Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 23, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 89

pros and cons of hiring an amateur for wedding photography?

:iconphoenixdoll:
phoenixdoll Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Background:
-Neomerlin :iconneomerlin: and I are getting married.
-We're two young university students (also known as poor)
-Professional photography unlikely to fit into budget, as they all seem to be around $2000 - $3000 for 6hrs.
-Getting married in Sydney, Australia, in October.

Now, I currently have two ideas for photography at my wedding. One is supplying a percentage of the guests with disposable cameras both at the ceremony and at the reception and asking them all to take photos.

Another is trying to find a student photographer and hiring them.

I accept that both of those options will likely result in lots of crap photos.
I'm just wondering, from the viewpoint of a photographer, what might be the pros and cons of those decisions?

Just how magical ARE professional photos vs amateur?

Any student photographers out there (or anyone, really) with any advice as to finding talented students?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconitti:
Itti Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ask to see photos from whoever you hire. Some amateurs are better than some professionals. All that 'professional' means is that they are people who make a living from it. But hiring an amateur is more risky. They turn up with their camera - whoops! The battery ran out! Or whoops! one of their memory cards failed and you only got half the wedding pictures! Or whoops! A guest tripped over the tripod leg bringing the camera smashing to the cold stone floor and it won't work for the rest of the day.

A professional will have spare bodies, spare lenses, spare memory cards, on-site memory backup, third-party and liability insurance, maybe an assistant, and probably a bunch of other things I haven't even thought of.

I'm NOT saying, "Don't do it, it's too risky." I'm saying, "Be aware that it carries a risk." In the end it's your wedding and it's up to you to decide. Perhaps you'll decide that having photos from your wedding is critical to you, and you don't want to take that risk at all; it's not worth it. Or perhaps you'll decide that, in exchange for the lower price, you are happy with the fact that everything will probably be all right and you don't mind there being a small chance of it going wrong. I just wanted to point it out to you so that you can make your own decision based on all the facts available,.
:iconibsenthun:
Buy me the planeticket and I'll do professional weddingphotography for free...

Really, go for a professional photographer. This is your once in a lifetime event. Not getting a proper shoot done will make you look back and think "why"..

My offer still stands, tho'. :)
:icondonworld:
pros:
will be much cheaper

cons:
they won;t have the quality an experienced photographer will have
:iconnewdawnphoto:
I'm not going to read all the post so some of this may be redundant...

"Just how magical ARE professional photos vs amateur?"

In general, there is no comparison.

Here are just a few reasons why:

A professional knows much more about how to shoot a wedding from start to finish than most pople would ever think. It not only knowing the camera. It's knowing it like the back of your hand. ISO, aperture, focal length, speed, camera angle and more. It's knowing how and when to use the right combination and being able to switch to that through reflex. A professional knows where to be (or not be!) and when to be there. They will have checked out the venue prior to your wedding. They won't have the venue not allowing them to shoot because they have no insurance. They will be prepared with back ups for everything so when a camera, etc. goes down they won't stand there and have tell you why they were only able to photograph up intil the moment just before you had your first as a married couple ad you'll have to just remember the rest. Weddings are very difficult to photograph because location, lighting and time are always changing. You can go from inside a church (Dark, and you must have the right equipment to shoot in the dark without a flash), to an outside reception (Very bright and need the right equipment to be able to balance your lighting with sunlight and know how to do that while keeping the details in a black tux an a white dress), to twilight lighting and on and on. A professional is thinking of your wedding album while shooting and knows what he/she needs to get to tell the whole story. They know how to direct and pose people for the formal shots. They'll often include a second shooter. No one can be in two places at once. This is helpful when you are having your formals taken and the guests are having a nice time standing around and talking. You'll never see those moments unless another photographer is getting hose shots. Also very important if you and the groom are getting ready in different locations and/or at the same time. Those are are often charished photos by the couple as well as the parents. They also know how to edit and print correctly (Very important). All this and so much more that I won't bore you with.

So, if you're going with a student/amature you will not be getting anything close to what you would get from a professional. That said, alot of people do go with cheap or free amatures for whatever their reasons are. If you do, just know what you're getting into and don't be an ass about it when they screw up, and they will. However, if you are lucky you'll find someone with potential and talent. That will meen that they will only get a small percentage of good shots compared to a professional but at least those will be good shots. If this is how you will go, you might want to think about finding a student and paying him/her nothing. Do it in trade so they have something for their portfolio. Spend your money on the disposable cameras for the guests table. That way you might get a few decent shots from the photographer and you'll have a bunch of fun snaps from the guests. It's kind of a "medium" solution.
:iconlinniie-poo:
linniie-POO Jan 27, 2013  Student Filmographer
Hello fellow Sydneyer!! I'd say go for students who are particular in that field. It will be a great way to start up their experience. You can try and get it for free or maybe more incentive if you pay (Not in the 3000 field but good enough). Alot of students can hire equipment from school (depending on the day/weekend/month) although I think October schools are still open (but of course you would know this) OR they have their own equipment. Speaking of students, I know plenty of students who would be absolutely willing to do some photography shoots for you! If you go to College of Fine Arts (UNSW) located in Paddington and post up some flyers, I'm more than sure you will plenty of responses. All you need is to do your research, ask the right questions and you may find a photographer as good as professional ones! I go to that school and know some talented photographers studying there, one who already jumpstarted her career with wedding photography (Check out [link] ) . Anyway, essentially what I'm getting at is, make some posters and place them in art schools /art faculties in universities or colleges and I'm sure you can get some good photographers for your magic day. :)
phoenixdoll Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Helloo!

Thanks for the advice, I'll definately check your friend out.

I actually had thought about doing this, this morning, haha. It was kind of nice to see your post.. just kind of makes me think that my postering idea mightn't be so terrible if other people think it too.
:iconpandagirl1029:
Pandagirl1029 Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I see the option of the disposable cameras has been ruled out and that makes me happy as I seriously doubt that you would get any decent shots from such shoddy pieces of "equipment", if you can even call them that.

The problem with hiring an amateur would be the subject of price. While they might not ask for $2000 - $3000, you're likely not going to find many who are willing to go below $1250 for the basic portraits and a couple of spontaneous shots at the reception.

With the above stated, I have two suggestion:

1.) If your Uni has an art dept., ask the director of art if he could speak to the head of the Photography classes to see it he/ she may be willing to ask his/ her students if one, or a couple of them, may be willing to do a miniature internship as your wedding photographer.

Pros - You won't have to pay a dime (unless you feel that they really deserve it) and you still get good photographic mementos.

Cons - Your wedding photos will likely be made public as part of the photographer's portfolio.

OR

2.) You can ask your guests to bring their digital cameras and take photos throughout the ceremony.

Pros - Your photos remain private and you still don't pay a dime.

Cons - The photo quality may not be up to par with that of a "seasoned" amateur (ie. shakiness and blur, out of focus, not close up, etc)
phoenixdoll Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Thanks for the advice! I attend Macquarie University, Sydney. There is no fine art department, otherwise I totally would shamelessly take some art or art history electives.

However, being an artistic type I actually have recently discovered that I do have contacts with quite a few hobbyist photographers willing to do it for free, I've also had a very kind dA member from a town north of Sydney make an offer to photograph my wedding should things fall through.

I'll definately be doing the 2nd option no matter what. I was thinking I'd tell all my guests to take photos and to email me their files.. I'll put the best 50 on my tumblr.
:iconfallisphoto:
If you're not shy, and your husband doesn't mind, you might be able to trade modelling services for it. Might take a couple of weeks to work it off though.
phoenixdoll Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah, it depends on what kind of modelling. I'm certain that he would be even less comfortable with me doing nude modelling than I would be.

I also totally don't have the figure or complexion to be a model. Nor the time.
Add a Comment: