Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
September 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 125

People wishing for old styled cartoons and people who aren't doing a damn thing about it

:iconclxcool:
CLXcool Featured By Owner Sep 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I have two things that have been bothering the hell out of me for awhile now. And now…. it has come to my attention that I have decided to stop keeping this quiet and unleash this into the world of deviantart. Alright, two topics, both of which have to do with animation. First off…people “wishing to go back to the golden age”. As an artist, this one…is one hell of a pain for me. Whenever I hear someone say “I wish cartoons today were like the ones in the 40’s” I get infuriated real easily for obvious reasons.
Now…a few months ago, I was finishing watching Tex Avery’s Red hot Riding hood from the legendary animation director Tex Avery. I noticed a bunch of comments like this on Youtube, Deviantart, as well as a few animation forums. “I wish cartoons nowadays were like the ones in the 30’s, 40’s, and 90’s. Most cartoons nowadays suck”. Let me start by saying this…Why? Why do you want to go back to the 30’s, 40’s or even 90’s for that matter? Most of the jokes that were made in the cartoons that were made in those three different time periods are OUTDATED by today’s standards. Sure, not all cartoons are great. There have been a few good ones while there have been a few that are left to me unsaid to the public. Seriously though, the jokes made back in those time periods of animation were jokes made for the humor of the time period as a social commentary. If you try to make a joke similar to the golden age (like a short around WWII attacking on Hitler) it would be considered way outdated. Ralph Bakshi even had this quote to sum this up :iconclapplz:

"When I hear 2D animators today talking about acting in hand-drawn cartoons, I ask, what kind of acting? Are you talking about the old fashioned acting that animators have always done? You know… the hand on the hip, finger-pointing, broad action, lots of overlapping action, screeching to a halt- all that turn-of-the-century old-fashioned mime stuff. Is that what you’re talking about? Well, forget about it. If you’re gonna compete with computer animation, you better go all out and do something that’s totally different. Call it “new acting”. Blow the computer out of the water."

In other words, if you desire to go back to the 30’s, 40’s, and 90’s forget about it. Create something new rather than something that has been done to death a million times. The last thing the world needs is another “The Wacky World Of Tex Avery”. Which is something that was created to be labeled as a ”homage”, when in reality the show itself has nothing to do with the creator’s trademarks of humor. Whats worst, it doesn’t help the fact that WWOTA was originally planned out as a show that had Tex’s original characters(like Droopy, wolf and red, and screwy squirrel). But was later scrapped due to DIC not getting the rights to the characters. Alright enough of the golden age complaining…now to get onto the second and last reason.

People who always complain about animation but aren’t willing to do anything about it. I know a few professional animators who have to deal with this crap. It just makes me more annoyed then usual because most of the complaints are coming from animators who have been in the business of animation for a long time. :iconsaixberserkplz:

Now, my advice to all the artists and animators out there who are likely to throw the towel on giving up, don’t fucking give up on yourself and your talent just because the industry of animation for both television and theatrical animation is shot to hell.
The studios aren’t the ones who are going to “change” the industry. Its you, the artist who is willing to take a risk for something that hasn’t done before for animation. Don’t call it quits already, you guys need to stop moping and do something for yourselves with your talent. We need to have more animators who are willing to take chances like Ralph Bakshi and John Krifalusi. Do they know what they can do with the technology that is advanced? You can make a short film within 2 weeks! Go out there and make something to show those bums how animation is supposed to be done! If you cant do it alone, get a bunch of your friends who can draw and get together on the weekends and make a short film to get your name and talent out into the world.

If your still on an artist’s block on giving up. Watch this speech that Ralph Bakshi made at the comic con, so listen to this well so you and your friends can do something about it. If you don’t do nothing for yourself expect complaining the hell out of anyone. Then get the hell out of animation for that matter. Listen to Ralph Bakshi’s advice and Danny Antouncci’s 4 c’s to making cartoons [link] and [link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconashewednesday:
AsheWednesday Featured By Owner Oct 16, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Actually, I disagree completely. Take Chuck Jones' work, for example: the comedic timing, wit and facial expressions translate clearly to audiences of today (as compared to certain sterilized-for-your-convenience kids shows these days, such as the rushed sequels/animations Disney constantly churns out), the characters are designed flawlessly and globally recognizable (as compared to most anime characters, which lack facial differentiation and are buried under layers of over-detailed clothing) and the knowledge of physics and flow of animation are superior by far (as compared to some of these Flash-animated cartoons that are more focused on producing junk for advertisers' money than they are on producing a genuine form of art).

Of course, there are some modern cartoons that are noteworthy: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is exquisitely animated and the characters are well-developed, Adventure Time never fails to be funny, entertaining and push the envelope... However, these shows are rare gems in what I can only describe as an animation dark age, where tight budgets and a technology pissing contest have taken priority over the art of manual animation.
CLXcool Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The works of Chuck Jones still live up today for today’s audiences, just ask one person out there who’s have heard of the Looney tunes cartoons and you’re bound to hear one of them being a Chuck Jones cartoon. Chuck started doing cartoons similar to Disney’s style, but he later found his own style in cartooning in his later years at Warner Bros animation. Disney used to meant something for people before they began to rush out those sequels to their popular films(at least it ended when John Lassester got in charge of Disney’s animation, with the exception of the Tinkerbell movies). Most of the anime that is spewed out is just cashing in on the profits(with pokemon and anything that follow routes of that being proof) while others can prove that the Japanese can explore areas that haven’t been explored with animation and blow away an audience.

Flash animation can be good, but its mostly used in bad cases. Johnny test being an example on doing flash animation to the point where it looks like an online webcartoon done by a lazy artist who couldn’t draw to save his or her own life. Friendship is magic is a good show. Lauren Faust made sure of it that she would make a good cartoon for both kids and adults(that even includes the fathers really). The characters are well developed and have the personality of each girl you’d likely come across by in a lifetime. Adventure time(while I may have mixed feelings for) is great but it just feels like a complete acid trip that was almost rejected by Mad. Not saying its bad, but its not my cup of tea either. But it’s a weird show that is good none of the less. True, we are heading towards a dark age with tv animation. Shows that are animated that are good for both audiences (kid and adult) are hard to come by. Most of them either get made or rejected by executives who only think of it as a one-audience thing. Or worst, it gets canceled and not renewed for a second season. I know that has happened with both Sym Bionic titan and Motorcity. Actions like these just give animation fans the impression that people don’t care about
good animation, and good animation is expensive. While animation that doesn’t look good and is very crappy(shows like Johnny test and Problem Solverz) are not so expensive to make.
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2012  Professional
... Who in the world says they want to go back to cartoons of the 40's, of all times??

The closest I've seen to that is people who like classic Looney Tunes and would prefer watching those to whatever newer tripe they have.
CLXcool Featured By Owner Oct 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The type of people who want the cartoons back in the 40s are the people who are WAY too nostalgic over animation.

All the attempts Ive seen to mimic the Looney tunes and golden age cartoons are downright stinkers. I couldn't stand tiny toons, I couldn't get into it. Dont even get me started on the wacky world of tex avery, that right there is the big insult there.
:iconfirstxaidxkit:
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Some people just like art styles that look like more effort was put into them. :shrug:
CLXcool Featured By Owner Oct 16, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thats the nostalgic nutcases for ya.
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Oct 16, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
Nutcases for expressing an opinion that's different than yours?
CLXcool Featured By Owner Oct 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
No. Nutcases that do nothing but complain about how much cartoons suck nowadays and wish they(the studios) would make cartoons like the ones in the 90's.
FIRSTxAIDxKIT Featured By Owner Oct 17, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
So they're nutcases for expressing opinions that are different than yours.

How bout instead of sitting here bitching about other people's opinions, why don't you go work on your art. :pat:
:icondwig:
Dwig Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2012
I've read your entire post, you have some decent points but I want you to elaborate a certain point for me.

"Most of the jokes that were made in the cartoons that were made in those three different time periods are OUTDATED by today’s standards."

How so? The pacing? The timing? Some of the gags are indeed dated when it comes to what they're poking fun at but I feel that 90's cartoons are modern enough. I'd like you to tell me how something like 2 Stupid Dogs is "dated".

Please note that I'm not advocating that people get by and simply copy older cartoons with no spin of their own, a lot of these great cartoons were made with insane budgets or were made to be cheap and easy to animate (1920's black and white stuff). To simply copy it would result in something that would feel like a cheap fake.

We have some 90's-wannabe stuff like Regular Show and Adventure Time and neither have caused me to chuckle.
Add a Comment: