Closed to new replies
February 12, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 81

What is your FAVORITE lens, and why? :)

:icontdphotodesigns:
tdphotodesigns Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Professional Photographer
Everyone has their own preferences, which I think is awesome!
I just wonder how different everyone is from eachother:D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconemblemata:
Emblemata Featured By Owner Mar 2, 2013
I have to lenses I like very much.
The Canon 50 1.4
and
the Canon 85 1.8
:iconannemayra:
AnneMayra Featured By Owner Mar 1, 2013
EF-S60mm f/2.8 Macro USM,, It takes nice macro photo's, duh.. ;)
:iconstudio-toffa:
studio-toffa Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Professional Photographer
I would say I hold a button on my Tamron SP 28-75mm f2.8 because of it's all-round nature, but it's not perfect, that's why I also pack more lenses.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Feb 26, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
My Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L!

If you'll indulge me for a moment...

As you reach a certain level you start to learn all the little foibles that you have to learn to get the best out of your kit. After 18 months with my 24-70 I feel I know that lens inside and out, I know how far to push it, I know what it can and can't do. I know without even looking through it whether it will work for the scene I'm looking at. I know what it feels like, in wind, rain, heat or cold. I know exactly what focal length it's on simply by feeling the barrel turn in my hand. I have a couple of other Canon lenses and I know what they can do but somehow I have to work a little harder with them than the 24-70!

I am perfectly normal and sane most of the time, just ask my pack of pink giraffes, they'll confirm it! :LOL:
:icontdphotodesigns:
tdphotodesigns Featured By Owner Feb 24, 2013  Professional Photographer
Such great replies, I enjoy reading everyone's responses. :)
:iconalbinogrimby:
AlbinoGrimby Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I like my f/1.8 35mm prime lens for my Sony dSLR. It's actually pretty great for getting close up shots of toys -- images look tack sharp. I use it in lieu of an actual macro lens. Also the 35mm lens was cheap -- about 120 bucks compared to 600 for a a sony macro. I realize I could probably spend about 100-200 on ebay to get a Minolta macro since it uses the same alpha ring, but I'm crazy lazy.

Don't get me wrong, I still want a macro and some other lenses, but this gets the job done. :)
:iconshaymincutie:
shaymincutie Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Macro Zoom lens- because my favorite thing to photograph is macro, showing tiny details of a larger thing, like petals on a flower etc. Plus its just awesome. :D
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Feb 17, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Does anyone here use/own the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8? I am planning on purchasing this lens within the next 3 months.
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Feb 18, 2013
I don't own one personally but they are pretty damn good lenses. I would suggest looking into the Tamron varient though as it has stabilisation that the on brand ones do not.

On a side note though I am a big advocate of using primes over zooms unless you need the versatility of not having to switch lenses. (which very few people actually do)

For example you could either get:

Nikon 24-70 F2.8 : ~$1900 US (900 grams)

or you could get:

Nikon 20mm F2.8 : ~$500 (270 grams)
Nikon 35mm F2.0 : ~$330 (205 grams)
Nikon 50mm F1.4G : ~$400 (280 grams)
Nikon 85mm F1.8G : ~$400 (350 grams)

Total: ~$1630 (1105 grams)

With the primes you cover a wider focal range for less money with as sharp or sharper lenses that are almost all faster. Also if you drop one and break it, you have 3 others still to use while one is at the repair shop. If you drop the 24-70 then you are crippled until it comes home. (i learned this lesson the hard way, when when I first got into photography I invested in a single, expensive, zoom) Carrying all 4 at once is only 200 grams heavier and if you opt to only carry 3/4 at any given time (since you can probably tell ahead of time what you need) you actually end up with a lighter bag. Also since you have a lighter lens on your camera it will be easier to take stable photos and your neck won't be as sore carrying the lens around.
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Feb 27, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Sorry for late response. I think you make a very convincing case and I had considered getting at least a 35mm and a 50mm to start off with (instead of OR as well as the 24-70 f2.8).

I think for me though, the worry of dropping lenses is almost a non-factor. I've owned a DSLR and several lenses for 7 years now. 1 is a cheap Nikon 18-55mm kit lens, and the other an equally cheap 55-200mm and the third, a 170-500mm Sigma lens. Also got a 50mm prime this year. I'm proud to say that I've never dropped any one of them. Even though the two Nikon's are quite cheap I always take great care of them. So I'm definitely going to be extra careful with a 1000+ pound (GBP) lens. Incidentally, if I were to go with the 24-70mm, it would be the only lens I'd own for quite some time, so I wouldn't be taking it off the body for a while. Buying 4 separate prime lenses actually increases the chance of dropping one.

I'm getting quite serious about landscape photography now and I always shoot on a tripod in order to use ISO 200 as much as I can, so I'm not so interested in optical stabilization for the 24-70 zoom range.

But I'm not shooting your post down. I definitely did consider more lenses over just the one. I'm not completely decided even now, but currently the zoom is my favorable choice.
Add a Comment: