Fuckin Teachers tekling me that what is impossible!

Around the year 2003 I had physics in school and we discussed relativity. The teacher said that the speed of light is constant and can never be exceeded.

I asked him how he could be sure that this could be true in all the universe, is it not possible that aliens in another galaxy have different physics than we do?
It is just that since we have our physics where light travels at about 300 000km/s we cannot percive anything else since nothing travels faster than that here.

He said that what I said was impossible and stupid.

That same year a scientist came up with apporximatly the same idea. Most of science reacted like my teacher though. But recently there has been some evidence that this COULD be true!

Fuck I had a good theory, and I did not think more about it until I listened to the book "13 things that don't make sense. By Michael Brooks" A light science book focusing on the incomplete parts of relativity and Qauntum mechanics. And the lack of a grand unifying theory.

This ever happened to you guys?
Comments152
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
You'll get that in science. Some people understand the limitations and other people like to pretend they don't exist. Science is basically human observation, but if humans aren't 100% unbiased perfect observers, their observations will always be slightly flawed... Plus, it's pretty well known that there are a lot of things in space science can't explain just yet...
Yes and the is a buttload of good and bad theories out there. It will fun to se what happens in the next 20 years or so...
Here's something for your teacher: [link]
That is very interesting I will keep an eye open for developments!
it was corrected a very short time after the experiment. (it is even mentioned just below the main article...)
no matter can move faster than light.
I only read the main article...

Well, it was not unexpected after all.

I started this threat with the notion that it is a possibility that the constants have been slightly different in the past.
I had an idea a long time ago and when I heard that some scientists now are working on a very similar idea I just remembered that one time when I got shot down in front of a whole class.
You should have quoted Adam Savage and said, "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!"
That is a good quote!
Maybe they can't unify relativity with quantum theory because one of them is wrong, or maybe both of them are. They must at least be incomplete. Never give up on a thought just because a teacher tells you to. Many teachers have ego problems and never like to be questioned especially by a student. A theory without some predictive usefulness or experimentation to back it up though is just a belief.
Thanks, I have no means to experiment I just have time to imagine. But that is how Einstein did it while bored at the Bern patent office =) (No implication I am as smart as Einstein here...)
Nothing quite like a good thought experiment.:)
Well I have heard tacyons apparently can travel faster than light, but we might never know if they actually exist yet >.>
As far as aliens with other physics, I think they'd have to at least be in another universe (or dimension) for the laws of physics to be different. Other than that, I'm sure things will still obey laws of gravity and thermodynamics and such even if it's on a different planet or galaxy...
Yes I was just saying that there is a possibility until proven otherwise that things might be different.
Until then I will assume that the laws of physics are truly constand and never changing. But I keep my mind open to the idea that it all could be wrong (or just slightly skewed)
Yeah, I got a "C" on that test. :iconwatplx:
I got a good grade in the end, but it made me loose a little interest until now when I started reading about it again =)
"Tekling?" And I thought my spelling was bad.
Shoot the teacher in the dick and declare yourself Master Of Theoretical Science? It's what I'd do.
Closest thing was when I had a conversation to a science teacher about how the Force was real way back in Year 2... XD
Well there would have been plenty of choked people if I had Darth Vaders skill with the force =)
Physical laws. They are physical laws, and the physics police don't like being questioned. Light is the fastest thing in the universe, and the general consensus is that, no, it can not be exceeded. We can get pretty close (well, not yet, but you know), but it's kind of a speed limit.
The universe formed at once, and is actually quite stable. If it's a law in our galaxy, it's the same in Andromeda, the Horsehead Nebula, and everywhere else. There are theories saying that that might not true, but I don't see how. Space is not some type of serum, that was proved wrong long ago. There shouldn't be and unevenness or clumps-o'-vacuum anywhere. The speed of light is constant.
There is only one scientific law that I know has been broken. There is a type of particle that can be in multiple places at once. I don't remember what it's called, though.
Yes I think I read about that to. I cannot remember the name either.
"If I could remember all the names of particles, I would have become a botanist!"
Said By some scientist whose name I cannot remember but the quote comes from A short history on nearly everything by Bill Bryson.
A great read if you like to have a very short introduction about natural science written in a light manner. It was the book that got me interested in science again =)
I'm more of a biology kind of person, I just end up reading too much Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson. ;p
Of course, half the books I read are from the library, but I'll have to look for the name.
Also, thinking of biology (specifically veterinary medicine), did you know that if you do not preform the anesthesia properly on a bird, there is a chance they'll explode? It's the whole everything-goes-everywhere in a bird's body thing.
That is a new fact indeed. I suppose they have really high blood preassure and the pain will make it all go critical?
Well, they'd be knocked out for the conditions to actually work, so no. The anesthesia just puts so much gas in the bones that they explode from pressure.
Still really bad.