Closed to new replies
February 2, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 72

HELP!!! I think there is something wrong with my REBEL XT or my LENS

:iconheart-worm:
heart-WORM Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I was browsing thru all the pictures that I took with my Canon Rebel XT then I notice something weird. There were like webmarks or scratchmarks at a certain corner of the pictures but not all pictures have it but some or many of them have it. Guys, can you check what's wrong please? Below are sample pictures with those marks. I hope I can get some advics from you. Thanks!

[link] [link] [link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
Taking just a look at the first link, my heart dropped. I'm sorry, but it looks to me like an incompetent technician/repairman cracked the plastic IR shield in front of the sensor when cleaning your camera. A little too much pressure has left you with spiderweb cracks. I'm a repairman, but I mainly do vintage film cameras. I'm not sure if those shields are replaceable in a Rebel XT. When you clean your sensor, it is important to use almost no pressure at all; you let the solvents do the work. Anyway, when the light hits it right, it lights up the cracks.
heart-WORM Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Ouch. So sad. I tried to take a picture without the lens, can you check it if its really a crack, [link] :(
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
Yep, that's definitely a sensor issue, and I still think it's a cracked shield.
what do you think is the cause of this? I never brought it to be cleaned yet before..
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013
Have you attempted to clean it yourself? Unless you have an actual dust bunny in there, it looks like someone pressed something against the plastic IR shield covering the sensor, used just a little too much pressure, and cracked it. Ever seen that kind of crack in a CD jewel case? Same thing.
never did I try to clean it since it was given to me, It doesn't have the crack before.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013
BTW, the second post you made in this thread was "I already cleaned it many times.."
heart-WORM Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
only the lens is the one I tried to clean, sorry for that..

There are several things that could have done it, and I don't know which happend to it, but I'd bet money that is because of a cracked shield.

Some of the things that could have caused it:

1. extreme abrupt temperature change (thermal shock)

2. dropping it

3. incompetent repairman cleaning the sensor

4. internal stress fracture

5. a micrometeorite hit it while you were changing lenses

6. you pissed off The Sensor Fairy

5 and 6 made my day even I'm so sad what happened to my camera.,haha! Do you think it can still be replaced?
(1 Reply)
:iconxcetera:
Xcetera Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Professional Photographer
:lmao: my favourite is #6
(1 Reply)
Have you taken it out into REALLY cold weather?
not really cold..just between 13-23 degrees celsius. That's the normal temperature where I live in right now, back at our hometown it was about 23-31 degrees.
(1 Reply)
:iconmarx-man:
MARX-MAN Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional Artist
[link]

This video will help...

Be careful when looking inside, like I say, if it has a possible fungus inside it, it can be blown into your eyes by moving the elements too quickly.

You can look either way into the lens to focus on all parts inside the lens, either through the front or back elements.
:iconmylifeinfocus:
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
In line with a previous comment, because of varying amount of focus and just the look I would bet it's a lens issue. Could be fungus within the lens.

I would say take the lens off the body and shine a flashlight in/through it, try to see if there's anything obvious. Another lens would be ideal, even if you borrow it from a friend for 5 minutes.

That being said, that doesn't necessarily rule out the sensor being the issue. So my suggestion is this, take the lens off the body, and do one of two things, put it on manual and crank it to Bulb, hold down the shutter (flipping the mirror up) and that will give you a nice look at the sensor itself. Do NOT touch the sensor, merely make sure you have ample light to see it, I don't know if it'll be obvious but it may give you an indication.
The other thing would be going to the menu and selecting the 'clean sensor' function which simply flips the mirror up without you having to hold the shutter button down, but again DON'T try to clean it yourself if you don't know how. You can screw the sensor up pretty bad trying to do that.

In either case I will bet you'll have to get it serviced, local is nice as you could go to a shop and show and communicate in person and they will likely be able to give you an indication of whether it's the lens or sensor, and you won't waste money cleaning the sensor if it's a lens issue.

Best of luck to you, hope you get it resolved and get back to shooting, hope this helps :)

Also, the XT is a fine camera, to say it's a problem to use it is pretty messed up, don't listen to people who say so ;)
Can you check it guyz, I tried to take a pic without the lens,[link]
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm afraid it has to be the sensor then. Honestly it looks cracked to me so you'll have to get it assessed by a servicing center/Canon/etc, I don't know if it's the IR shield that can be replaced but you may be in need of a new camera. Wish you the best with getting it fixed! Tough luck!
Thanks a lot for the help.
:)
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Well, your first problem is you're using a Rebel XT...
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm sure your advice will be absolutely invaluable in solving this situation. Love to see photographers trying to help out other ones!
Xcetera Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional Photographer
Please don't leave snide little comments like this to users who might not know any better and start believing that their camera is crap.

The Rebel series are absolutely fine and in the hands of capable photographers, are able to produce fantastic images. There is nothing wrong, or low quality about them. They are an entry level DSLR - that means there's likely bad noise with high ISO, it's a crop sensor, and it's not going to have as much FPS as the more advanced models, but for most people who enjoy the Rebel series, that isn't an issue.

The camera doesn't make the photographer, the photographer makes the camera. Understanding the limitations and working around and within them are a part of being a photographer, and anyone who's worth their salt knows that the Rebel series is great for it's price and a good camera to have for a hobbiest. It's not a 'mistake' or a 'problem', and that's a terrible attitude to have. Professionals or people who are very advanced may require more, but they are certainly sufficient.
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
I once saw deviantART referred to as "a community of Rebel users who call themselves photographers," and had to snicker. Back when I used to sell digital cameras, none of the staff would ever intentionally try to sell one. When I worked at a photography studio, and we were frequently being asked about cameras, the other staff were always very anti-Rebel, but would recommend low-end Nikon, Sony, and other models instead. Hmmm.
Best camera on the market? No of course not, does it have to be the first choice? Of course not..but really? You're so closed minded that you think owning a Rebel is a problem? C'mon don't be naive and get your mind out of the gutter...:facepalm:
:iconsevenphotodfw:
SevenPhotoDFW Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Elitist much? I have been using a Rebel XTi for a good 5 years now, and I love that camera to death. In this day and age its getting to a point where there are better options near the same cost, but back when I got mine it was well worth its cost, and has served me well this whole time.

While I hate the people that just scream "YOU DONT NEED A NEW CAMERA!" whenever someone asks for advice on a new one, I completely agree that skill as a photographer has not a damn thing to do with the device you put up to your face before taking the photo. Hell I've seen, and even taken, some amazing photos using my damn Cell Phone.
Xcetera Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional Photographer
I will just leave this here.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Feb 6, 2013  Hobbyist
Obviously a typo because a Rebel can't have great results :lol:

That poster reminds me of folk who argue about which computers are better. Just like anything they're tools to get a job done, not a religion.
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
Just because many who use the tool are inexperienced does not make the tool bad. Like Xcetera said the Rebels are great entry level DSLRs and in the hand of those who take the time to learn what they are doing a Rebel can take great photos.

I live in Vancouver and every day Gastown is filled with Asian tourists walking around with 5Ds and D600s set to auto with kit lenses on them. Does that make those cameras bad too?

A quick search for Rebel on 500px brings up a huge list of Rebel created photos. I guess all these people just got lucky and got special ones that are better? [link]
:clap:
Oh please. Nikon and Sonys entry level DSLRs are no better. It's pretty much the same thing with different buttons and name slapped on.

And yes, there are a lot of users with Rebels, and those who know what they're doing are producing great stuff. The body is hardly important compared to skill and good glass.
As far as I can see, the only issue with Rebels is durability. They are not really made to last, but while they do you can get just as good results from them.
:shrug: I couldn't say, but I know mine has lasted forever. I've taken really good care of it though. In any case, still a great entry level. :nod:
All I am saying is that there are other brands that are more robustly built. They can take hard use longer. Of course, if you take really good care of it, pretty much anything will last a long time.
Oh, fair enough!
heart-WORM Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
That's the only thing I have.
Xcetera Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Professional Photographer
There's nothing at all wrong with the XT. Ignore said person, they clearly know little to nothing about DSLR's.
Thanks!
First of all it is clear to me, that this is an in lens condition.

:bulletred: Question: Why do I think this?
:bulletgreen: Answer: You will notice on your first link that the black pattern is slightly blurry, the second image has the black pattern in focus and the last image the black pattern is out of focus.

Considering the sensor has a fixed distance for all of it's components, it cannot be the sensor making the pattern appear.
And because the sensor is the only part in the camera that the light passes onto, it means that it has to be in the lens.

Just to educate you, it is called a Look up mirror, when you take a picture, the mirror literally moves or 'looks' up. So the only thing that is left to have the crack on it, is the lens.

To test this theory, change or take the lens off and take a picture (if you can), no pattern means that it is not in camera.

Based on the pattern that you have got, it seems as though you have a micro fracture in the lens from concussive force, you will notice how the pattern moves away from the corner and doesn't change place, this means it is one of the non-rotating elements inside the lens is likely to be the culprit.

Hope this helps.

Place your eye a few centimetres away from the bayonet end of the lens and move the focus and zoom sliders, because of how the lens will focus light onto the sensor, it will focus the light onto your eye, you will be able to see the crack in the lens from the back.

Make sure you run those diagnostic tests before you send anything away.

PS: I used to work in Jessops. We would run those simple tests for customers who didn't know anything about their equipment to save them money on the repair bill.
Thanks, this helps a lot. I'll try what you've said.
Was it the lens?
I have no extra lens, so I tried checking on the lens, like what you've said but I can't see any crack.
Obviously turn the bulb on. ;)
Did you take a picture without a lens in the camera?

Also before checking inside the lens, make sure you have set the aperture in the camera to it's lowest number EG F3.5 and make sure to look at a light bulb. (NOT AT THE SUN)
Can you check it guyz, I tried to take a pic without the lens,[link]
MARX-MAN Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Professional Artist
Yeah I was so hoping it was going to be the lens due to the blur but it's pretty conclusive for you now, your sensor has a crack in one of the shields.

I knew the spider pattern meant radial damage but because of the difference in blur ratio I figured that it would be the lens, but this proves it is the sensor.

Your options are fairly limited to repair or replace.
Would it cost much replacing it?
(1 Reply)
:iconsillyconguru:
sillyconguru Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
That looks like fungal growth on the sensor, get it wet-cleaned ASAP.
Looks to me more like someone who didn't know what he or she was doing was bearing down a little too hard with a pec pad and cracked the coating on the sensor shield. This is born out by his comment that his sensor has been cleaned many times.
how?
:iconsillyconguru:
sillyconguru Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Send/take it to a service centre or, if you think you are capable (search the Internet for "copperhill method"), do it yourself.
Add a Comment: