Closed to new replies
July 30, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

Selling Photographs

:iconweaseltea:
WeaselTea Featured By Owner Jul 29, 2013  Student General Artist
So, I've come to the point that I would like to be able to sell [and have people want to buy] my photos. I like to think I've been improving in photography. So I have a couple of questions that to those of you who sell prints:

1. What's the best printer for the best price?
2. Where do you sell?
3. How do you get noticed?

Just want your opinions on the matter, thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconslappytheclown14:
slappytheclown14 Featured By Owner Aug 3, 2013  Student General Artist

I'm new at photography, so I can't really help you with that, sorry!

However, if I wasn't completely broke, I would definitely buy some of your prints! Buy My Prints Please 

Great work!

:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2013  Professional Photographer
You've got some nice work in your gallery. I'm particularly impressed with the Stonehenge shot. There might be a market for people interested in having that on a wall in their home or office. The rest, maybe not so much. The sort of landscapes that sell well tend to be more pastoral, as a general rule. I'd send you a link to someone I consider to be one of the best landscape photographers on dA, but he's apparently closed his account.

As for printers, ~photomark is right; quality, colour fidelity and sharpness of the print is paramount. You should be looking at an Epson Stylus Photo R3000 at a bare minimum. I think the street price on that is around $1,000 (£635 or so). Good quality paper will cost you about $75-100 (£47-65) for a pack of between 25 and 50 sheets. If you want to mount and frame a print, expect to pay $200-400 (£127-254) depending on the size and quality of the materials used. You can, of course, sell them un-framed, but then showing them gets trickier. There are other costs involved in this as well, including buying colour calibration hardware for your monitor and printer to make sure that what prints is as close as possible to what you see on your screen (and to make sure that what you see on your screen is as close to "real" colour as possible).

As for where to sell, art fairs are a good place to start. You'll have to rent a space and decorate it yourself. Go to a few of these and take notes of how other photographers do it. Also take note of what sort of images they have for sale. Lurk a bit and see how many people actually buy prints, and who those people are (are they young? middle aged? retirees? Do they look fairly well off? middle class? practically homeless?). Find out what kind of images are they drawn to – not just buying, but browsing as well.

And finally, the only way to get noticed is to get good. There simply are no short cuts there. Learn to take stunning photos that people LOVE and you will get noticed.
:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I sell prints but they are traditional darkroom prints.
I sell at markets and just word of mouth as well as doing portrait's however it is not my job.

As you are shooting digital I don't recommend you doing your own printing, you are just not going to be able to afford anything but an inkjet and a good one will set you back over $1k. There are far better alternatives to home printing that will get you far better prints that are printed on photographic paper , I find even prints from Kmart ( wallmart ) better than most inkjet prints.

Print selling is very difficult and photographic and print quality is paramount.
Add a Comment: