The difference between men's glasses and women's glasses

So, today I had an eye appointment, surprise surprise my eyes are worse. After I'm done I head over to the adjoining store to get some new glasses.

I walked in and spotted a pair of glasses that looked just like mine. I head over to the display and get cut off rather instantly. That display was "Men's glasses, you'll want to look at this display" said the gentlemen working there. He redirected me to the "Women's" frames and started to work with me on finding a pair. I politely wait out his help, as I keep telling him I just want simple frames like the ones I have now. I occasionally glance back longingly at the glasses I had spotted earlier.

For some reason there is no such thing as plain frames for women. ALL of them had some sort of decoration, which is fine for someone looking for that, but not me. None of these glasses fit my face, all of the frames were weird shapes, and they were straight up too small and an uncomfortable fit. Finally I'm left alone when another customer comes in and needs help.

I turned around, walked to the "Men's" display, picked up the glasses I had initially spotted, and put them on. They fit perfectly, were the right shape, pretty much exactly what my current pair looks like but with darker frames. I bought the "Men's" glasses.

It's pretty much complaining over nothing, but come on, why are glasses catagorized by gender? I'm sure some of the designs on the "Women's" glasses a guy would like (some of them were simple clean designs, not what you'd picture as girly), and like me there are plenty of women who just want a pair of frames that are simple and look nice.

tl;dr: I'm a girl and I needed to get new glasses, but the employee at the store wouldn't let me look at the men's glasses while he was helping me.
Comments181
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
He was just doing his job, but you could have refused him and told him you wanted that pair. It's his job to help the customer regardless of sex :/
Back in my day, we didn't have boys' and girls' McDonald's Happy Meal toys! The toys were for all kids!
Glasses have a sex now? wtf?
what are you, retarded? glasses are glasses, it's the frames that make the difference :lol:
They are separated due to the size of the glasses. The last thing they want is your glasses falling off your face because they are too big for it. Also so people can find what they want easier. That said, when I went to get my glasses sales person did show me girls frames. Its the persons job to make sure you get something that fits your face. I ended up getting mens frames for my sunglasses and a very cute pair of glasses I would have never seen if she had not done her job.
I realize that it is his job to help me find frames that will fit my face. In the store I went to there is a very colourful difference between the "Mens" and "Womens" section. The last thing I want is to pay for a pair of frames that are going to fall off my face, and I certainly don't want a pair that is cutting into my face. Men aren't automatically larger than women, generally yes, all the time? no.

The guy did his job, when I went to pick up the glasses he shortened the arms to make sure they fit my face, helped adjust the bridge pads, and helped make sure that they fit comfortably. My complaint though was not about how well he did his job. It's about me not appreciating being pushed into a female stereotype.
Ah. I guess I have just gotten use to being pushed to girly things. Since I am a girl and it happens. Nothing to complain about its life. He knows nothing of your taste. Thus he was more then likely trying to show you what other girls your age like.
I'd had some plain maroon ones at one point, and after that I got some with decoration (just stripes, but obviously meant to be feminine) because I liked the lens shape better. Probably going to look for something plainer next time because it would be better for wearing with costumes, though. (I know I could just not wear glasses, but not being able to see and wearing contacts would both not be fun.) Usually I just re-use the same frames until they break. And sometimes after that ask if the same frame is still being made |'D

One of my friends has gold frames because she thought they looked Victorian. I'd do that myself, except that after wearing matte glasses so long I'd probably get distracted by the shinies |'D
nah I feel you on the costumes thing. I went to a convention and cosplayed with a group of friends, and one was being nitpicky about my character not having glasses. I'm not about to walk around a con blind not being able to see and enjoy what I'm doing, and there's just no way I'm using contacts... ever.

O: oh man, I could not have shiny frames haha. I like mine thin and not noticeable when I'm looking xD
People shouldn't be so nitpicky about that. Not like you're professionals or anything, the point is to be fun, which doesn't go well with being half blind, and you can always take them off just for photos.

Yeah, same here. Though it did just occur to me that I might be able to find matte gold... but I've always had maroon-ish frames and I have a feeling light colors wouldn't look good on me anyway.
You know, I think this gender categorizing stuff is too much, because it's with everything now! Clothes yes, of course, and perfume spray, but EVERYTHING? What seems to be in style now is the decorative thick ones that make you look emo or punk or whatever, even when they're not. What I always thought was ugly were the mens ones with the two metal bars across the top. Think Dwight from The Office, that kind.
I would go with yes for some clothes (I don't think there should be anything wrong with a guy wearing a dress, but you know how society is), but jeans and t-shirts aren't really a gender specific thing.

Yeah I agree with the dwight glasses, but it's personal preference? haha
T-shirts shouldn't be, sweatshirts and sweaters shouldn't be, and coats shouldn't be, nor socks. Jeans though...some styles might be able to go unisex, but that depends how each person is built and generally women have curves. This crazy trend of mens and womens body wash, shampoo, and even bath sponges is ridiculous! I once had a college roommate criticize me for using Axe body spray because it wasn't womens...but then again she complained about EVERYTHING and everyone hated her.
Tomorrow, we're (hopefully) picking up my boyfriend's new glasses. After trying out most of the ones in the men's section, and deciding that they were just too angular to suit his face, we wandered over to the women's section.

...trying to find a nice, simple pair was torture. All he was looking for was something nice, simple, minimalistic, basically NOT something for obnoxious old ladies having a midlife crisis. Our favorite was the nice, simple, rimless ones...that would have cost us $100 more than we had. :stare: We are both still baffled as to why the simplest possible frames were among the most expensive in the store. But, as soon as I have the money on hand, we're getting them anyway - seeing as he's probably on the last prescription update he's getting until he has laser surgery, seems like a good investment to me. Luckily, we found some nice ones, and I'm gonna see if I can't talk him into making his next dA ID a photo one when he gets them. But it took almost the entire hour and a half that it took to get him in for his exam. :stare:

Then again, women's eyeglass frames are just like any other fashion today - someone shits it out and hypes it, manage to convince some easily-swayed individual to buy it, customer realizes that it's horse-ass ugly by the time the next season rolls around...designer shits out new design, repeat.

So glad no one in my "family" keeps up with those things. (We can tell what's ugly no matter how overhyped it is! :dummy:) I still have shirts that I got when I was 15, as does he; we shop at thrift stores, the only reason he has two pairs of casual shoes is because they were on 2-for-1 sale...and we see glasses as something long-term. Even our girlfriend (...so yes, we have a very unconventional romantic life; this is not the point, move along) will often joke with us about how ridiculous these things are, which just goes to disprove the stereotype that it's a "guy thing." Actually, it's a person-who-uses-money-wisely-rather-than-spending-it-all-on-trendcrap-and-wondering-where-it-went thing.

But really, have these designers never seen a man with softer features? Or a woman who's not a sucker for ugly "trends", or just generally doesn't want to look like a rhinestone, glitter, or paint factory exploded all over their glasses?
same problem here, it's just marketing: guy's an idiot for trying to tell a customer she can't have what she wants. (womens glasses tend to be pricier aroud here...maybe he was doing it because of that?) I like small to medium rectangular lenses, heavy frames in red, black or silver, high bridge, and IF there's any decoration, it needs to be 'strong' rather than 'pretty'. So I usually wind up with men's frames. its a waste of breath trying to tell that to the salesguy who's determined that you'd look cuter or whatever in the latest fashion, or some outlandish $600 horror with crystal flowers coming off the sides...
are you the same loser who was complaining about his glasses on here? :stare:
...no? this is the only thing I've posted about in regards to my glasses.

I'm also female if you knew for sure that the other poster was male (going by your use of the male pronoun).
might have been just where u were buying them from. there's a pretty good selection of fancy frames and regular ones for both men and women where i get mine, as well as a nice unisex selection as well, which tend to be more conservative ^ ^
I guess there are a thousand reasons why there are so many products for men or women, that could be used for both genders. Is it really necessary to have thousands of body washes?

I went to search for new glasses just yesterday. In my store the glasses are not categorized by gender. I never thought about that, but I'm glad it's like that :)
I HATE the commercials/jokes about how women use a million different hygiene products and men use just one bottle that's shampoo/conditioner/body wash/toothpaste/fresh pair of socks/etc.
When that's how they market products to women, how they need something different for everything, and how we need this this and that.

You are lucky! That's how most things should be.
Hahaha, exactly xD

9 in 1!!
Yeah, me too. That's ridiculous.
Last year I learned to read the ingredients of cosmetic products and it was really funny to find out that a shampoo and a conditioner can be nearly the same and sometimes something completely different.
I also hate it when commercials try to tell me that I suddenly need a brush for washing my face. Have you seen that one? That's so stupid, but they'll have success, I'm sure.
I actually just use vinegar and baking soda as shampoo/conditioner. It's better for your hair and doesn't have the chemicals that can be found in shampoo/conditioner. Plus it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I usually put in a bit of orange oil to give it a scent, but otherwise your hair just smells like... hair.

I stopped watching television years ago, but I'm not surprised that they're trying to sell something like that after the ridiculous success of the snuggie.