that ^^
cool :)
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's how the world is. :shrug:
:iconichorforink:
IchorForInk Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I charge what I would expect to be charged at this point for my work. Mine start at 5 points but go up to 150, depending on the level of work I put into them.
If you want to charge $10 for your work, go ahead, but don't try knocking others for charging a dollar or less. It's just common courtesy; a politeness for most to get what they're given. You get more commissions than I do, and I've been on DA for years. I'd rather not have people say that they can't commission me because of how expensive I am, considering how few I get already.
Just be pleased you get any, and that someone is willing to give you $10 for a little drawing. Don't have a go at people for not costing as much as you... Just makes you look like a bit of an arse.
Sorry, love.
I think you mean paid for your work. Anyways, I'm not trying to knock other people, more the point system which under-values art :/ I should have made that clearer. And I would prefer if you didn't insult me by calling my art a "little drawing" I sell prints for almost 10 dollars and people buy them because they enjoy them and want to display them. I spend maybe 3-4 hours for a 20$ commission, and I think this is worth it for me and the buyer. I just don't like it when artists get the short end of the deal ( and I think your art is nicer to be sold for 2< dollars :)
Honestly, I didn't mean to offend you by it all (though perhaps a bad day and poor word choice had it appear so), it was a general statement directed at many (I've seen a few people say things like this in much more aggressive ways than you), and was trying to put it in perspective regarding all else one could fret over.
What I did say was that your art is still being purchased, meaning it's still getting out there, and if you're trying to make it your career, there are loads of places - even twitter - you could go to get additional information on how to get out there more and such-like. All I mean by it all is that there's just no point complaining about something that's not going to change all too quickly. Some people can't afford $10 a drawing, so perhaps even offering a competition/giveaway for ONE free one to someone etc. can help promotion and such (eg. Make a journal and say that people must make a journal linking to your main gallery and the journal in order to enter it all), and hey, I'd be more than happy to feature you on my dA if you wanted me to, as would many others if you asked them.
It's all about getting out there, because let's face it, there's a reason some people only offer 1 :point: per drawing...
(P.s. If this makes little sense, I blame my phone... and how sleep deprived I am at the moment).
cool maybe I'll do that :) thanks for the input. And its the complain forum haha XD but yeah idk I just got the urge to complain about it >.> not smart (btw Iwouldloveafeatureifyou'rewilling XD)
No problem, and sorry about sounding so bitchy earlier, too.

*I've got a feature widget on my page - kind of a feature for feature thing, it gets art out there for people to see and to be seen on either side. So yeah, I'll do that :)
its cool :)
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
THat's all fine and dandy if you do art for fun, but what about those on here where art is their only source of income? A dollar does not put food on the table, nor does it pay rent. and people charging what equates to pennies for their art seriously affects those who's art is their livelihood. You're the one sounding like an ass here.
thanks, yeah that is why I am worried, because I am thinking of trying to do an art career :/
My hopes, once all my schooling is done, is to become a biological illustrator. While that career has a bit more stability as far as income is concerned, freelance work is going to be an inevitable part of my life, and people who cheapen freelance work are really jeopardizing those who make a living off of it.
What I'm saying is that I charge what I feel right for what I produce at current; in future I'll put the prices up as I feel necessary. It costs nothing to make art, if you have the tools, and not everyone is loaded enough to blow $10 on a piece of art just for the hell of it - it's rude and honestly offensive to criticise people for being more affordable for people who are either broke or unable to pay in real money.
Saying that people are lesser than you for being cheaper is like saying one haircut is worse than another based entirely on price instead of on other factors.
And yeah, it is "all fine and dandy", but if you aren't having fun producing art, why are you? And if you can't make a living entirely from art - which I don't expect many people to do - get a part time job instead of angrily typing how pathetic and evil some people are for charging less than you do for your art.
Once more, I'll say that it's rude and unnecessary.
You're really selling yourself short then. Your art is lovely and worth way more than a few cents. The rare occasion I do paid work, I charge at minimum $8/hour plus cost of materials. I don't see how $10 is loaded. I'm on disability and $10 isn't out of my grasp if I really want something.

I never stated you were lesser than me. Also, even with paid work, I still have fun, as I'm still making art. Wouldn't you want to get paid for doing what you love?

Get a part time job? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Been trying to get any sort of work for YEARS! NOBODY is hiring! In fact, businesses in my area are shutting down left and right!
Add a Comment: