Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 72

HELP!!! I think there is something wrong with my REBEL XT or my LENS

:iconheart-worm:
heart-WORM Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I was browsing thru all the pictures that I took with my Canon Rebel XT then I notice something weird. There were like webmarks or scratchmarks at a certain corner of the pictures but not all pictures have it but some or many of them have it. Guys, can you check what's wrong please? Below are sample pictures with those marks. I hope I can get some advics from you. Thanks!

[link] [link] [link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
Taking just a look at the first link, my heart dropped. I'm sorry, but it looks to me like an incompetent technician/repairman cracked the plastic IR shield in front of the sensor when cleaning your camera. A little too much pressure has left you with spiderweb cracks. I'm a repairman, but I mainly do vintage film cameras. I'm not sure if those shields are replaceable in a Rebel XT. When you clean your sensor, it is important to use almost no pressure at all; you let the solvents do the work. Anyway, when the light hits it right, it lights up the cracks.
heart-WORM Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Ouch. So sad. I tried to take a picture without the lens, can you check it if its really a crack, [link] :(
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
Yep, that's definitely a sensor issue, and I still think it's a cracked shield.
what do you think is the cause of this? I never brought it to be cleaned yet before..
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
Have you attempted to clean it yourself? Unless you have an actual dust bunny in there, it looks like someone pressed something against the plastic IR shield covering the sensor, used just a little too much pressure, and cracked it. Ever seen that kind of crack in a CD jewel case? Same thing.
never did I try to clean it since it was given to me, It doesn't have the crack before.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
BTW, the second post you made in this thread was "I already cleaned it many times.."
heart-WORM Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
only the lens is the one I tried to clean, sorry for that..
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013

There are several things that could have done it, and I don't know which happend to it, but I'd bet money that is because of a cracked shield.

Some of the things that could have caused it:

1. extreme abrupt temperature change (thermal shock)

2. dropping it

3. incompetent repairman cleaning the sensor

4. internal stress fracture

5. a micrometeorite hit it while you were changing lenses

6. you pissed off The Sensor Fairy

heart-WORM Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
5 and 6 made my day even I'm so sad what happened to my camera.,haha! Do you think it can still be replaced?
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: