January 25, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

Does ANYONE still use FILM?

:iconkmnfive:
kmnfive Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
Just curious/

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconjsvn:
Jsvn Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
I love using film. I would far prefer to use it. Results in terms of colours, depth, clarity, all so much better. And you can scan prints in and then have all the flexibility of digital, no? However, I don't use film because I have no money, no job, pfft. It costs almost 10 to process 36 prints in the shop here, and I don't have any space or knowledge or money to set up a darkroom.
:icontanyavolt:
tanyavolt Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional Photographer
Yes. I've actually *started* using film more (as opposed to people who say they *still* use it) :)
Just recently got into medium format photography and shot my first few rolls of 120mm film.

I began using 35mm cameras for candid stuff, but have recently bought some more professional quality films (such as Portra or Ilford Delta) and have been using them for my professional shoots.
I own nearly 10 film cameras personally as I've started collecting them, and my boyfriend owns about 20 himself that I can borrow. :)
:iconibsenthun:
IbsenThun Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
I still use it, both for my own reasons and professionally. That also includes motion picture. Please, have a look at my gallery. Most stuff you can see there are all analogue. Even my profilepicture. I just looooove film!
It's the four-lettered word that matters!
:iconcantpickaname735:
CantPickaName735 Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Student General Artist
I do. I love being in the darkroom, and using film. I like digital too, and working in photoshop with the files, but it isn't the same.
There is just something different about the medium. I have to be so much more careful of what I take, that often I get better shots on my film than on my digital!
I hope I never have to stop using film. I find it very peaceful, to be in the darkroom working. I get to think, and really enjoy what I'm doing.
One of my favorite parts is watching the image appear in the developer.
<3
:iconxladycinnamonx:
xLadyCinnamonx Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I still use film.

On another note, could you guys check out my group? It's all about photography and I'm trying to promote it :) the link is in my signature. I would really appreciate it :D
:iconibsenthun:
IbsenThun Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
It sadly says I cannot join your group as it does not accept join-requests...
:iconxladycinnamonx:
xLadyCinnamonx Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
That is really strange, I don't know why it would do that. I'll see if I can figure it out. I sent you an invite though ;)
:iconeternalfallacy:
EternalFallacy Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
film *
:iconeternalfallacy:
EternalFallacy Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Yes, you'd be surprised how many deviantart members still use fil PROFESSIONALLY.
:iconmclandis:
Mclandis Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Still shooting TRI-X 400 and whatever other B&W films I can get my hands on.
:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Its all I use however I do have a digital P&S that I Use for when I need an image of something that does not need to be on film.

I dont care what is better its just what I prefer but if ever you are going to make a comparison only do that based on the entire "wet" process, a screen sized scan of a postcard size print is never going to look good no matter what.

The one thing I do love about film is that is easy and cheap (ish) to make very high resolution prints over 50 x 60 cm , not many people have to make prints that size , but I do.

Most of the images in my gallery are scans from 6x6 medium format and I think they are just as good as any digital capture of the same resolution .

I do however think film does have a big advantage when it comes to B&W

Digital is the only way to go when you need a digital image :)
:iconsammithesamwise:
sammithesamwise Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student General Artist
I do when I have the chance. As of late, I haven't had access to a darkroom, so I haven't touched any of my film canisters. I plan on working with film again as soon as I can work in a darkroom.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
In most cases I find digital to be superior.

But, there's something magical about good quality slide film that's hard to adequately explain if you haven't shot with it. I'm not quite sure what it is, but at some point I'll likely be getting myself a film body just to blow through a few rolls of it from time to time.

But, in a practical sense, I find that digital is much easier to deal with and manage than the countless boxes of slides that I would need to cover my whole collection. The last year alone, I would have over 2,000 slides to deal with.
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I still have a medium format rangefinder that occasionally gets pulled off the shelf, but I use digital the vast majority of the time now.
:iconmr-java:
Mr-Java Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Student Photographer
Yep
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Professional Photographer
Quite a few people on here do. Personally I never have, I lack the time/patience/knowledge/money for it.
:iconphoenix-enigma:
phoenix-enigma Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
Certainly. In lots of cases, digital is superior to film for one of a few reasons (ongoing costs, time to distribution, ease of use), but not always (the up front costs of digital medium format and rangefinders outweigh the ongoing cost of film for a good many people, for example). Additionally, there are a lot of cases where digital just isn't an option. Want a medium format rangefinder, a TLR, or a large format camera? Want to do multi-day exposures? Film is really your only option.
:iconbronyjoe:
bronyjoe Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
For the first project in my A-level photography it was based on B+W film and Ray-o-graphs

I have to say I greatly enjoyed using it :D
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
For most of the serious stuff, when I want to capture a load of detail, I use ultra-high resolution film. For internet stuff, I use digital though.
:iconmylifeinfocus:
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Many many people do. Film is not better than digital. Digital is not better than film. :D
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
Yes lots of people still do. It has it's merits. It has a lot of downside. It is never the absolute right choice just like it is never the absolute wrong choice.

T-minus 15 seconds until the film fanboys hop in this thread and start lecturing about how they think film is still way better than digital. ;)
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
Both have pros and cons. Only fools are absolutists.
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
Which is pretty much what I said.

Also fyi: "Only fools are absolutists" is actually an absolute statement so does that mean you just called yourself a fool? ;)
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
I thought I was quoting you.
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have relatives that still do.
Add a Comment: