Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 26, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 3

Reading suggestions for somebody who is new to DSLR cameras and photography?

:iconpandagirl1029:
Pandagirl1029 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm relatively new to using DSLR cameras (got my first for this Christmas past), and while I am happy with some of the photographs I have taken thus far I am looking for some reading suggestion that will help me optimize my performance with this camera (such as how to adjust the aperture and shutter speed) and how to take exposure shots and other things in that respect.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated.

Also, if you have any advice you can pass down, that would be most helpful.

Thank you!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Student Photographer
For things like aperture and shutter speed. read the user's manual. Read about Manual mode. I suggest learning how to use your camera in manual mode, it can take a bit to get used to but later you will be getting much better photos than using Auto.
:iconphogan315:
phogan315 Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I am no help.LOL. Mine is Digital and has a bunch of neat looking bells and whistles, but I never learned how to use them. So I point and shoot. For Now. I've had this camera for about 7 years.LOL. It's an 8 mp camera. Old as far as cameras go. I need hands on instruction because I suck at following tuts and such.

Good luck and I hope you learn all the things to make you a successful photographer....
:iconphoenix-enigma:
phoenix-enigma Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Read the manual first. Yes, all of it. Keep it on hand, too.

After that, get a copy of Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. It's pretty much the go-to for understanding the technical basics of photography, it's pretty approachable and understandable, and it's cheap to buy and easy to borrow.

After that, I like Scott Kelby's Digital Photography books as a pretty decent way to jump ahead on the taking-nice-photos learning curve. They're not terribly in depth on anything, but make for good primers in general.

Once you've learned what those can teach you, you're really going to be looking to learn more specific, more detailed, and more in depth things. The best advice I can give for that is to look at the work of other photographers you admire, and learn how to learn from them.
Add a Comment: