Closed to new replies
January 28, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Cold weather shooting.

:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Student Digital Artist
I've done some research I'm curious what extra precaution you guys take. I don't have a weather sealed body and I heard that condensation can do some nasty things.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013
ONe other thing: Once your camera gets cold, try not to breathe on it.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist
Why not breath on it? Talking about trying to warm it up?
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
Because water from warm moist air will condense on a cold object.
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist
That makes sense. Thanks!
If you are taking the camera from a warm house into the cold outside, you won't have a problem. It's when you bring it back in that you get condensation. Put it in a zip-loc bag before you bring it inside.
:iconcontains-mild-peril:
contains-mild-peril Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Professional Photographer
Acclimatisation is key, the condensation occurs when you're moving between temperature differences. If you leave the lens on then the condensation will build up around the camera but if you take a lens off it'll build up inside (which isn't good). I would, for example, put my cameras in a colder room before heading out - so perhaps a front porch or similar - so you break up the temperature changes.

Another issue with cold is that batteries run down a lot quicker, so keep an eye on them and take spares. On the plus side sensors perform better in cooler temperatures so you'll have less noise in your images!
:iconstraightx:
straightx Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Student Digital Artist
Thanks for the tips! After some research all of these tips are good. I also found that taking the camera in and out of your jacket is the worst thing you can do.
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist
I've taken shots in sub freezing temperatures before. It was suggested to wrap the equipment in plastic bags (like a grocery bag) so any condensation should form on the outside of the bag instead of on the camera.
:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Professional Photographer
That won’t really work. If there’s air inside the bag, and if that air has any water content in it, it will condense around the camera.
Water doesn't condense on warm things. If the air is cold and the camera is warm, no condensation. It's when the air is warm and the camera is cold that you get problems. You bag it to take it inside, not outside.
Add a Comment: