Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 2, 2010
Link

Statistics

Replies: 229

The accelerated pace of changing technology is immoral and a violation of human rights.

:iconstephenl:
StephenL Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2010
My experience in life is leading to the conclusion that the fast pace changes in technology are out of control. The end result is causing humanity more hardship, suffering, sacrifice, and wasted time than improvements or a better quality of life.

First example is education. Past generations had the likely experience of obtaining a higher education and finding themselves with job skills and careers that lasted a life time.
Occasionally they would need some minor adjustments and upgrades to their skills yet this was likely to be paid by an employer or relatively inexpensive for the information and knowledge to be acquired. Life was a lot less stressful and people had far more leisure time to pursue personal interests whether that their interest was family or hobbies.

I discovered throughout the 1990ís and 2000ís decade that technology constantly makes everything you strive to accomplish or persevere to acquire obsolete in an increasingly shorter time span. I discovered that after many years of persistence and five years of educational college training that after graduation my skills acquired through education were considered obsolete by most employment placement services after one year. That is definitely a no win situation for someone that is poor and had to struggle to obtain a college education. Letís get real here; you spend over four years in educational institutions training and learning things that become obsolete in a year? If you happen to graduate at a time when the economy is sluggish with recession type circumstances and employment opportunities are extremely scarce you are out of luck by time the economy improves. After time passes you increasingly here the advice that you need to re-train and educate yourself in something else since everything you learned in the past has been taken to the obsolescence useless garbage bin. You realistically have to be in a higher income earning situation to keep up with all this change. Poor people may be able to give it one try yet lack the resources to continue re-educating themselves without causing serious damage to their personal lives and giving up the basic necessities of life, another no win situation. Again even the rich people that can afford to spend tens of thousands in dollars to constantly re-educate and upgrade their employment skills are still finding their lives in a state of less personal time for pursuits past generations were always allowed to have.

Second example is computer technology. I recently had a computer with Windows XP on it that took approximately 6 years of constant practice and use to finally utilize all the possible features and understand how to best use them and apply their capabilities. After six years of constant trial and error along with practice I had the perfect set up for my needs and use of a computer. Then one recent day the hardware motherboard bit the dust. I have no money to replace anything and was perfectly happy making the best with what I had. Unfortunately what I had was designed for obsolescence in a short time period thanks to this nightmare of fast paced constant changing technology. Parts and accessories become obsolete and useless while the total cost of replacing everything you had at one time becomes unbearable in todayís economic declining circumstances.

Again education in college is what makes you believe the need for computers in everyday life are necessary. Now I am stuck with a broken computer that will cost more to repair than a new one, both of which I have no money or resources for. Life has suddenly become chaotic and impossible. I have an old electric typewriter at home yet no longer can you find ink cartridges for that. You cannot even look for employment these days without internet hook up at home and a computer to type up resumes. You cannot put a serious effort into searching for employment through public places that offer computers since your time is always limited and everything you need to pursue moves at a snails pace.

Why does Microsoft need to come up with a new operating system every three years and then completely move older versions from the market? Why do computers and their hardware have such a short life span when what you have is perfectly suitable for your needs? We are not all millionaires that can afford new hardware and software every two or three years, the situation is a nightmare and a no win circumstance. The environmentalists are constantly warning us that we are creating far too much human garbage and waste yet manufacturers and creators of all this modern technology keep making all these products to have a short life span. They create more garbage and waste than is necessary causing everyone a waste of resources and time with their constant out of control change. Computers should last a person at least 20 years along with support, affordable replacement parts, and compatibility with internet hook up.

Today you constantly hear on the news from politicians, economists, and business leaders that the current recession is the result of people living beyond their means in the past.
That point of view is simply rotten no good lies, since they promote all this constant change and accelerated obsolescence of consumer goods we need and have learned through their educational systems that are necessary to obtain employment and/or survive in todayís society.

My personal conclusion is that all this fast paced changing technology is ruthless exploitation of citizens designed to control and oppress people. This fast paced changing technology is a violation of human rights and immoral.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkoui:
Koui Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2010   General Artist
reminds me of this [link]
:icondoomsday-device:
Doomsday-Device Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Technological change isn't hard to keep up with. It's just a matter of wanting to constantly learn. If you're worried about skills to developed through a 4-year degree becoming "obsolete" in just a year, it's only because you stopped learning to keep yourself abreast of changes so that your skills gradually increase to handle the changes in current technology. And as far as computers go, there is no reason is should take anybody 6 solid years of fiddling with an OS to get the settings into a state that you are happy with. And, in today's world, repairing a computer should be second-nature to a supposed technological professional.

Basically, all of your problems seem to stem from your own complacency and unwillingness to keep yourself up to date.
:icondoctiloquent:
Doctiloquent Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2010
Holy conspiracy theory batman!
Technology is not designed to last for economic reasons, but not to OPRESS people. Unless you take a communistic view.

Even then the advances in technology have significantly improved all our lives, just as the printing press did when it was invented.

Also, you must be a drunk university lecturer or something.
:iconhaanpere:
HaanPere Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2010   Digital Artist
How fucking little money do you make if you can't even afford a computer? $5 a month?
:icontoxxistorm:
Toxxistorm Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2010
Lastly:

"I discovered that after many years of persistence and five years of educational college training that after graduation my skills acquired through education were considered obsolete by most employment placement services after one year. That is definitely a no win situation for someone that is poor and had to struggle to obtain a college education. "

You know what sucks more?
Doctors. They need to spend at the very least 6 years, but up to 12-15 years in college to become one.

Now you work at a hospital. If you do not do research, case files or conferences withing 1 year, everything you learned? Out the window. The medical field is fastly advancing and all doctors HAVE to keep up and I personally am VERY glad. I would rather bust some peoples nuts then have outdated medical techniques.

A good example is my spinal surgery. If I had it 5 years ago I would've been in a full body cast for a month plus. Now I could have my surgery and walk out the door in 7 days. I personally love that technology is rapidly increasing. A month in a body cast? Pass.
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2010
Second example is computer technology. I recently had a computer with Windows XP on it that took approximately 6 years of constant practice and use to finally utilize all the possible features and understand how to best use them and apply their capabilities.

1. Lol Windows
  2. The fuck are you doing, launching nuclear missiles with it? "6 years of constant practice" You make it sound like you were in the fucking dojo blocking flying keyboards and smashing computer monitors in half with your nose.
StephenL Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2010
Take a look at my gallery here at DA. Creating artwork takes a lot of time and practice.
Working with software for that generation of operating system specifically Windows XP takes a lot of time and practice. I work with animation programs, digital art programs, Microsoft Office and Open Office, Graphic design programs and illustration and others. Specifically, Corel Painter, Corel Photo Paint, Corel Draw, Corel Animation for Graphic Suite, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Art Rage, Microsoft Office, Open Office, NVU, Scribus 123, The GIMP, Peach Tree Accounting, The KPT Collection plug in for special effects filter, and a multitude of other open source and utility programs.

Actually did write a program to launch a space craft or missile in a Computer Science college course taken many years ago with a Mac and Pascal program back in the year 1990.
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2010
Oh, well if you're actually launching nuclear missiles, then I understand completely. Carry on.
:iconjulesthurgood:
JulesThurgood Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010
Fuck it and smoke a blunt. You don't hear me complaining.
Nice escape from reality yet it will not solve the problem and in the long run make the situation progressively get worse.
:iconjulesthurgood:
JulesThurgood Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2010
No, it'll make it better.
:iconshunoob:
Shunoob Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Technology moving quickly isn't your problem, you lagging behind is the problem. Scientific development stops for no one.
My problem is lack of resources to keep up, specifically money. I have no problem when the money is there to spend pursuing something I have a passion for. Unfortunately things for me personally are quite different from seven years ago when money was available to spend on the latest technology.
These hard times have brought about a change in perspective and realization that maybe longevity is a good thing, along with conservation and preservation. When you hear all the warnings from scientists about how we are overpopulating the world to dangerous levels where resources will become extremely scarce from over consumption it makes you feel as though constantly having to junk your gear every two to four years is not helping the problem.
It would be nice during these hard times if having the ability to continue with what you have were possible instead of everything breaking down and becoming useless. I have a scientific calculator that I bought back in my early college years of 1980 that still works. Why can't they make computers and accessories related to their use last at least 15 years? I realize everyone is in this game for the money hustle, yet they seem to be gaining enough market share by selling their products to the populations in emerging countries where standards of living are rising and people are starting to get into this technology. Why do they also have to create piles of useless garbage and junk for recycling that also is energy intensive in re-manufacturing in their attempt to sell the same thing with new bells and whistles to the same people over and over again.
:iconaxel-ray:
Axel-Ray Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
humans learn by mistakes, for example industry pollution, now everyone wants to go green to save our planet from our own mistake.
The problem is, if its already to late to fix what we broke? (yea, im talking about the Toyota incident)
:iconcryomundus:
Cryomundus Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010
My nearly 60 year parents can use Vista quite well.

Your knowledge of History is absolutely repulsive.

Also, there is a little thing called supply and demand. Should computers have lasted 20+ years, (For example the Amiga), we would not have computers today due to the fact that no money would have been made off of them, thus that branch of technology would die off. Also, we would lack a lot of today's medical advances as well, since computers spawned a lot of technological offshoots. Money is needed to even do what you say, yet if they lasted that long, and everyone had a computer, then manufacturers would lose money, eventually be forced to close, thus ending production, any kind of support and internet capabilities. Think of the long term consequences of what you say before you say it.

Also, education =/= technology. Technology is a small part of education, yes, but that does not make them one and the same.

Also, there's a little place called a LIBRARY.It has COMPUTERS FOR YOU TO USE. If you need to make a resume, go there.

Please note that I currently have one hell of a sinus headache and the above information may not be correct due to said headache.

I hate being sick. DX
My problem is lack of resources to keep up, specifically money. I have no problem when the money is there to spend pursuing something I have a passion for. Unfortunately things for me personally are quite different from seven years ago when money was available to spend on the latest technology.
These hard times have brought about a change in perspective and realization that maybe longevity is a good thing, along with conservation and preservation. When you hear all the warnings from scientists about how we are overpopulating the world to dangerous levels where resources will become extremely scarce from over consumption it makes you feel as though constantly having to junk your gear every two to four years is not helping the problem.
It would be nice during these hard times if having the ability to continue with what you have were possible instead of everything breaking down and becoming useless. I have a scientific calculator that I bought back in my early college years of 1980 that still works. Why can't they make computers and accessories related to their use last at least 15 years? I realize everyone is in this game for the money hustle, yet they seem to be gaining enough market share by selling their products to the populations in emerging countries where standards of living are rising and people are starting to get into this technology. Why do they also have to create piles of useless garbage and junk for recycling that also is energy intensive in re-manufacturing in their attempt to sell the same thing with new bells and whistles to the same people over and over again.
:iconalzircon:
alzircon Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Stop progressing so fast. Grandpa can't keep up.:iconshakecaneplz:
:iconnapoleon-bonaparte7:
Napoleon-Bonaparte7 Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010
TL;DR: I'm a technophobe hurrr technology is baaad
:icont-loid:
T-LOID Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010
Let me make it simple for you: You're slow, get with the times.

And it sucks that you can't afford a new computer but guess what, IT'S NOT THE FAULT OF TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENTS.
Correct. My attitude is starting to shift. I first started off into this venture with a promise that I would go at learning, practicing, and producing finished artwork with everything possible in time and resources. I also decided that whatever I could sell in finished products would be used to reinvest in new equipment necessary.
I have produced quite a lot of good finished product with digital artwork over the years as a result of my persistence and work.
I have been unable to sell any digital artwork produced from the use of computer technology, therefore there is no money to reinvest in updating or new equipment to continue.

Thanks to a lousy economy here in the USA I have no money to buy new equipment, having difficulty making ends meet. All the computer technology hardware is produced in China these days. That is part of the problem with the lousy economy here in the USA, we import far too much of what we consume and do not export enough. See made in China on everything when I open up my box and inspect parts inside. The Chinese do not seem interested in buying anything I produce with the products they make therefore I should not continue to buy stuff made in China.
Life's a game of give and take not a one sided I get everything. You might say that my problem is my inability to produce anything some one in China (or anywhere else for that matter) would take interest in consuming, my stuff for sale is useless. That is a simple value judgment. In fact, since all this Chinese made computer technology is leading me to waste time and money with nothing to show for all my hard work and effort, I guess that what they are trying to sell me is also something I can do without and useless. I spent 90% of my life without computers and technology, I can go back to living a lifestyle without.

I am still going to continue with artwork, for the time being all I can afford is traditional drawing paper and pencils. I have started a collection of drawings. In the past I have had some success in selling things occasionally done in traditional media of oil paintings, drawings, pastels, and poster designs. I never made any profits yet at least occasionally could sell something to help pay for the cost of supplies and materials needed to produced finished works.
:iconbytestream:
Bytestream Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
No.
:iconangelishi:
angelishi Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
6 years to learn XP?
Cupcake, the problem is you, not technology.

You're bloody stupid.
StephenL Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2010
6 years to learn XP?
Cupcake, the problem is you, not technology.

You're bloody stupid.

It took a couple days to learn how to navigate my way around XP.
It took another six years to occasionally stumble across things I never realized were in XP, and also picked up a lot of stuff from a book I purchased for $50 entitled Windows XP Inside Out, and another entitled Microsoft Office Inside Out for the 2003 version.
Over the years I mastered correcting my own problems through trial and error when a situation would present itself for correcting. That is how you learn the nuts and bolts of anything.

It also took me six years to master using some 15 different software applications designed for the Windows XP era. Programs such as; Windows Office 2003, Corel Painter (versions 8 and 9), Corel Draw Graphics Suite (2005 Version), Broderbund Print Shop Deluxe, PeachTree Accounting 2006, NVU, Open Office, Adobe Photoshop Elements (2004 Version), U-Lead Photo Impact 5, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Jasc Paint Shop Pro, Art Rage, and some open source programs for accounting and graphic arts such as Scribus, Blender (something I really never really got use efficiently yet had plans to learn), etc.
If you believe you could use all this type of stuff efficiently and utilize all the possible variable options to the best of your ability in less than a year, you are deceitful. Give it a try and see how long you really need to utilize your resources to the best of your ability, I guarantee you this will take many years.
angelishi Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
Blah blah blah blah di bi blah.:lol:
:iconmngamojemo:
mngamojemo Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010
Past generations had the likely experience of obtaining a higher education and finding themselves with job skills and careers that lasted a life time

Not really, no.
angelishi Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
BUT HELPING WITH CROPS WHILE YOUR BOSS GIVES YOU A SHITTY HUT FOR YOU TO LIVE IN IS TOTALLY A HIGHER EDUCATION, AND IT DOES LAST FOR A LIFE TIME.
:icondaethia:
Daethia Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010
baaaw I can't afford to buy a new computer every five years.
Baaaw I use windows xP even though it came out almost twelve years ago, microsoft should keep supporting meeee
Get over it, buy a new motherboard, switch to linux.
StephenL Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010
Bad, bad idea. We need longevity instead of consumer exploitation.
:icondaethia:
Daethia Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010
twelve years is long enough for technology.
Its idiots like you that don't understand Hackers, Virus writers and the military.
If we were still using twelve year old processors in our military computers, we'd be fucked.
If we were still using an obsolete unstable OS, Hackers and Virus writers would surpass us in advancement and no computer would be safe.
Computers aren't cars, dipshit.
:iconscythelust:
ScytheLust Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
Supply and demand.
Longevity, preservation, and conservation. The world should not be controlled by the monarchs of capitalistic exploitation, deception, and chicanery.
:iconscythelust:
ScytheLust Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
Are you just sitting in front of the thesaurus section on dictionary.com? Do you even know what any of the words you're using mean?
:icontoxxistorm:
Toxxistorm Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2010
That's hardly a complaint about technology, that's about people and economics in general. Don't blame the eveil computers.
:icontheladydracula:
TheLadyDracula Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Become a hermit then?
You need to be wealthy like Howard Hughes was to try anything like that.
:icontheladydracula:
TheLadyDracula Featured By Owner Dec 5, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Now you're just creating problems.
:icondigi-shaman-of-fire:
Digi-Shaman-of-Fire Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Enter key.

Use it more.

Also tl;dr hoar.
Wow, that's one hell of an active avatar you have there, looks really chaotic.
:icondigi-shaman-of-fire:
Digi-Shaman-of-Fire Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010  Hobbyist Digital Artist
ikr
:icontotenveloren:
TotenVeloren Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2010
Is it that hard to save up for a new computer? Really? People who are on welfare have Macs, dude.

Even if my laptop dies, I'll just accept fate and use PART OF MY SALARY TO GET ANOTHER ONE. SALARIES COME FROM JOBS.
If technology doesn't progress, we will never learn new things. We'd be dinosaurs like you and that's a scary thing to happen.
Change has evolved into something that is unbearable and too fast paced.
I serious doubt your comment about people on welfare being able to afford Macs, well at least honest people playing by the rules of the game.

We need longevity to help reduce waste, both in material goods, and human valuable time.
If I were a millionaire, buying a new computer every two years would be a piece of cake, in fact I would most likely have several different ones simultaneously in use. Problem is most people in today's horrible economic situation are experiencing declines in their yearly earnings and disposable income available to spend on consumer goods. Learning new things may be your objective and value judgment in life yet for me mastering what I have available is more important a goal and objective.
You cannot live your life chasing after every new idea and thing that comes along, you'll get lost in a maze of confusion.
:icontotenveloren:
TotenVeloren Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010
And that's how we came to this level of progression.
If I've never seen things like that, I would never make that sort of comment. Some people are bad at prioritizing.

That's why I strive to get better jobs so I can afford more shit, see.
I can live my life that way, it's a thing called the advertising industry. If I stayed in one place, the others will overtake me then I will get fired and die. \o/
:iconheysawbones:
heysawbones Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2010  Professional General Artist
On one hand, I understand your frustration, but once you cut through the logorrhea, it's honestly a little childish. Everyone's already said what I would've said, especially ~DJ0Hybrid.

Technological progress could theoretically infringe on human rights, but none of the things you described above qualify as that - which isn't even to suggest that your descriptions were accurate in any way. First world problems, much?
No, it really is childish like a little spoiled kid to always want to have the latest toy or latest technology. I prefer to master what resources I have invested my hard earned money and resources in. I also expect my hard earned resources and investment to last me the time it takes to accomplish the goal of mastering to the best of my potential and beyond to a point of applying my efforts to some productive use. We need longevity, preservation, and conservation, not a giant disposable waste land of products and human energy as the result of spoiled little brats that have to have the latest and biggest toy every time something new comes out.
:iconheysawbones:
heysawbones Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2010  Professional General Artist
The childish thing I'm talking about isn't coveting the newest, shiniest thing, which I would agree can be very childish. The childish thing I'm talking about is conflating technological progress necessarily with excess in that fashion. It seems defensive.
:iconmpsai:
MPsai Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2010   Digital Artist
Yeah technological progress is stupid, we should just stop researching anything altogether.
In many respects that is a correct form of deductive reasoning.
So many times it seems like human energy and potential is wasted on theories that draw exactly the opposite conclusions, from a scientific perspective of research and development.

A certain example of current memory comes to mind here. One day I hear a news report that scientific research has proven that people should take more vitamin D due to it's health improvement value.
The next day they tell you just the opposite, that another research project has concluded that taking too much vitamin D is a hazard to certain aspects of health.

Seems to me that all you get out of these PHD's is "Piled Higher and Deeper".
Add a Comment: