Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 4, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 151

Fuckin Teachers tekling me that what is impossible!

:iconthemarcher:
TheMarcher Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Around the year 2003 I had physics in school and we discussed relativity. The teacher said that the speed of light is constant and can never be exceeded.

I asked him how he could be sure that this could be true in all the universe, is it not possible that aliens in another galaxy have different physics than we do?
It is just that since we have our physics where light travels at about 300 000km/s we cannot percive anything else since nothing travels faster than that here.

He said that what I said was impossible and stupid.

That same year a scientist came up with apporximatly the same idea. Most of science reacted like my teacher though. But recently there has been some evidence that this COULD be true!

Fuck I had a good theory, and I did not think more about it until I listened to the book "13 things that don't make sense. By Michael Brooks" A light science book focusing on the incomplete parts of relativity and Qauntum mechanics. And the lack of a grand unifying theory.

This ever happened to you guys?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconalice-hime:
alice-hime Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
You'll get that in science. Some people understand the limitations and other people like to pretend they don't exist. Science is basically human observation, but if humans aren't 100% unbiased perfect observers, their observations will always be slightly flawed... Plus, it's pretty well known that there are a lot of things in space science can't explain just yet...
TheMarcher Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Yes and the is a buttload of good and bad theories out there. It will fun to se what happens in the next 20 years or so...
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
Here's something for your teacher: [link]
That is very interesting I will keep an eye open for developments!
:iconmrbonecracker:
MrBonecracker Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
it was corrected a very short time after the experiment. (it is even mentioned just below the main article...)
no matter can move faster than light.
I only read the main article...

Well, it was not unexpected after all.

I started this threat with the notion that it is a possibility that the constants have been slightly different in the past.
I had an idea a long time ago and when I heard that some scientists now are working on a very similar idea I just remembered that one time when I got shot down in front of a whole class.
:iconleapinglela:
LeapingLela Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You should have quoted Adam Savage and said, "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!"
That is a good quote!
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Maybe they can't unify relativity with quantum theory because one of them is wrong, or maybe both of them are. They must at least be incomplete. Never give up on a thought just because a teacher tells you to. Many teachers have ego problems and never like to be questioned especially by a student. A theory without some predictive usefulness or experimentation to back it up though is just a belief.
TheMarcher Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Thanks, I have no means to experiment I just have time to imagine. But that is how Einstein did it while bored at the Bern patent office =) (No implication I am as smart as Einstein here...)
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Nothing quite like a good thought experiment.:)
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well I have heard tacyons apparently can travel faster than light, but we might never know if they actually exist yet >.>
As far as aliens with other physics, I think they'd have to at least be in another universe (or dimension) for the laws of physics to be different. Other than that, I'm sure things will still obey laws of gravity and thermodynamics and such even if it's on a different planet or galaxy...
Yes I was just saying that there is a possibility until proven otherwise that things might be different.
Until then I will assume that the laws of physics are truly constand and never changing. But I keep my mind open to the idea that it all could be wrong (or just slightly skewed)
:iconsmoppet:
Smoppet Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Yeah, I got a "C" on that test. :iconwatplx:
I got a good grade in the end, but it made me loose a little interest until now when I started reading about it again =)
:iconthestickemperor:
TheStickEmperor Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional General Artist
"Tekling?" And I thought my spelling was bad.
:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
Shoot the teacher in the dick and declare yourself Master Of Theoretical Science? It's what I'd do.
:iconiheartkimpine:
iheartkimpine Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Closest thing was when I had a conversation to a science teacher about how the Force was real way back in Year 2... XD
Well there would have been plenty of choked people if I had Darth Vaders skill with the force =)
:iconplaceusernamehere:
placeusernamehere Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Physical laws. They are physical laws, and the physics police don't like being questioned. Light is the fastest thing in the universe, and the general consensus is that, no, it can not be exceeded. We can get pretty close (well, not yet, but you know), but it's kind of a speed limit.
The universe formed at once, and is actually quite stable. If it's a law in our galaxy, it's the same in Andromeda, the Horsehead Nebula, and everywhere else. There are theories saying that that might not true, but I don't see how. Space is not some type of serum, that was proved wrong long ago. There shouldn't be and unevenness or clumps-o'-vacuum anywhere. The speed of light is constant.
There is only one scientific law that I know has been broken. There is a type of particle that can be in multiple places at once. I don't remember what it's called, though.
Yes I think I read about that to. I cannot remember the name either.
"If I could remember all the names of particles, I would have become a botanist!"
Said By some scientist whose name I cannot remember but the quote comes from A short history on nearly everything by Bill Bryson.
A great read if you like to have a very short introduction about natural science written in a light manner. It was the book that got me interested in science again =)
placeusernamehere Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
I'm more of a biology kind of person, I just end up reading too much Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson. ;p
Of course, half the books I read are from the library, but I'll have to look for the name.
Also, thinking of biology (specifically veterinary medicine), did you know that if you do not preform the anesthesia properly on a bird, there is a chance they'll explode? It's the whole everything-goes-everywhere in a bird's body thing.
That is a new fact indeed. I suppose they have really high blood preassure and the pain will make it all go critical?
placeusernamehere Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
Well, they'd be knocked out for the conditions to actually work, so no. The anesthesia just puts so much gas in the bones that they explode from pressure.
Still really bad.
TheMarcher Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I can see the picture... Exploding bones does not sound nice.
placeusernamehere Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012
Nor are the lawsuits.
Ok going to sleep and work. Will be back in about 24H. Will reply to anything that is not obvious trolling or pointing out my horrible spelling.
:iconbenjamin-biddix:
Benjamin-Biddix Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
pfft. telking.
It is my own privatly inventet language. Ever seen Nell?
:iconmaryyana:
MaryYana Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012   Traditional Artist
You misspelled the misspelling. How dare you :iconmadnoesplz:
:iconthegroovymurphy:
TheGroovyMurphy Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well, if you could create your own universe with your own laws of physics then it is entirely possible to have objects move faster than the speed of light. But with that mind construct anything is possible so that's hardly a justification for your so called theory.

