February 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 177

Canon, Nikon, Other? Why?

:iconravyns-photography:
Ravyns-Photography Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013  Professional Photographer
Hey guys!

Curiosity killed the cat. What do you use? Why?

I started with my Nikon D90, after the body was recommended to me by a friend at the time, and went from there. It came with my kit lens (18-105 MM), and I've had an infatuation with the brand ever since. Most of my gear is Nikon, but I do use Tamron/Sigma, if they're handed to me.

But what's your favourite brand? Why? What makes your favourite special to you? :la:

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmolot:
Molot Featured By Owner Mar 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Why to start that war again? Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Zeiss, they all make great camera. Camera is just a tool, get what feels right in your hands and provide controls you feel you'll need. That's all to it.
:iconshoreham-boy:
Shoreham-Boy Featured By Owner Mar 18, 2013
I have always loved my Canon DSLR and Canon lens, however...

Last year I bought an Olympus OM1n film camera and it is certainly a thing of beauty. It prompted me to buy the new Olympus OM-D EM5 (last week) instead of my planned upgrade to the 60D, although I have not yet had chance to really use it yet, I can already see its appeal.
:icondeere:
Deere Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2013  Professional Photographer
Before I'd picked up my first DSLR almost 10 years ago I'd had my heart set on a Canon 300D. But come decision time I found myself confused as hell picking it up, wondering where all the controls were and how to use it... Meanwhile the Nikon D70 made me feel right at home straight away, I could easily see where all the controls where and use them comfortably as they all sat where expected.

Fast forward and I'm now a self employed professional using a couple of Nikon D800s. I've had the odd job or occasion where I've used Canon 5D mk II/III cameras and feel a little more comfortable with the controls, but there are a lot of more intricate controls that I can access easily on the D800 (or if I'm confused about them there's a handy "?" button that tells me exactly what they do) whereas on the Canons even my gf who'd been using the cameras for years had no idea where some controls were or what they did. It's that kind of fast handling in the field and instinctive control that helped me get a lot of my winning shots in the early days. It also caused her to move to Nikon too just a few months ago.

I did flirt with the idea of going Canon a couple of years ago due to how much cheaper it was for equivalent gear (lenses, 5D mkII etc), but when the current generation of bodies were announced (mkIII and D800) that sealed the deal for me. The versatility and sheer detail of the D800 just takes the quality of images I can offer clients up a huge notch, most notably thanks to the huge dynamic range and insane shadow detail that they got dialled in with the D7000 and has translated to future models.
:iconcrunchyspart:
crunchyspart Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
:iconcrunchyspart:
crunchyspart Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i probably should have added a description to the link.
its a website that compares two cameras side by side weighing the pros and cons to each.
i use a nikon 3100, but believe canon and nikon are about the same.
:iconflitterflutterbird:
flitterflutterbird Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013  Student Photographer
I have a Nikon d3100 but honestly i love both nikon and canon. i have a canon film camera as well and i love it :)
:iconpolfiedary:
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
In my opinion? Nikon. But it's because I've never used Canon cameras.
:iconcorporealdream:
CorporealDream Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2013
Canon. simply because they have greater availability of after market lenses due to their market share.
Flagged as Spam
:iconkarinta:
Karinta Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2013  Student General Artist
A Canon Digital Rebel, or a Canon Powershot SX130 IS. The latter is my family's. The former I bought myself. I don't know why I like Canons though, but I'll stick to them. They're very good.
Add a Comment: