"omfg its ANIMAL ABUSE to feed baby chickens to snakes!"

NO.

On YouTube there's a lot of videos showing snakes eating their prey. One of them in particular shows a chick getting eaten alive by a python. The uploader, JonahVore, has the camera up close where all the details can be seen.

So lo and behold, among the more stupid comments I saw in the legion of commenters crying out about how it's sick and that it was animal abuse for a snake to eat its prey.

How the hell is it animal abuse? Chickens aren't going endangered, THERE IS NOTHING ABUSIVE ABOUT IT. If you don't have the balls (or ovaries) to watch your snake eat live prey (and you DO have to watch it in case the mouse bites the snake and harms it) then get a snake that can eat frozen mice. JonahVore is either the biggest animal sadist on YouTube or one of YouTube's biggest troll.

Or both. There's something a little strange about a guy who posts gruesome videos of animals being eaten up close (and some of his videos consist of just filming the caged food, as though building up the unnerve), but hey, it's the circle of life. The reptiles don't care about showing off how they kill their prey, they just want to eat.

NOT ANIMAL ABUSE.

tl;dr: Hippies
Comments356
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
"How the hell is it animal abuse?"

Uhh, because some dickhead made a little chick suffer a slow and terrible death by giving it to another animal, then filmed it for laughs?

If this was done to a dog or cat, then the person would find himself in a jail cell. Double standards are amazing aren't they? But I suppose since it's just a chicken, and not as cute as a dog, whatever you do with it doesn't matter I suppose?

How are videos like these different than those sick, crush fetish ones? I guess they're not animal abuse too! Circle of life, circle of life! Rofl.
I guess they're not animal abuse too!

No, they're not, you're right on track.
Did I read that correctly?

Are you telling me, that women who crush small kittens, rodents, birds, etc slowly with their high heels and filming it for sexual satisfaction is not animal abuse?
Is a snake eating and a woman crushing small kittens with high heels the same thing? No, nor is it the same concept. Filming both might be, but not the action in itself.
Next thing they're going to complain is that it's animal abuse for a rat to get eaten by a snake :|
That depends on context.
[link]

As with the other thread, I recommend this video. What is animal abuse is entirely a matter of context - giving a pre-killed mouse to a snake is not animal abuse. But throwing a live one in there, while it's being recorded for shits and giggles? That is where the issue gets blurry.
rofl I love how he calls them "phags".
It is animal abuse.

Most of these stupid videos are done for the person's entertainment, you often hear giggling/cheering as the prey animal is in misery.

Chickens aren't going endangered, THERE IS NOTHING ABUSIVE ABOUT IT.

How is this relevant?

There's something a little strange about a guy who posts gruesome videos of animals being eaten up close (and some of his videos consist of just filming the caged food, as though building up the unnerve), but hey, it's the circle of life.

Of course there is - people like that are psychopaths, deriving pleasure from the pain they cause other living creatures. It isn't the "circle of life", it's of a douchebag with two animals in captivity who finds it necessary to film this shit for their own entertainment. It's not the snake's fault, it is the human's. Your first mistake was not to make the distinction between the wild and captivity - in the wild it is all fair game, no hold barred. But in an enclosure, the person has a choice of how to go about feeding.

And posting videos on YT of completely set-up situations of animals fighting to the death for entertainment strikes me as being sadistic. I wonder what your reaction would be if it were another animal instead?
lolol rabid rodent lover. :lol:
lolol rabid uneducated Nazi-wannabe. :lol:
HAHA ORIGHUNUL INSULT
Although we're having that debate, I lol'd at this comment.
No, it's not animal abuse. Just because this Vorephile does it because he enjoys getting a hard-on does not make the chick's life any more miserable. It certainly makes the snake's life miserable to be eating both a rat and chick (from what I saw in the video), but it's the circle of life as far as I'm concerned. If you don't like snakes eating live prey then do not get one that likes to eat live prey.

Most of these stupid videos are done for the person's entertainment, you often hear giggling/cheering as the prey animal is in misery.

Which I don't agree with. It's sadistic. But it's not animal abuse, it's people filming it because they, again, either get some weird fetish from it or because they like to piss people off by filming live prey get eaten.

But in an enclosure, the person has a choice of how to go about feeding.

Not if the snake is picky about its food. Some can be trained to eat dead food, others can't. The person has a choice of what snake to get.
No, it's not animal abuse. Just because this Vorephile does it because he enjoys getting a hard-on does not make the chick's life any more miserable.

Why isn't it animal abuse though? You say it isn't but you don't give reasons. All the signs are there mate - that the person gets a hard on is besides the point. The fact that he created a situation to induce fear/pain to another animal made said animal more miserable. He could have humanely killed it beforehand and there would be no issue at all, aside from this obvious fetish crap.

Deliberately inducing pain to an animal is abuse, "feeder" animal or not. The person causes the chick to die horribly when it is not necessary. It is no different, in principle, to any other instances of animal abuse where people can avoid inflicting cruelty.

Which I don't agree with. It's sadistic. But it's not animal abuse, it's people filming it because they, again, either get some weird fetish from it or because they like to piss people off by filming live prey get eaten.

How can the action be sadistic if it is not a form of abuse? You might want to redefine your definition of abuse there. So the guy pisses other people off by being a cruel twat? Well, there you go. Enough said.

The point is, the animal was subjected to an amount of fear/pain that was not necessary at all. The person got pleasure out of it. This is abuse, it is a no-brainer. I'm looking at the event on its own merits, not by what species of animal is involved.

Not if the snake is picky about its food.

Then they're not trying hard enough.
He could have humanely killed it beforehand and there would be no issue at all

Do you know that? Do you know for sure if his snake would be willing to eat carrion? I understand the video claimed that all predators will scavenge, but not all snakes will eat dead things.

The fact that he created a situation to induce fear/pain to another animal made said animal more miserable.

So just because it is in captivity means it's animal abuse, then? When it's out in the wild it's perfectly all right but here, it's suddenly a big deal?

Now you said that in the wild it's "fair game", and the animal perhaps has a chance to escape. That's true, but the animal would be feeling terror and pain regardless of whether it was in the wild or not. Or that it's animal abuse because the owner has a choice of inflicting misery on the prey.

So then, again, get a new snake that will not eat the prey alive. Get one that constricts it or is known to actually eat frozen mice. I have had plenty of snakes that will refuse frozen mice (one in particular actually did accept it for a while, but then would not accept any more dead ones).

I'm not denying that killing prey beforehand isn't humane, because it is. The few snakes I have gotten that will swallow prey alive is pretty revolting to watch, at least for me, but it was necessary for that particular snake. Most of the other snakes I had squeezed its prey to death or accepted frozen mice. So why am I saying this? Because I know, for the umpteenth time, there are quite a number of snakes that will simply not eat dead things.

Do you know that? Do you know for sure if his snake would be willing to eat carrion? I understand the video claimed that all predators will scavenge, but not all snakes will eat dead things.

Because the person responsible for the video did it for shits and giggles, thus there was an ulterior motive to it all. Snakes can be converted to pre-killed, you just have to put in a little effort. The main issue here though is that he derived pleasure from another animal's pain, regardless whether the snake eats live or dead.

So just because it is in captivity means it's animal abuse, then? When it's out in the wild it's perfectly all right but here, it's suddenly a big deal?

That's right. Because we have no control over what happens in the wild, but while we have animals in captivity, we have the responsibility to ensure that they don't suffer unnecessarily. Animals in the wild are just following their natural instincts, there's no malice at all. Whereas it is something different in a controlled environment, with a human being who knows what he/she is doing and understands the implications of it.

Now you said that in the wild it's "fair game", and the animal perhaps has a chance to escape. That's true, but the animal would be feeling terror and pain regardless of whether it was in the wild or not. Or that it's animal abuse because the owner has a choice of inflicting misery on the prey.

Your last statement is exactly my point. Whether the animal will be in agony or not in the wild on its own is not relevant, because that has nothing to do with our own actions as human beings. We have the capacity to decide how to treat those under our care, sure a wild mouse will also suffer from being eaten alive but it's a world away from deliberately introducing a domesticated animal for the same thing.

So then, again, get a new snake that will not eat the prey alive.

I don't have any intention of owning one.

The few snakes I have gotten that will swallow prey alive is pretty revolting to watch, at least for me, but it was necessary for that particular snake. Most of the other snakes I had squeezed its prey to death or accepted frozen mice. So why am I saying this? Because I know, for the umpteenth time, there are quite a number of snakes that will simply not eat dead things.

Fair enough. There are many guides on how to convert picky snakes to pre-killed if you're interested, it's a win for all parties IMO.

Though my main beef is that the person induced suffering to the animal and posted in on YT as entertainment. That kind of thing has always shit me - it's sadistic and if this guy were living in Australia, he'd be prosecuted by the RSPCA.
There are many guides on how to convert picky snakes to pre-killed if you're interested, it's a win for all parties IMO.

I no longer own any snakes, but I would definitely be interested in that. I do much perfer having snakes eat pre-killed prey than the other option. :iconpukeplz:
and you DO have to watch it in case the mouse bites the snake and harms it

What a failsnake.
wtf?
people also feed snakes mice and rats. its completely normal
maybe this snake just perfers baby chicks
plus we eat chickens all the time
ppl need to chill
Dunno if anyone has said it yet, but.. guy's got "vore" in his username, I think there's some ulterior motive in posting those particular videos.
I used to volunteer at this nature/wild animal rescue type place. They got in chicks for free to feed to the animals (raptors and snakes) because chicken farmers kill all their male chicks at one day of age and would just throw them away otherwise. It's hilarious that people would get upset over one chick.
However, the snake's owner is pretty fucking retarded too, so it's lose, all around.