Closed to new replies
November 3, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 83

Breastfeeding nazis.

:icontheleaveshaveeyes:
theleaveshaveeyes Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Photographer
After careful consideration of feeding options for my baby, I decided upon bottle-feeding pumped breast milk.

The idea of having a baby chomp on my nipples makes me uncomfortable, not to mention my nipples are very sensitive and hurt easily. I still want the health benefits of my own milk for my baby, so I decided that pumping would be a good choice (supplemented by formula if necessary) Also, I wouldn't always have to be the one to feed her. My boyfriend could also do it so I could get more sleep. Plus I've heard it's easier to regulate how much the baby gets so she could go longer without needing to be fed. It would also be ideal when going back to work or starting school again.

But when telling these plans to other people, a few decided to guilt trip me about how it's so much better and comforting to feed from the breast, and how I won't bond with my daughter if I don't let her gnaw on my boobs. Considering how much physical and emotional hardship I've endured so far through my pregnancy and the fact that I'm still attached to her and excited to have her, I'm not concerned about bonding.

tealdear: Breastfeeding nazis on their high horses think I'll be a terrible mother because I want to bottlefeed.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
I couldn't drink either so, I don't get why people say it's good for you to breastfeed.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
a few decided to guilt trip me about how it's so much better and comforting to feed from the breast, and how I won't bond with my daughter if I don't let her gnaw on my boobs

I was bottle-fed with what I'm fairly certain was cow juice, and I feel fine, so don't fret too much over how you feed your baby.

And reading this with your icon gave me a veeeery strange image in my head.
theleaveshaveeyes Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Professional Photographer
I think most formula is made from cow's milk or soy. It's supposed to be comparable as far as nutrition goes.
:iconmaryyana:
MaryYana Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012   Traditional Artist
People act like babies are sensitive, super special glass statues that need all this special treatment to turn out good and will break in a million pieces if everything does not perfectly suit them, yet when it's time to raise them they back away and go all "but they're only three/four/five/six!". Fucking pussies. No wonder people end up the way they do.

Feed your kid as you wish, as long as you don't fire breastmilk down its throat with a shotgun.
:iconstopandthink97:
StopAndThink97 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's your child and your body. Do what you think is right. Personally I don't think it will really make a difference. :shrug:
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
That's your choice, not theirs.
:iconplaceusernamehere:
placeusernamehere Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Funny, because isn't your avatar a hipster Hitler? :lol:
Ignore them. It's not like you decreed to never touch your baby ever. If you don't want to have to be bitten by babies, it's no one else's business.
My solution? Eat the ones guilt-tripping you. They sound like fools.
:iconashieepants:
Ashieepants Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
My nephew was day-one formula-fed after my sister-in-law tried breastfeeding him once, he wouldnt latch and gave up completely. :| Didn't even look at using the breast pump.

However, in her defense, formula these days is pretty darn good in terms of nutrients, and Zach didn't suffer for it, he loves his mum no less.

Kudos to you for wanting to give your bub breast milk, it's your choice and yours alone how you feed your child. Let people like that stress themselves about it, it's still not going to affect what you do for you and your baby.

All the best. <3
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Hey, it's your choice. I think it works.
:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think my mum breastfed me and my siblings, but I think she chose to do that. I really think that it's the mother's choice.
:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
I don't see the difference in the breast pump and breastfeeding. The same stuff goes into the baby, just in a bottle. And with no chance of bruised nipple.
theleaveshaveeyes Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Photographer
They say with pumping, you might dry up quicker. But I don't see the harm in supplementing with formula if that happens.
:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Student General Artist
They're kind of right, you're pumping out more than what a baby would need. But I don't see the harm in using formula, as long as it's not from the dollar store or anything like that.
:iconannmariebone:
AnnMarieBone Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I have five grown up children and I breast fed them all, simply because it was my choice and I enjoyed doing it. However, I am a firm believer in a mother having the choice to feed her baby how she likes, as we all have different life styles. You deserve a pat on the back for expressing milk, as that is a time-consuming task, and at least you know that your baby will get the benefit of the immunity that early breast milk offers. You do not need to breast feed to bond with your baby and in fact, a couple of mine were over-clingy because they became obsessed with using me as a human dummy! No one remembers how you fed your baby as soon as they are a bit older, so don't let anyone guilt trip you and just enjoy this precious time with your daughter.
:iconpeccantis:
Peccantis Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012   General Artist
I love how fire-heart breastfeeding advocates don't listen to valid reasons like "breastfeeding hurts me bad". "It hurt a bit for me too, now it's nothing". "But, you see, it hurts BAD. And I think it might actually damage the nipple skin." "Bollocks. Nipples out, wussy!"

Compare to "I gave birth without pain medication, it's the natural way to do, everyone is able to do this and everyone should."

Cheers to you for at least attempting to milk yourself for your baby o/
:icontidal-wave-art:
Tidal-Wave-Art Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
As long as you're not feeding the baby pizza and ring pops I think you're fine.
I once saw a very obese mother feeding a baby (no more than a year old) french fries at McDonald's. :iconstaresplz:
:iconforeverteatime:
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My mom never breastfed me or my brother, but as little children we've always been quite attached to her so I think the bonding thing is nonsense.
Plus, it's been common for hundreds of years that when possible, most women chose alternatives for breastfeeding their babies. In the old days any woman that had standard enough would most likely find a female servant to do it for her, and nowadays many women choose to use the bottle instead.
Also, as long as you're not going to extremes such as beating your child up or locking it away in a dark closet for a long time, you shouldn't let other people tell you how to raise your child. After all it's your child. You put it on the world, not them.
:iconbeesull:
BeeSull Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Really? I think it would be easier to feed right from the boob. I mean imagine this... baby crying in the middle of the night... Scenario #1 you have to get up, heat the bottle, maybe mix formula, and meanwhile have to deal with the stress of listening to the baby crying. Scenario #2 you grab the baby and whip out a boob. Plus no bottle costs, worries about BPA free bottles, and I highly doubt the pump will be much easier on your boob. Just sayin'. A boob is a practical thing. I'd at least give it a whirl. I mean, it's like having an awesome gadget that you never even try to use... you might find yourself empowered by possessing this awesome feeding device!
:iconashieepants:
Ashieepants Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
Whilst I agree in that she should at least give breastfeeding a try, it is not as simple as just whipping out a boob. Some babies just do not latch.
BeeSull Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
This is true... I guess I meant it would be easier down the road when the routine had been established... but yeah I imagine it is probably more work in the beginning. Especially if they won't latch on. :-/
But if I bottlefeed, I don't ALWAYS have to be the one to feed. My boyfriend can do it when I need sleep.
BeeSull Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2012
True enough, but you'll probably wake up with all the crying anyway.

No matter what way you go though, I'm sure it won't make that big of a difference. My niece was bottle fed. She turned out okay. Both of my nephews and my cousins children were breast fed and they turned out okay too. I don't see that much of a difference between them really. I'm a health nut though (mostly organic whole foods), so I'm going to breast feed like a champ when I pop one out! Ha ha! And I do not want to waste time or money with bottles either! LOL! So I hope they take it out of the boob!
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional
Well, I suppose that's an aspect of pregnancy... you say this now, but you may change your mind down the road.

I'd say at least give it a try. Who know what'll happen... maybe you'll be fine. Maybe your child will refuse your breasts.
NOBODY could refuse my breasts. :icondivaplz:
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional
I may!
:iconveronicaloveless:
VeronicaLoveless Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I like how people throw away the word 'nazi' like it ain't no thing.
:iconcamera-wielding-fool:
Camera-wielding-fool Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
i nazi u :iconiluplz:
:iconveronicaloveless:
VeronicaLoveless Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
What?
:iconkkofthefunkoff:
kkofthefunkoff Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Give it 13 maybe 14 years, she'll grow up to hate you! because you didn't breastfeed! Terrible Mother!
:iconwildergothica:
WilderGothica Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
People need to mind their own business.
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
that's not a dig at you, but at our society.
While it's 100% your choice how to feed your child, and no one should guilt you about it, it's rather a sad state of affairs when it you feel it's strange to use your breasts.... as breasts.
I don't really know why it bothers me. It just seems odd to me.
It's because birth/life etc is so far removed/isolated/tabboo even in our society. That's why.
That sounds like Brave New World :iconstaresplz:
:icongalacticgoat:
GalacticGoat Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Throw rocks at these people. I mean sure it IS better to breastfeed them but if you're not comfortable with it no one should try to guilt you. You're a grown woman, people should respect your choices.
:iconsewlolita:
SewLolita Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012   General Artist
ugh... stupid people are stupid...my carer's mum got guilted into breastfeeding even though he was born with TEETH. the nurses let her bottle feed with breast milk once... then he refused to go back (presumably because he probably could tell he was causing her pain...or something)

...so long as you're holding her (what other options /are/ there? a hamster dripper? =P )you're bonding just fine... and it gives your partner a chance to bond too...and you'll be a happier mother if you're not sleep deprived with sore boobs...
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Thank you, you just made me realize the one benefit of my horribly large, horribly senseless tits. I'll be able to breastfeed to my heart's content, or gain feeling trying!

Of course there is the chronic fear of how enlarged milk will make them. But, when the time comes, we'll see.
Mine were small to start off with, so hopefully they won't get to a freakish size.
:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
I wish you luck, really.
:iconmonkeydoodles:
monkeydoodles Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
No matter what you do, some asshole is going to have an issue with it. Tell them to shut up and punch one of their ovaries for good measure.
:iconmisterturtle:
MisterTurtle Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012
THAT IS ENTIRELY RELEVANT
:iconmisterturtle:
MisterTurtle Featured By Owner Nov 4, 2012
YES
:iconhippo-rim-job:
hippo-rim-job Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
This is a good thread, because it involves breasts.
:iconfelissauria:
Felissauria Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Fuck everyone else. Do what you want. :#1: They're gunna sag, stretch and get gross either way. :lol:
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hitler wasn't breastfed. :nod:
:iconsspirate:
SSPirate Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:lol: is that a fact now?
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm not sure, but it makes sense.
Add a Comment: