Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
February 1, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

I don't intend to be a pro, but is what I've got any good?

:iconvoaz-kzrhovb:
Voaz-Kzrhovb Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think I have the stomach for the trouble most photographers have to go through to get the shots they do, but in my spare times I've found that some pics I take really are quite pretty despite being amateur.

The two I have on my front page are some of my favourites, and the eucalyptus tree seems to be a nice place to start seeing as there are so many of them around me area. But should I bother? Are my current shots any good?

Just a reminder I mean to do this purely as a hobby, but I wanna know if my stuff is crap first before I spam my watchers with it.,

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkippa2001:
kippa2001 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013
Photography is a skill, the more you photograph the better you will become. When I first started doing photography my photographs were dire, they were really really bad. As time went by I photographed more and slowly got better. For starting out you are doing good photographs. Just take things one step at a time.
Voaz-Kzrhovb Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh thank you, I realise that my pictures aren't really crud or anything, but thank you if they're good. I will keep practicing, this thread has been helpful very much so far.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
Technically, they are very good. However, you might want to work on your composition skills. With some of the flower photos, I'd have gotten in a little closer and framed it so there was none of the plastic matting showing. Where possible, I'd have framed it so the fence didn't show. With the duck photo, I'd have stood a little farther back, and gotten more context in the photos (more of the area around the ducks). I don't remember whether I have any duck photos that would illustrate the point, but I do have a photo of some brown pelicans: [link] Also, you shoot animals the same way you shoot people; you usually want to frame them so that there is more space on the side of the photo they are facing: [link] [link] [link] There are some exceptions to this though: [link]
Voaz-Kzrhovb Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Oh my goodness thank you! This is the type of reply Ive been waiting for... I really appreciate not only the verbal advice but the picture examples really helped a whole heap! I was sort of guessing that getting in closer to the flowers mightve been a good idea but I was afraid of blocking out the light... I might try it later though. If lighting is an issue with me i could just experiment with different times of day right?
I think perhaps the duck one was just in the moment. they were all swimming way too fast that day... but if I tried for more stationary birds or at least better weather conditions I could catch one better shot.

Most of my photos are from a persons garden but back at home here everything Im bound to capture would be in the wild so plastic rubbish might not be a big issues... but I have to try that close up and framing you mentioned.

Thank you again! Youve pointed out a lot of things to me that i sort of knew were issues but had no idea how to go about them !!!
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013
You're welcome.
:iconjsvn:
Jsvn Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
it's tricky (/impossible!) to be objective about you're own stuff, and know if you're 'any good'. interestingly I found that getting involved in the critiqueing, constructive commenting stuff on DA is really helpful. I couldn't see what needed to be improved in my own work (arrogance?!) but could be more objective about other people's, and tried to give good critiques when they were asked for, and suddenly I found I could see the errors in my stuff, and how to improve it. and then people respond and give you comments and critiques and the circle of DA life goes on :)
Also finding photos I like on DA and pestering the photographers with questions about how they did it :) People are very helpful on here
Voaz-Kzrhovb Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
yes, yes, thats actually a nice example of what i could do... interestingly enough although I love getting critiques, i sometimes fail at giving them myself :crying: I should touch up, n thanks for the input!!!
:iconkandabear4386:
kandabear4386 Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Haha, don't worry about your gallery, and don't worry about spamming your watchers with your photographs. If they like your work, they'll stay and keep watching you! If you are worried, just pick your favorites and post those. Do what you like!

I do like your gallery though and think you're pretty good! Don't worry about it! :)
Voaz-Kzrhovb Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Lol thanks! I suppose its more for enjoyment than quality anyway
:iconkandabear4386:
kandabear4386 Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
No problem! And yeah, I figured! So I'd say you're good with what you've got!
Add a Comment: