Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 22, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

A question about my canon powershot camera...

:iconmeggylou:
meggylou Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I have a Canon Powershot SX150is Camera and I want to know if it can take a polarizing filter.

If anyone knows can they please tell me as I just got this camera and want to use the filter to enhance my photography.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
It's possible, but it may be more trouble than it's worth. Your camera is not really built for using lens filters. You'd have to rig something to hold the filter and then you'd have the problem that to use a polarizer effectively, you really want to use an SLR, because you want to look through the lens and see what it is doing. I'm not sure how well the viewing screen would work for this with a compact camera, so you'd probably have to take a lot of photos, adjusting the polarizer by increments, in order to just happen to get one with the polarizer in the right position.
:iconjoergens-mi:
joergens-mi Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'll think the results of the polarising filter will be easily t to bee seen on the build in monitor. For important sections you can zoom in typically. I'm using most of the time the optical viewfinder on my Pentax K-5 but I also did seveal photos with the live view and the polarising effect is clearly to be seen
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
Well, if that will work then problem solved.
joergens-mi Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
There is no direct possibility to mount any filter at this camera, but here are solutions available. The solution must be something similar to that.

[link] ( this is a german source, but with good pictures)

[link]

[link]

[link]

I think the A-type filter set (A 300 / A290) will fit. You need a circular polarizing filter, not a linear one.

The cokin filters have a good performance, I don't use this system but a cokin P, because of my camera.
:iconmeggylou:
meggylou Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Ok thanks a lot!
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
According to the BHPhotovideo page, the A300 filter system should work for that camera model. It looks a bit hokey, but it should work. The main downside is that you have to be careful as they can add an extra reflective surface because they don't mount directly to the lens.
can you give a link to BHPhotovideo.

I think Cokin has a lot of experience for manufacturing these filtes. My set of gradual Gray, gray and Pol-Filters work fine, even if I use only the first slot of the holder.

When mounting, you should mount in a way that the last slot (the round one nearest to the camera is at an position that is close to the longest extension of the lens.)
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
Yep, this is just the holder and mounting hardware, no filters, but for $14 and free shipping it's probably not a bad price. Although, I'm not sure how well this would do with a polarizer.

[link]
I don't think there are any problems with that. I'm using the Cokin-p system on my camera with polarizer, Grey, graduated grey and a blue yellow polarizer P173
without any problems.

( [link]
[link]
)
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013
Are you able to twist the filter? Just curious as this filter holder doesn't look like it would handle rotation very well.
Add a Comment: