Closed to new replies
February 21, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 72

Sold any Prints?

:iconsarlaz:
sarlaz Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Student General Artist
I was just wondering but how many of you photographers have actually sold a print of your photographs on DA? For that matter how common is it to sell any print here? Is it really rare? or does it happen? (I hope I'm posting this in the right place but since I'm asking about photographs I guess I am...maybe?)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconbethcole95:
BethCole95 Featured By Owner Mar 6, 2013  Student General Artist
I haven' tried but from my research I've found its quite hard to sell stuff on here unless your page is highly popular even so it's pretty rare...
:iconlokolobo88:
Lokolobo88 Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Been here around 3 years, haven't sold a thing.
:iconldfranklin:
LDFranklin Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Professional Photographer
I typically sell a print every 1-3 months on average. Some times I sell several prints in one month. Other times I go quite a few months without a print sale.
sarlaz Featured By Owner Mar 5, 2013  Student General Artist
Wow from what I've seen from other people your doing really well. Do you advertise or something?
Nope. I have no idea how people are finding my prints or who is buying them.

I do have a system where I only submit prints of popular images. I set a :+fav: limit, so only deviations that get at least a certain number of :+fav:s get submitted as prints. And I do this on the 1st of every month. I go through my gallery and everything that has at least that many :+fav:s I submit as a print.

I guess I figure if not a lot of people are bothering to :+fav: a piece of my work, then there's not a good chance it will sell as a print.
I looked through some of your prints/photos. I think whats helping you is the fact that your awesome.XD Your pictures are different from what we normally see in average photos. I would love to do that blurring thing you got going but I don't know if my camera can do it. It is a camera trick right?
Awww, thank you so much!!!

It's actually a special lens that gives the blur! It's called a Lensbaby and you can actually bend the lens and push it and pull it to give different blur effects! You can learn more about these lenses on their website [link]
Cool I'll have a look.=)
:iconalpoarts:
AlpoArts Featured By Owner Mar 4, 2013   Traditional Artist
I've only sold one and it was to someone I knew.
:iconsarah-bk:
Sarah-BK Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Made a print of one of my photos available to get a print of it for myself as a prize for a contest, as whilst being there someone bought a print of it :) Don't know who though... :/

I don't try too hard to have them available though...
:iconranitalynn:
ranitalynn Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Professional Photographer
Aww man I been here 5 months and cant sell any ! I get tons of favorites but no one buys them. I wish I had buyers
sarlaz Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013  Student General Artist
From what I've heard from everyone else I wouldn't hold me breath.=/
:iconkendra-paige:
Kendra-Paige Featured By Owner Feb 28, 2013   Photographer
I've sold 3 prints in the nearly 2 years I've had prints available. It's very rare.
:iconstudio-toffa:
studio-toffa Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Professional Photographer
Been here 8 years and only sold one 10x15 cm print of consert photo I done. Why any one would buy it is beyond me, as I can't see what good a 10x15 cm print would do on a wall. But I sell most of my images through stock agency.
But I don't view DA as a main outlet for my prints. What's great with DA is to get the images out there and get feedback on them. Maybe drive some trafic to website.
:iconvewoz:
veWoz Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Student Photographer
I've sold three prints in the three years I've been on dA. I really want to get my work more out there and I REALLY want to make money off of it.. can any of you guys help me out and check out my work? Maybe refer me to some friends? Haha, I'm a broke college student studying photography.. it's a good cause!
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Sold 2 in 4 years, which considering I never make any effort at all to sell any of my shots, I didn't think that was too bad! Ha ha!
:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I sell many prints but none from this site.

I dont ever intend on selling them hear and I dont promote it as DA are the only ones that make anything from it and the print quality is not that great any way.
:icondavidjosephgall:
DavidJosephGall Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Been here 8 years, and I just sold my first print not too long ago.
sarlaz Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Student General Artist
have you been active the whole 8 years? I know I've had this account for 5 years but only resiently have I started using it for real.
:icondavidjosephgall:
DavidJosephGall Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I've had some quiet moments but I've been active most of the time.
I think it's just luck of the draw. Some people I know have a much,
much greater reach/following than I and still don't get purchases.
:iconisalovesphotography:
Isalovesphotography Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
none. but i stopped putting my works on sale. they're mine and i think i don't want anyone to buy them at the moment... and i do not think i'd sell many anyway :D
:iconcinestress:
Cinestress Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Filmographer
I've sold three.
Nice. How long did that take you?
:iconcinestress:
Cinestress Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Filmographer
I advertise them on different websites every once in awhile, but I don't put any real effort into trying to sell them. But I sold two in 2010 and one a week or so ago and they were all of the same ones that I created in 2010.
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
I sell two or three a year on dA. Fortunately my manager at work (an art store) is allowing me to have a couple prints for sale in store, so I have a teeny tiny boost above "online only". Although in two months I have only sold one...
wow nice sounds like you've had more luck then most ppl so far.=)
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
I advertise them a *lot* and most of the sales were to people I know in some capacity. Not all, but most. Actually a rather large one seems to have gone to a complete stranger, so far as I can gather.
:iconebonsong:
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
None, but I haven't put any up for sale in a long while. I've had absolutely no interest for my photos when I do. I think most people come to watch me for my drawings and clay art than photos though. :shrug:
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Photographer
On my website? Yes. On DA? Absolutely not. The cut they take from the people of this website is robbery and I refuse to let them profit from it - not to mention the prices are ridiculous.
Where do you get your prints done then? Just curious and looking at options.^^
Some one else on this thread also mentioned this place. [link] I wouldn't know any more then you about it tho.
Noted down. Thank you very much!
=)
My website is powered through zenfolio and they handle the printing - I love it. The package I needed costs $120 per year and it's paid itself off. They make it so simple to use... they have cheaper packages that you can use for personal reasons and all the information is listen on their website. Local private print shops can help you or you can search online for a printing source.
I see. I hope I don't sound rude when I ask if you can you show me your portfolio and/or prints you've sold through it?

Not trying to beat or over-achieve what you have, I'd just like to know what my own chances are with such a set-up. Basically I'm wondering if I could start up this year, or would I need another few years more of photography practice.^^

And, $120 doesn't sound like much if it can pay itself off within the same year.
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Photographer
It paid itself off the first month I had it, though I bought it out of necessity when I was hired for a horse show. Most of what I've sold are portraits and I've been lucky enough to sell some of my nature photography :)

My Zenfolio Site: [link]
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013
Thank you kindly for that explanation and direct link. You've got me encouraged, I think I may give it a try sometime soon. :hug:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Professional Photographer
Do it :) I plan to print and frame some of my pieces to sell at the craft shows. Not sure how that'll turn out because most of what I've sold I haven't been trying to sell @_@ I want to display my new stuff at local tourist shops. I live in a vacation destination in Florida now so maybe I can get some of their souvenir bucks!
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013
Your plan sounds just lovely. Yeah isn't that how it always goes? Work hard to make an awesome photo and they want the practice shots. :)

Best of luck with your tourist sales, Lacie!
(1 Reply)
:iconsecondclaw:
secondclaw Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
Ah - this is same reason why I don't allow prints of my works here. My own cut is not terribly important, but the amount that DA charges on top of it is really unfair to the potential customers and I cannot allow it.
Exactly!
I guess that might be true. I get the feeling though that most of the ppl on DA aren't pros tho.(including me=b) They might be happy with what they get.=/
You could sell prints on Etsy - you just have to come up with a print source but the options are out there. You should never sell yourself short just because a some dweebs who started DA want to capitalize on YOUR hard work.
I actually have a etsy account so this is very possible for me. I just have to do what you said and find a place to make my pictures real.=)
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Feb 25, 2013  Professional Photographer
This is kind of an after thought but you should make a Facebook fan page too. It's a GREAT way to network. I haven't even had to pay for outside advertising. All my work has come through there.
:icondeliquesce-flux:
Deliquesce-Flux Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Photographer
You don't have to be a pro to sell prints. There are just a lot better ways of doing it than an art social network website with thousands on accounts :)
Yeah I guess this place isn't the best. I have been thinking about selling my photos(as un-pro as they are.^.^; ) for a while now. I just didn't/don't know how to go about it. I guess I need to try finding a print lab as you put it or a website that might get them done for me.=) Thanks so much for your input.=)
Deliquesce-Flux Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Professional Photographer
No worries! Best of luck to you :)
Deliquesce-Flux Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Photographer
DeviantART is not a good place to sell prints. They take a huge slice of each image profit, and the printing is very sub par in my opinion. If you want to sell prints, find a good print lab and strike a deal with them :)
Thats what I'm seeing ppl say. Where would a person in small town PA find a print lab tho? For that matter,(sorry I'm a noob) what is a print lab?
Add a Comment: