Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

Canon EF 28 f/1.8 USM VS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM?

:iconarosemoore:
arosemoore Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013
After browsing DA for a while, I finally joined! Hopefully I will get some helpful criticism when I upload photos and also some insight into these lenses I am considering...

1. Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Wide Angle Lens
2. Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens

I am just a beginner, but am learning as much as I can. I have the Canon 60D with the lens it came with along with a zoom lens a friend bought for me. I will be traveling this summer and fall overseas in quite rural areas. I was hoping to buy a new lens that best captures what the eye can see. I will be taking a lot of landscape photos as well as night photos.

I thought a wide angle lens was best and the recommendation that kept coming up time and time again was the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM wide angle lens. After reading a lot of reviews and looking at photos taken with it, I really liked it! I know it can be quite soft, but bokeh was very nice... However, I noticed that not too reviews or photos were for landscape photography and it made wonder if this would be right for me despite many people recommending it.

The other lens that kept coming up was the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens. Everyone kept saying it is sharp, takes great landscape photos, and is SO much cheaper than the other lens I was recommended to.

Can anyone else here lend their opinion between the two?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontetchist:
Tetchist Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Digital Artist
these lenses have two totally different applications and prices. they're not comparable.
:iconlauraperezcerrato:
lauraperezcerrato Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I would go for the 28mm as you won't be getting a wide angle because of crop factor, as ~Mockingbirdkids already stated, but you will be getting something similar to 50mm, which is fantastic for learning. I wouldn't recommend picking up a zoom lens: you'll learn a lot more with a prime lens, and you can't beat the price/quality proportion.
:iconkendra-paige:
Kendra-Paige Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013   Photographer
My biggest advice to a beginner is to not invest a lot of money into your equipment until you've become more familiar with what you have. I think the biggest mistake a lot of beginners make, is they feel that a better quality lens or different optics will make their photography better. It's paramount to learn to work with what you have, and then upgrade your equipment to follow suit. (I made the mistake of buying above my skill level, and while I have some fantastic gear, some of it ended up not being what I really needed, and the funds could have gone to something more important.)

For some inspiration on what you can do with a basic Canon Rebel and a 18-55 kit lens, check out `zemotion's earlier work, as that's all she used:

If you do decide to get a lens, I second the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens, it's a very inexpensive lens, and will give you a wide aperture to experiment with.
:iconmockingbirdkids:
Mockingbirdkids Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Both len's are great as long as you realize the 28mm Wide Angle won't be "wide angle" on your camera because of the x1.6 crop. It'll be more like a 44mm. if you want to do some wide angle landscape stuff I would go for the EF 14mm 2.8L or EF 14mm F2.8L II or something that is a compromise ... like the EF 16-35mm F2.8L II
:icontheycallme-g:
TheyCallMe-G Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I would recommend the EF 50mm f/1.8 lens. These are very good and they are very crystal clear. Affordable as well. I got mine on sale for $110 instead of $125. It's a portrait lens and has a very good depth of field. With crop sensor cameras, the 50mm will be more like 85mm. The 40mm I hear is good for portability and weight, especially since you said you're going to do some travel. I'm actually going to purchase the 40mm here pretty soon, just so I can have it.
Add a Comment: