Closed to new replies
October 12, 2009
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Fuck you, Scorecard Research.

:iconthaddeusquay:
ThaddeusQuay Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2009
1) WTF is going on with DA over the last several months, where all sorts of crap is being inserted into its pages. For a while, there were ads triggering my antivirus program, telling me that it was blocking access to a malicious website. Then there was an ad for Scientology, a financial scam posing as a religion. And now, over the last few weeks, my browser has been hanging when it tries to load the "beacon" from Scorecard Research. My CPU usage rapidly goes up and down, for several minutes, during which time an additional 1GB of RAM is used up, ending with me having to kill all of the browser's processes in Windows Task Manager. Therefore, this isn't simply a case where the server hosting the beacon is slow to respond. Something else is going on, and since DA's pages are so large and complex these days, I wouldn't be surprised if two or more things weren't somehow conflicting.

2) I don't think that Scorecard Research is the only marketing analytic used by DA. At the very least, there is also Google, but that only occasionally causes a problem, and never one as severe as the above. My point here is: Why does DA need more than one market research tool? One answer I can think of is that DA wants multiple ways of making itself look good, so that it can document its worth to a potential buyer. That's right, people: I am hereby officially starting the rumor that DA is up for sale. I'll go even further: DA is about to sell your artistic soul to the Russians, as did LiveJournal. Be prepared for random Russian babes suddenly watching your account and wanting to be your friend.

3) The Scorecard Research website says: "We require that any website using our web beacon and cookies to include a notice about the use of web beacons and cookies to collect anonymous traffic data and to state what choices are available to users regarding the use of the information collected."

What? I never personally received any such notice, at least not specific to Scorecard Research. I see that DA's Privacy Policy covers Lotame, but after quickly looking at both websites, I don't see any obvious connection between the two, so it seems that DA's Privacy Policy should be amended to include Scorecard Research.

TL;DR1 - Be awesome, like me, and use the ELinks browser on Linux, for when you don't need images or video, as it eliminates hangups caused by rogue webpage elements. [link] [link]

TL;DR2 - Some of the information I've posted here may be 100% wrong. Don't blame me, as I cannot find my pants today.

TL;DR3 - :matrixfight::sprint:

Devious Comments

:icondeshrubber:
deshrubber Featured By Owner Oct 15, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
Necro thread! :zombie:

:lock:
:iconhawkscomm:
HawksComm Featured By Owner Oct 15, 2010  Professional Digital Artist
scorecardresearch.com and b.scorecardresearch.com is a Malware/Trojan. You are seriously infected with a virus there.
It is embedded in advertiser code somehow - I'm not that much of an expert to know exactly how. It can infect your computer when you view the webpage and nothing blocks it.
Apparently scorecard is a tracker, it records where you go on the internet and more malicious versions of it are also a keylogger which can be used to snare your log-in passwords and stuff.

This may help you with removal ---> [link]
Or here ---> [link]
Other than that - I dunno, you'll probly have to get someone more proffesional to help you - or wipe your computer and reinstall.

Personally I use Firefox, with NoScript - and it was NoScript that alerted me to Scorecard's presence and its attempts to redirect. When I copy/pasted the url in my address bar, Malware Bytes blocked it and told me it was a malicious redirect. Researching further into this - it looks like this might be a new little monster that has been born somehow. So, ppl are catching it frequently and spreading it around like wildfire.

I have told the DA ppl about this nasty virus. So I guess they are aware of it. I filled out a ticket for it. Malwarebytes is a very good anti-malware/spyware program that can help you clean up there. It is free - but I purchased it because it saved my computer when it became infected with the RelevantKnowledge virus (which I think also came from DeviantArt)
:icondeshrubber:
deshrubber Featured By Owner Oct 15, 2010  Hobbyist General Artist
FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:bulletred: Do not post in old threads
Threads that have been inactive for longer than 2 months are considered "dead" and should not be posted in. Feel free to post a new thread with the same topic. Posting in a thread that has been inactive for more than 2 months is called "Thread Necromancy" and doing so will result in the thread being locked.
:iconmailde:
Mailde Featured By Owner Oct 26, 2009
I don`t like scripts from "Scorecard Research" too :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
:iconsane-intolerant:
Sane-Intolerant Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2009  Hobbyist Writer
I'm sure deviantART doesn't control the ads they display. That's why you can report certain ads that are not appropriate or give you viruses (Scientology and... well, that ad that gave you viruses, respectively).
:iconshunoob:
Shunoob Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2009  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I use FireFox with Adblock Plus, so I have no such problems.
Also, I'd say that it's more likely that a large part of dA's profits come from advertising.
:iconblue-bird-1494:
Blue-Bird-1494 Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2009
I also use Firefox with Adblock Plus, and no problems at all (and I also have a subby, so it doesn't matter :XD:)
:iconshunoob:
Shunoob Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2009  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:nod:
:iconblue-bird-1494:
Blue-Bird-1494 Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2009
:thumbsup:;)

Firefox+Adblock Plus= :iconepic-winplz:
:iconharmsc12:
harmsc12 Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2009
Dude, you seriously need to run a malware scan.
Add a Comment: