Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 22, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 93

Not sharp photos even with tripod (canon)

:iconpetrova:
petrova Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist
Hi,
it feels I've been struggling for years to get sharp photos with my camera. I then thought it would help with a tripod but no. It looks sharp before I take the shot.

I use:
canon eos 450D + 50mm 1.8 II lens and sometimes a close up filter (+4)

I don't have an image stabiliser and I shoot product photos (so nothing moving) and I usually have either 2 sec delay or remote. I choose focus point - not the camera.

I don't even feel I get sharp shots with the auto setting! I usually shoot in AV (aperture prio).

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

I mean, it's either me being stupid or my camera have some kind of focus problem.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
Sorry, but I just noticed that you said you bought your cameera used. I think the problem is going to be with the camera and I think it is going to be that someone tried to save some money on pec pads and cleaned the sensor with cotton swabs. It would not be the first time someone has done this, it wouldn't be the first time I have run into it personally, and if this is the case, then the sensor shield needs to be replaced.
petrova Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist
Ow, is that expensive or is it better to look for a new camera?
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013
$170 (filter replacement) + $120 (labour charge). Considering that B&H has a good used one for about $300, I think I'd get that instead. Sorry.
:iconravendarke:
RavenDarke Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Professional General Artist
l2f if that doesnt help get diffrent lens to compare it with.
petrova Featured By Owner Feb 19, 2013  Hobbyist
I've had the issue on all 4 of my lenses.
:icontimberclipse:
TimberClipse Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2013  Professional Filmographer
As someone else sugegsted the 50mm 1.8 has some interesting effects, I too found that it was never in focus. I would highly suggest the upgrade to the 1.4
petrova Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist
I've had the issue on all my 4 lenses so I doubt it's that one. I think it's me or camera :nod:
:icontimberclipse:
TimberClipse Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Professional Filmographer
:/

I wonder if there's any way to have your camera cleaned perhaps? Maybe by B&H Photo?
:iconjanziboi:
Janziboi Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Get your focused checked, google "focus test chart" and you should be able to find something, or just use a ruler. I had my camera calibrated and it worked wonders. If you don't get sharp results from any lens it's probably your camera.

Also you say your camera is second hand, how many exposures have been done with it? Sensors deteriorate over time getting softer and softer.

Looking through your gallery, I think you have plenty of sharp images. Not pro-grade sharp but to achieve that you need pro-grade gear and editing techniques.
petrova Featured By Owner Jan 28, 2013  Hobbyist
I shot a pic at a ruler the other day, I had it on 1.8 to get a narrow field and shot it with aperture prio (and everything else on auto) on tripod and it seems to be right where I focused but "dreamy" even in the "sharper" parts.

The problem being that the photos I have here usually 1-3 taken out from 60-70 picture in a session which I have to throw away due to to sharpness - I want to fix that because it's frustrating.

Unsure how many exposures it's on my camera but the problem was when I got it which I then thought was because I was new, but I still have the issue (got it in 2008) and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I don't need the crisp sharpness, I just need things to be less dreamy in my product shots ;)
Add a Comment: