Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 2, 2010
Link

Statistics

Replies: 229

The accelerated pace of changing technology is immoral and a violation of human rights.

:iconstephenl:
StephenL Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2010
My experience in life is leading to the conclusion that the fast pace changes in technology are out of control. The end result is causing humanity more hardship, suffering, sacrifice, and wasted time than improvements or a better quality of life.

First example is education. Past generations had the likely experience of obtaining a higher education and finding themselves with job skills and careers that lasted a life time.
Occasionally they would need some minor adjustments and upgrades to their skills yet this was likely to be paid by an employer or relatively inexpensive for the information and knowledge to be acquired. Life was a lot less stressful and people had far more leisure time to pursue personal interests whether that their interest was family or hobbies.

I discovered throughout the 1990ís and 2000ís decade that technology constantly makes everything you strive to accomplish or persevere to acquire obsolete in an increasingly shorter time span. I discovered that after many years of persistence and five years of educational college training that after graduation my skills acquired through education were considered obsolete by most employment placement services after one year. That is definitely a no win situation for someone that is poor and had to struggle to obtain a college education. Letís get real here; you spend over four years in educational institutions training and learning things that become obsolete in a year? If you happen to graduate at a time when the economy is sluggish with recession type circumstances and employment opportunities are extremely scarce you are out of luck by time the economy improves. After time passes you increasingly here the advice that you need to re-train and educate yourself in something else since everything you learned in the past has been taken to the obsolescence useless garbage bin. You realistically have to be in a higher income earning situation to keep up with all this change. Poor people may be able to give it one try yet lack the resources to continue re-educating themselves without causing serious damage to their personal lives and giving up the basic necessities of life, another no win situation. Again even the rich people that can afford to spend tens of thousands in dollars to constantly re-educate and upgrade their employment skills are still finding their lives in a state of less personal time for pursuits past generations were always allowed to have.

Second example is computer technology. I recently had a computer with Windows XP on it that took approximately 6 years of constant practice and use to finally utilize all the possible features and understand how to best use them and apply their capabilities. After six years of constant trial and error along with practice I had the perfect set up for my needs and use of a computer. Then one recent day the hardware motherboard bit the dust. I have no money to replace anything and was perfectly happy making the best with what I had. Unfortunately what I had was designed for obsolescence in a short time period thanks to this nightmare of fast paced constant changing technology. Parts and accessories become obsolete and useless while the total cost of replacing everything you had at one time becomes unbearable in todayís economic declining circumstances.

Again education in college is what makes you believe the need for computers in everyday life are necessary. Now I am stuck with a broken computer that will cost more to repair than a new one, both of which I have no money or resources for. Life has suddenly become chaotic and impossible. I have an old electric typewriter at home yet no longer can you find ink cartridges for that. You cannot even look for employment these days without internet hook up at home and a computer to type up resumes. You cannot put a serious effort into searching for employment through public places that offer computers since your time is always limited and everything you need to pursue moves at a snails pace.

Why does Microsoft need to come up with a new operating system every three years and then completely move older versions from the market? Why do computers and their hardware have such a short life span when what you have is perfectly suitable for your needs? We are not all millionaires that can afford new hardware and software every two or three years, the situation is a nightmare and a no win circumstance. The environmentalists are constantly warning us that we are creating far too much human garbage and waste yet manufacturers and creators of all this modern technology keep making all these products to have a short life span. They create more garbage and waste than is necessary causing everyone a waste of resources and time with their constant out of control change. Computers should last a person at least 20 years along with support, affordable replacement parts, and compatibility with internet hook up.

Today you constantly hear on the news from politicians, economists, and business leaders that the current recession is the result of people living beyond their means in the past.
That point of view is simply rotten no good lies, since they promote all this constant change and accelerated obsolescence of consumer goods we need and have learned through their educational systems that are necessary to obtain employment and/or survive in todayís society.

My personal conclusion is that all this fast paced changing technology is ruthless exploitation of citizens designed to control and oppress people. This fast paced changing technology is a violation of human rights and immoral.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkoui:
Koui Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2010   General Artist
reminds me of this [link]
:icondoomsday-device:
Doomsday-Device Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Technological change isn't hard to keep up with. It's just a matter of wanting to constantly learn. If you're worried about skills to developed through a 4-year degree becoming "obsolete" in just a year, it's only because you stopped learning to keep yourself abreast of changes so that your skills gradually increase to handle the changes in current technology. And as far as computers go, there is no reason is should take anybody 6 solid years of fiddling with an OS to get the settings into a state that you are happy with. And, in today's world, repairing a computer should be second-nature to a supposed technological professional.

Basically, all of your problems seem to stem from your own complacency and unwillingness to keep yourself up to date.
:icondoctiloquent:
Doctiloquent Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2010
Holy conspiracy theory batman!
Technology is not designed to last for economic reasons, but not to OPRESS people. Unless you take a communistic view.

Even then the advances in technology have significantly improved all our lives, just as the printing press did when it was invented.

Also, you must be a drunk university lecturer or something.
:iconhaanpere:
HaanPere Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2010   Digital Artist
How fucking little money do you make if you can't even afford a computer? $5 a month?
:icontoxxistorm:
Toxxistorm Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2010
Lastly:

"I discovered that after many years of persistence and five years of educational college training that after graduation my skills acquired through education were considered obsolete by most employment placement services after one year. That is definitely a no win situation for someone that is poor and had to struggle to obtain a college education. "

You know what sucks more?
Doctors. They need to spend at the very least 6 years, but up to 12-15 years in college to become one.

Now you work at a hospital. If you do not do research, case files or conferences withing 1 year, everything you learned? Out the window. The medical field is fastly advancing and all doctors HAVE to keep up and I personally am VERY glad. I would rather bust some peoples nuts then have outdated medical techniques.

A good example is my spinal surgery. If I had it 5 years ago I would've been in a full body cast for a month plus. Now I could have my surgery and walk out the door in 7 days. I personally love that technology is rapidly increasing. A month in a body cast? Pass.
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2010
Second example is computer technology. I recently had a computer with Windows XP on it that took approximately 6 years of constant practice and use to finally utilize all the possible features and understand how to best use them and apply their capabilities.

1. Lol Windows
  2. The fuck are you doing, launching nuclear missiles with it? "6 years of constant practice" You make it sound like you were in the fucking dojo blocking flying keyboards and smashing computer monitors in half with your nose.
:iconstephenl:
StephenL Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2010
Take a look at my gallery here at DA. Creating artwork takes a lot of time and practice.
Working with software for that generation of operating system specifically Windows XP takes a lot of time and practice. I work with animation programs, digital art programs, Microsoft Office and Open Office, Graphic design programs and illustration and others. Specifically, Corel Painter, Corel Photo Paint, Corel Draw, Corel Animation for Graphic Suite, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Art Rage, Microsoft Office, Open Office, NVU, Scribus 123, The GIMP, Peach Tree Accounting, The KPT Collection plug in for special effects filter, and a multitude of other open source and utility programs.

Actually did write a program to launch a space craft or missile in a Computer Science college course taken many years ago with a Mac and Pascal program back in the year 1990.
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2010
Oh, well if you're actually launching nuclear missiles, then I understand completely. Carry on.
Flagged as Spam
Flagged as Spam
Add a Comment: