Closed to new replies
November 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 65

Fun times with biochemistry

:iconrendjur:
rendjur Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Any one who has ever taken a biochemistry course (or even doing it as a major)...I don't know how you do it. The information is actually interesting, but there's just so much of it I need to know.

My sanity is slowly slipping away into an abysmal crack of doom.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconilovebigcats:
ILoveBigCats Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Pah, pure Chemistry is where it's at. Moar maths <3
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Roped you too huh buddy? Hahaha

I drink lots and lots and lots of caffeine XD
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
Oh.
:iconsaxeh:
saxeh Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Pffft , biochemistry is boring !
:iconthesingingbird:
thesingingbird Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012   General Artist
I have biochemistry every weekday at 8am in the morning because my professor is just cruel like that (though he's really good at teaching). We just finished learning about the electron transport chain. :dummy:

Though his exams aren't so bad, since he tends to recycle questions from his quizzes (that essentially don't count as long as we take all of them and we do well on the exams). :la:

He finds it amusing that he gets so many negative reviews each quarter though.
rendjur Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012
Yeah, my professor is a bit crazy. She has constant typos in her notes. While this isn't bad, she usually backs it up with an excuse like, "Oh...it was late when I was doing this" or "Oh, this is what happens when you copy and paste."

I do not give a rat's ass if you make a typo or mistake. Just TELL US and say "Sorry, there's a typo". I don't need a bloody excuse.
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Have you tried McDonalds instead?
Wait...degradation of fat and protein?
:iconajglass:
AJGlass Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Not everyone can flip a burger as well as you can.
:iconbetween-winds:
Between-Winds Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Hm, it's not that bad. Just break everything down into pieces and take it day by day. Review your notes before and after class and, if you're having trouble remembering something, find a pattern.
:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Is it memorizing biochemical pathways that you're stuck on? That seems to be what intimidates most.
What I did was write/draw them out on paper over and over again. I would take a good look at the pathway in the book and attempt to draw out as much as I could remember, and when I got stuck I would go back to my book. You could also start by drawing out parts of it while looking at the book, then trying to fill in the blanks by memory, or take baby steps and just do small parts of the pathway at a time. This method worked well for me. It works for memorizing the structures of molecules too.
Surprisingly enough, pathways aren't that bad for me. I usually remember everything with weird mnemonics so I do okay. Plus, I find if I understand the enzyme or name behind it, I can usually figure it out.

The thing giving me the most trouble so far are these damn shuttles (glycerol-3-phosphate and malate-aspartate). I understand about half of it, and the rest is just "WEEEEEEEEEEEE" out my brain. lol.

Break the pathways apart...ha...ha..ha. Setup for an awesome pun there, possibly :D?
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
My favorite biochemist has a ponytail, sports a neck-beard, has the nickname 'Nick the Knife' due to the fact that he is never without a knife, listens to power metal, plays D&D, is mediocre at FPS games, is an unapologetic geek, and a complete fucking nerd.
That is legitimately awesome.
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
I agree. He's a great guy. He also completely destroyed my mental image of what a 'scientist' is supposed to look like. That happened the first time I saw him in a lab coat and goggles wearing leather biker boots, jeans, a Dragonforce shirt and raising his hand in the air yelling "Me-taaaal!" in a shrill, power metal scream.
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Can't say I know, but my sister considered doing it. I don't think she chose it in the end, though. >.>
:iconescarlatafox:
EscarlataFox Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconcheerplz: You can do it! :iconcheerplz:
Get the hell of DeviantART and do your work. :stare:
:no:
:icontobeyisdisgustedplz:
*off, and by that I didn't mean deactivate, don't take that the wrong way :lol:
Eh, it was a mini-break. But yeah...not like I use it much for art anymore any way, heh.
EscarlataFox Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Your profile is so lonely =(
:iconscdragonlady:
SCDragonLady Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm thinking about taking biochemistry next year.
Fuck, I'm screwed :lol:
:iconlobosabio:
LoboSabio Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
Don't believe the hype. They said the same thing about organic chemistry and I ended up owning that course.
I sucked so hard at organic chemistry.

I actually find the reason why people do so bad is that they don't understand the basics and chemistry behind the reactions. It kind of blows my mind that I even passed it.

That said, it kind of blows my mind I'm capable of learning the stuff I'm learning. It's weird knowing how I started off with "Awww...eating = glucose = energy!" to actually understanding the steps behind it + other pathways branching off from some of the substrates. I dunno, it's cool in a very odd little way.

The same can be said about any other topic of study.

Hm.
Ah, alright then. I should be fine. I regularly say a course is easy, and then find out that someone I said that to has failed it. :lol: I also owned introductory chemistry. :la:
It's not actually that bad. My professor just makes it unnecessarily difficult :/ (disorganized, typos in notes, etc).

You'll never look at eating a chocolate bar the same way again, however.
Ah, when the person teaching you makes it difficult like that, it makes it that much harder. :saddummy:

At least that means you remember some of the material presented! :la:
Yeah, like I mentioned, I find the information genuinely interesting. I really enjoy understanding how all of this stuff works...but my professor just isn't that great at teaching it. I don't mind if she's disorganized (it is a bit annoying) but what makes it worse is...well, I have no idea what she's thinking.

She blatantly stated that she hated teaching this course (yet, in another BCHEM course stated she loves it). I just find it disrespectful and stupid because it makes me feel like we're at the bottom of her list. And if a professor doesn't even have respect for the course, how can WE have respect for it, you know?

And I realize professors are busy (I'm under the assumption she does research) so I understand if they're busy. But you can at least do a slightly better job at hiding it...lol.

Any way, I actually think she's trying to relate to students or something...it's really weird. She's taught the course for about 20 years, so for someone who "hates it", well, she obviously DOES like it. BUT WHY SAY YOU HATE IT!? I JUST DON'T GET IT....
SCDragonLady Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ok, everything you said there is a bit strange... :confused:
Well, you get a few dud professors here and there. Good luck with the course! :)
Haha yeah...thanks. I just didn't want to scare you away from BCHEM ;)
:iconh-everybody-lies--md:
H-Everybody-Lies--MD Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh? Now I'm curious. I hope I get to find this answer one day :iconiloveitplz:
I CAN EXPLAIN IT TO YOU IF YOU WANT =D.
:iconh-everybody-lies--md:
H-Everybody-Lies--MD Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
GASP! That would be awesome! :iconrainbowsparklesplz:
Well first of all, when you have glucose, it'll undergo glycolysis (basically you chop up glucose into two identical chunks, otherwise known as pyruvate). And each pyruvate molecule shuttles through a pyruvate dehydrogenase complex. This complex is just to "prep" the pyruvate molecule into the citric acid cycle. It's like you have a giant slab of meat. After you chopped it into two bits, you want to kinda tenderize it...awww yeah.

Any way, it goes through the TCA where it synthesizes a bunch of magical molecules, some of which then enter the electron transport chain (ETC). The ETC just pumps out a crap load of protons and magical things used to make ATP! Aka energy.

Any way, I'm a bit rusty on that stuff.

BUT I DIDN'T KNOW THIS BUT I UNDERSTAND WHY SUGAR CAN MAKE YOU FAT.

The thing is, after you eat a crapload of sugar, your blood sugar levels are like WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE!! And then some of that sugar will enter your pancreas. After some changes to the glucose (sugar), you pancreas is all LAWL GONNA RELEASE INSULIN BABY!!!!

BUT THE INTERESTING THING ABOUT INSULIN IS THAT, insulin can activate this enzyme called PP1 (I forget the long name). But the thing with PP1 it VICIOUSLY RIPS OUT phosphate groups from molecules...some molecules like GLYCOGEN SYNTHASE!! WHAT WHAT!!!

Glycogen synthase is this magical enzyme used to make glycogen. BUT WHY YOU WANT GLYCOGEN. Well, like I said, if you have tons of sugar floating around, it's better to store it as fat/glycogen for later use (like if you're being stalked by a lunatic and need energy to run away) versus having freakishly high blood sugar levels. Otherwise if someone cuts you open, you're going to like...bleed sugar.

Oh good lord. I think I'll be here forever if I explain it to you. There's much more to it than this...but...uh...yeah, I'll stop. lol. I obviously used very scientific terms, too.
:iconx666nightmare666x:
x666NiGhTmArE666x Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
You would be a fun teacher.

Also, that's interesting to know since I was sort of learning about that stuff in Anatomy.
:iconcheerplz: You can do it! :iconcheerplz:
Thanks! :dummy:
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
:iconbuttplz:
:iconpuzzledheartbox:
PuzzledHeartBox Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012
No! You're an abysmal crack of doom!
:iconidklolplz:
:iconludwigvankickass2:
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
He is an abysmal cock of doom.
He's a cock cracker incarnate?
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
He smokes crack off cocks.
He smokes cracked cock rocks?
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
He does? Oh hell!
PuzzledHeartBox Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Dayum!
LudwigvanKickass2 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Get me outta here!
(1 Reply)
I don't even know what is going on any more. My brain has been fried to the point where I cannot even conjure up any hate I may have towards this course and/or my professor.

I DUNNO MANG. I JUST DUN FLIPPIN' KNOW.
I loved biochemistry, it just takes a little time to get used to :lol:
It's the second BCHEM course I've taken. My brain is just = explosion of madness.

Every time I eat something remotely sugary, not only do I think of glycolysis but I also think of how my insulin levels are like LAWL WEEE WEE WEEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE inside my pancreas. And then some other enzyme is like WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE. And then glycolysis is like WEE WEE WEE WEE WEE.
Obsessed*
Add a Comment: