Closed to new replies
January 28, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Getting rid of a 5d markii going for 1d mark iii

:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Jan 28, 2013  Professional Photographer
Well I have been completely frustrated with the 5d mark ii. Was good for weddings but I still found myself manual focusing 90% of the time.

Now that I have really gotten into nature photography and am starting to make a name for myself im looking into getting rid of the mark ii and picking up a 1d mark iii.

Even though its only a 10 mp camera I rarely find myself cropping. I have a canon 7d already and was wondering if anyone has experience with the 1d mark iii?

Opinions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjadedphotographer:
jadedPhotographer Feb 1, 2013   Photographer
I have been using a 7d for 2+ years. It's only flaw is that it is a dslr. j/k (the weather seals are not 100%)
The only canon cameras which can outperform the 7 are the 1dx and 5dm3.
MichaelRowlandson Feb 1, 2013  Professional Photographer
I have heard a lot of reports of the 1dx out performing it in tracking subjects as well as iso.
jadedPhotographer Feb 1, 2013   Photographer
My bad. I thought you were asking about the 7. Btw the 7d features will take a while to make it to the 1 series.
MichaelRowlandson Feb 2, 2013  Professional Photographer
the 7d is a fine camera don't get me wrong, but i feel that the raw files that it produces are not silky smooth as the 1d mark iii.
jadedPhotographer Feb 2, 2013   Photographer
I would totally defend the 7 if I hadn't disowned it when I switched to an rf.
:iconkarelliann:
Karelliann Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Oh, wow. I can't wait to see the new shots. I'm already drooling all over your 5D Mark II (sorry for the image xD!)
MichaelRowlandson Jan 30, 2013  Professional Photographer
bwahahaha!.
5d mark ii is nice but it doesn't fair well for birding, Im drooling over the 1d series XD.
:iconkarelliann:
Karelliann Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Who wouldn't? ^_^
:iconcontains-mild-peril:
contains-mild-peril Jan 29, 2013  Professional Photographer
For me noise is an issue, it's not much better than the 1D II or the 7D. Also if you're looking at a 1D III make sure it's had the mirror issue fixed otherwise the focusing will be inaccurate. Personally I'd stick with the 7D, the extra reach is beneficial for nature and sports and I don't think the 1D III is a big enough upgrade (if you can't get something at 8fps you won't get it at 10fps but the weather sealing is better).

I had a 1D III for a few months and wasn't blown away by it at all - in fact I didn't really see a difference from my 1D II at the time.
MichaelRowlandson Jan 29, 2013  Professional Photographer
I dont expect to be blown away by it but im sure its hell of a lot better than the mark ii for bids and people flying through the air.
Add a Comment: