You don't look MEXICAN

This happens nearly every time someone I meet discovers I can speak spanish.
They almost always say something along the lines of:
"You're Mexican?"
"Wow, I didn't know you were Mexican"
"You don't even look Mexican!"

It's so fucking frustrating. I've had to grow up all my life with numbnuts saying things like "You speak messican?" "How come you look white if you speak spanish?"

It's like everyone in the fucking world forgot that Spain exists and every Spanish speaking person is funneled into mexico some how.

It's the same for one of my asian friends. She was born and raised in Brittain and has an accent but some idiots say "Wait, are you asian or british?"

Makes me want to colonize the moon to get away from the ignorance.
Comments265
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Mamees! A mi me pasa lo mismo, soy PALIDA y tengo el pelo como que café claro y también los ojos; y la gente me pregunta "Are you sure you are mexican?" Y también me frustra. Jajaj Que bueno que hay gente que entiende lo mismo que me pasa :D
There's a noticeable difference in accent as well; the bothersome people who make such assumptions probably haven't met many people from Mexico, either.
To someone who doesn't understand the language, accents and dialects are nearly impossible to detect.

When I speak english I don't have a spanish accent so it throws people off even more.
Sometimes when I've told people what nationality I am the argue with me that I can't be what I say I am, lol
I'm first nations, but I'm white as fuck. So people assume what my heritage is based on my skin colour.
and when I say that I am FN, they try to insist that I'm not. :stare:
I think that's because Mexico is the only Spanish speaking country that is near by the U.S besides Puerto Rico and Cuba. It's just their ignorance so don't worry about it just have patience with them =D Believe me my family is from Mexico and they look white but the reason is because our family background comes the European settlers landed in Mexico to conduct business and make a living there. Everytime my father and sister speaks Spanish they're like,"You're Mexican but I thought you were white. You sure don't look Mexican."I guess people are used to the Mexican stereotypes such as speaking Spanish, have dark hair, being very tanned, eating Mexican food (tacos, borritos, enchiladas, etc),, coming to the U.S illegally, etc
Man if that's what you think of confused people, you're pretty rude + you sound like an entitled brat.

Why should EVERYONE know you're from Spain? WHY SHOULD everyone have to immediately deduce that from your accent? WHY should everyone know your accent?

Like are you serious?

Everyone has shit to do and unless they're into language or speak the same language most people won't know the difference and it doesn't make them them stupid/inferior, it just means they didn't know and if you get mad because someone(and a lot of someone's at that) doesn't know all about Spain/Mexico and the difference in dialects,

you're a dick.

Straight up.
Looks like you missed the main point. I'm upset that they think every spanish speaking person is mexican and that some are so ignorant, they refer to spanish as "speaking mexican".

Seriously, just go sit down and re read my original post, then read your embarrassingly massive overreaction to it and think about what you've done.
And maybe they do. Maybe you missed my point. You're too quick to judge people who don't know any better and if they do, and only if they do, you might be justified. (( But you're still overreacting, lol. ))

But let's again, face the fact that not everybody is brought up to be culturally aware of every races quirks and differences. And "SPEAKING MEXICAN" is slang for Spanish, usually used jokingly. So if you take that seriously, you're not very smart, and if THEY take "SPEAKING MEXICAN" seriously, they need to be laughed at and corrected.

Also, I might be inclined to listen, or see where I was wrong, or maybe even apologize, if you didn't come off as a condescending, spoiled, bitchy, entitled brat who lacks class.

=D
Also, I might be inclined to listen, or see where I was wrong, or maybe even apologize, if you didn't come off as a condescending, spoiled, bitchy, entitled brat who lacks class

I find it odd that you hurl as many insults at me as possible when all I did was explain myself and state that your rudeness was not necessary. I suppose you're one of those people who just enjoys attempting to cause fights because it makes them feel big and tough. It's always hilarious to see people so bent on proving themselves on the internet they resort to defending other people's rights to be morons.

And as long as we're making judgments based on first impressions, your dye job in your profile picture looks like absolute garbage and lacks class. I bet you think you're really bad ass blowing smoke too.

:D

Hahahaha, my dye job was faaaabulous! And that smoke? It just makes the whole thing twenty percent cooler plus it adds like, 300 points to my BADASS stat.

My bad-assery is like, through the fucking roof!

I'm so badass that I make YOU badass just by association.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me to go look at that picture. It's fuckin' smokin. Cancer in style~

Also as for your explanations you can pretty much shove them up your ass. If you're not going to talk to me like a person and you're going to talk like I'm your kid while keeping up your condescending attitude, then I'm pretty much going to treat you how I feel like rather than respect your rights to be treated as a person, and honestly that's your bad, not mine. REAP what you sow and all that good junk.

xP
You came to me acting like a douche bag so you got treated like one.
"You REAP what you sow and all that good junk."

You are the one who demands to be respected when you immediately began by disrespecting and insulting me. That is quite a display of self entitlement, brattiness and condescension. Ironically, all the things you claimed I was.

You've made it abundantly clear that your behavior is all for the sake of feeling empowered by belittling others. You show a lot of concern about not being respected, but you treat others exactly as you say you don't like being treated.

And in all honesty your dye job looks totally cheap as do your try hard attempts at concealing your own insecurity through your inane ramblings about your pseudo "bad assery".

Really, sit down and think about what you've done.
XDD?? You're still talking?

Lol you must be one of those, "last word" gals.

Teeheeeheee and now you're trying to turn everything I've said and done against me like I'm going to have some, sudden, epiphany and understanding that you're clearly right.

If you weren't wrong in the first place,

It might happen.

Buuut, since you are wrong, and you're even more wrong for trying to win an argument against someone who's not playing for either of us to win, you're only making yourself look more foolish.

Attacking someone's physical appearance? Another sign of bigotry from you, ShugarSkull. I merely said you were acting(key word) like a condescending brat while you've now gone out of your way tell me off about my fabulous pink hair twice. Wow. That sure isn't classy at all. In fact, it's sad. It's sad that you need to tell someone off about their appearance just so you can give yourself an ego-boost to get you through another horrible day of people accidentally thinking you're mexican because you speak spanish.

Lol. Pathetic.
View all replies
I speak spanish and I'm as white as a marshmallow XD
Mexican harder.
what ever GOD made you and you look like that no one can change it.

Pray to GOd make me look like a normal person so that I can blend with every one.

And try eating Indian meals and you will look like Indian from Indian other then Mexican from enchalada. stop eating mexican food you will look like Americano. Grow up

get up 12 am to 5 am and meditate on GOD Just repeat the word WAHAGURU AS MUCH AS YOU CAN

THE WORD IS WAHAY GURU VERY SIMPLE YOU WILL LOOK LIKE WHAT YOU WANT TO BE BY THE GRACE OF SUPREME LORD. GO TO SIKHNET.COM GO TO MEDIA THEN LISTEN TO GURBANI THEY HAVE TRANSLATION IN SPANISH AND ENGLISH ALSO JUST LISTEN TO GURBANI BY DIFFERENT SINGERS IF ITS TOO COMPLECATE FOR YOU THEN GO TO
gurbanifm.com and listen to gurbani some thing that does not tune to your frequecy then press off then on again different singer will come and listen to gurbani. it will heal your mind body and and your beautiful soul. MAIN THING IS SING ALONG AND BE HAPPY INSIDE NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU HAPPY. YOU AND THE GURU CAN MAKE YOU HAPPY AND SING THE LORDS MUSUIIC THROUGH SIKH RELEGION. TRY TO GET UP AT 12 TO 5 AM FOR 15 MINUTES ONE HOUR OR 5 HOURS WHAT EVER YOU ARE CAPHABLE TO DO SO. BUT MUST TAKE SHOWER AND THEN MEDITATE AAP JAPO AVRA NAAM JAPAAVO.
FIRST MEDITATE YOUR SELF THEN HELP OTHERS TO DO THE SAME
I'm half Mexican, but I don't speak a lick of Spanish. I know a lot of German, but no Spanish, despite my family and living in the state of New Mexico my whole life.
I, myself am a Puerto Rican, but oh well people cant seem to comprehend that lots of places speak spanish. Sadly seems that their limited education has caused people to think that any place that speaks spanish is mexico.
People think I'm Mexican everywhere I go.
bonus: Every Spanish guy I've ever seen has been ridiculously cute XD
Lol, people in the Philipines speak Spanish too XD.

Mah ne, people are goign to be retard either way. I can't count how many times peopel stare at me when I ad lib in French.

"BUT BUT, YOU LOOK FILIPINO!"

No fuckers, I'm Vietnamese/Chinese. I know a little French, a little Viet, a little Jap....WHAT CAN YOU DO?
One of my apartment-mates has Guatemalan heritage. She once expressed how she hates it when people mistake her for a Mexican just because her family speaks Spanish.
Never mind the fact that even if you were from a spanish-speaking country, rude as such an assumption is, Mexico and Spain aren't the only ones that exist.

Never mind the fact that it's entirely reasonable for someone to learn or know spanish for a variety of reasons. Personal, practical, or otherwise.
This happens often, but mostly after speak english, then I swap and speak fluent spanish and swap over to english again.
Aw that's sad, yes people need to stop categorizing people or following stereotypes.