There are still a few discrepancies between relativity and quantum physics. However, both have proven to work in application so both appear to be true. That is, indeed, the biggest challenge in physics of our time - bringing those two together.

Meanwhile you can hit your teacher with a book repeatedly for being so closed-minded. c is a constant indeed. Though the speed of light varies depending on what medium the light travels through. For example it's slower in water or glass. Plus there are hypothesis that describe the existence of particles that always exceed c like tachyonic particles.
Yeah I read about it, the physics are sound even if you change the values.
They work in reverse as well (anti matter and all that stuff)

Yes but those particles can carry no useful information or mass and are therefore useless. But there are things that can move faster than c.

And the reason for the maximum value of c is that it would take infinite energy to accelerate any object to that speed. Wormholes and such is a way around it though. To bad anyone would die going through one, or come out having no idea where they are.
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
*telling
:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
You tekl him, young penguin!
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I plan tu!
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
I see you aren't the sharpest pencil out there... It's okay though, don't let that take you down. You'll still be able to make lots of friends, there are loads of people like you!!
No I am not the smartest out there. I just like my science and banjo playing thank-you-very-much.
Yeah there is about 6 billion of people like me. But thankfully only one me.
Keep telling yourself that :)
So you read a book, it changed your life and now you've realized things that make you smarter than everyone else? No? Not the subject? Well I'm bringing it up anyway: I hate when people do that.

I mean I've read a few books about how to socially interact on a better level with people. Does that make me an expert at socializing? Fuck no. I'm still this socially retarded piece of shit aspie in practice at most times.
Nope not an expert, you go in to rage mode so fast...

No I really like science and I am not smarter than anyone I just like science.

And not everything can be thought through books, some stuff need practise.

(like my spelling for instance)
Who said it was turned towards you? I stopped talking to you after that "No?".
Who said I was raging? I'm sitting here half naked, completely calm, waiting for my pad to get bloody. :meow:

Where are you from? I'm from sweden and I mostly don't fuck up sentences too much.
:iconalice-hime:
alice-hime Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2012
You're the third person so far on complaints that I know of who's PMSing. :dummy:

Also, I hate pads. :iconmindblownplz:
Då är vi från samma land kompis. Det du skrev uppfattade jag som något aggresivt. Men det kan ju vara jag som missförstod.

Jag har en förmåga att skriva lite galet ibland, men va fan har ju fått massor av roliga svar tack vare det.
Kollar mer på tangentbordet än skärmen när jag skriver och trycker på submit för fort.

Vad jag ville åstakomma här var en intressant diskussion om folk som trycker ner ens ideér men det blev bara en massa folk som trycker ner ideér istället...

Ha de!
Du har kommit till fel forumsektion om du inte vill ha folk som trycker ner dig. Det är nog väldigt få n00bs som inte fått åtminstone lite skit för forumtrådar. Jag föreslår att du inte tar så illa upp. De flesta har nog glömt det om en månad.

Själv bryr jag mig inte så mycket om ifall det går att färdas snabbare än ljuset eller inte. Allt rymdrelaterat skrämmer skiten ur mig.
English only pl0x
Börjar ana detta nu, är osm sagt en n00b i detta forum. har mest varit en lurker förr så jag är van vid troll, och kan hantera dom bra. Och jag tar inte illa upp. Men jag gillar att diskutera och argumentera. Och detta verkar vara ett kanon forum för det iaf =)

Vi har alla olika intressen, tråden handlade ju egentligen inte om rymden utan om nedtryckande av ideér.

Det blev inte riktigt som jag tänkte men fan det har varit kul ändå.
How to be honest on the internet 101. :lol:
:dummy:
:iconbloodburstplz:
Gotta love dem periods.