THREAT OF LEGALIZED ART THEFT!! SERIOUS!!

I saw a link in ~GarretIssacs's journal that led to an article regarding a very serious topic. Please read.

[link]

Now, as an artist...I'M FUCKING PISSED OFF. Anyway, please ANYONE, post this link in your journals and tell your watchers to do the same! This is a very serious issue and I doubt anyone wants their art stolen.
Comments380
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I haven't laughed so hard at people going nuts since the mudkip avatar change. :rofl:
Uhh... the whole Orphaned Works thing only applies to people who have been dead for more than 70 years and don't have copyrights over their work... even if the stupid thing did pass, you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Didn't we go over this last year?
talking about this little work in progress?

[link]

honestly, its not as bad as it is being hyped up to be, what the bill is discussing is quite fare, to quote a mate from another forum, it allows a owner of a work to retain rights for a good length of time and allows to collect, but it also gives another person who has the same work to touch it up or copy it and pay the original creator/owner of the work to pay a reasonable fee if found.

its, better then the archaic copyright laws of the past.
like i said to ~panda-jamican-pie,

"the poor mans copyright": make a copy of your artwork, poem, what have you, and mail it to yourself. that way, it has the official stamp of the post office that has the date on it, and you can say, if you find someone with your artwork, "hey, bitch, thats mine!" :D i do that with everything i draw. :)
WHAT THE FUCK! I may not be the first to say this but I'M PISSED OFF!

This has to be a joke. It's the biggest load of bull I've ever heard!
Don't freak out, $Moonbeam13 made a journal to explain what the law is REALLY about before you panic.
Hmmm, still seems suspicious. But I think I'll move from pissed off to neutral till further info comes out.
I really wish people would actually READ up on this before they get all stressed.

READ THIS ---->[link]
....I was going to post something about this. At least some people are aware of this. DA should make something of this since everyone on here is an artist.
GAWD, this sux soo much.
Now I'm FUCKING PISSEd That people keep bringing this crap up!!!!
It's not even a law yet! It's not like they're out to get us!
IT"S NOT GOING TO AFFECT YOUR EVERYDAy LIFE
I strongly encourage you to please read my newest article on the subject and to watch the accompanying video. [link]
You really need to read the full, original article [link] instead of paying attention to all the deviants who are complaining and writing their own articles about it.
You are protected because you can be located and you can easily prove your works.

The orphan act pertains to only those pieces of artwork, literature, etc. where the the original creator can not be located.

Part of the insert to quote:
"the most striking aspect of orphan works is that the frustrations are pervasive in a way that many copyright problems are not. When a copyright owner cannot be identified or is unlocatable, potential users abandon important, productive projects, many of which would be beneficial to our national heritage. Scholars cannot use the important letters, images and manuscripts they search out in archives or private homes, other than in the limited manner permitted by fair use or the first sale doctrine. Publishers cannot recirculate works or publish obscure materials that have been all but lost to the world. Museums are stymied in their creation of exhibitions, books, websites and other educational programs, particularly when the project would include the use of multiple works. Archives cannot make rare footage available to wider audiences. Documentary filmmakers must exclude certain manuscripts, images, sound recordings and other important source material from their films. The Copyright Office finds such loss difficult to justify when the primary rationale behind the prohibition is to protect a copyright owner who is missing. If there is no copyright owner, there is no beneficiary of the copyright term and it is an enormous waste."

The solution that the Copyright Office has proposed reflects the realities of the problem and creates a framework. It does not create an exception; nor does it rescind an owner's copyright rights.

You do not have to purchase CC for your works.
The Copyright Act of 1976 changed several basic features of the law. First, copyright protection became automatic for any work of authorship fixed in a tangible medium (e.g. on paper, on tape, in a computer file) and registration with the Copyright Office became optional. (Registration was retained only as a requirement of filing suit in a U.S. District Court and as a condition of collecting statutory damages and attorney's fees.)
None of that Copyright Act has changed. None of that part is even being examined for change... only the works whose authors/creators can not be found.
Ah this is some crazy shiz right here.

I caught this in the morning. Got the link from one of my homeboys. Came in and clicked it, and was silent other than amazed. This is some serious shiz, but from what I heard, this only goes against those who don't have copyright protection or something like that. Hope I nailed it right, but it may not be so scary as it appear to be.

Though like some have said, this shall not pass. So we can all keep an ear out on Gandalf screaming that one line like he did when up against that Balrog...yeah ya all know what I am saying. lol

But I wouldn't jump gun, I am watching this closely. The first ever news that really placed an all too human chill down my spine.
Hello, you're getting upset and spreading the fear over nothing. In the future please educate yourself before posting a kneejerk reaction to one stupid article on the Internet. I suggest you start with this website, regarding the hearing of this bill's 2008 incarnation. On the right side are the testimonials from officials with interests and expertise in this area:
[link]
Ohnoes. your unique and original anime is going to be used without permission. Ohnoes, end of the world.
yeah. Good luck passing that.
This was bought to my attention by my good friend ~Lindsay40k

I'm not happy about this at all. That legislation had better get rejected very soon.
I say we start a petition!!
What idiot would think something up like this? If it EVER passed, it wouldn't affect me, I don't live in the USA.
since we're going to be cool kids and link out things that are EXTREME to the MAX, i thought i'd share a few research links. whether it cripples that article or further proves it? you judge:

[link] [link] [link] [link] [link]

yes, that's a lot of things to read, but it helps to know!

:iconprimouse::icontheplz::iconmoreplz::iconyouplz::iconknowplz: the better...
I've been doing a bit of reading on the subject but I have yet to form an opinion. Reading the article worried me but I won't make any conclusions until I know more than just what one article says.

For future reference specifically bringing up someone's journal and telling people to copy and paste a link in their journal makes you look like a sheep. If all you've read is a journal and an article you haven't exactly done your research, you're just freaking out because everyone else is.