Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 18, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 8

DeviantArt changing the colors of your photographs...?

:iconphyredeiter:
PhyreDeiter Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student General Artist
Okay so I'm a complete no0b to DeviantArt, haha so please excuse my ignorance. xP

But have any of you fellow photographers found that DeviantArt will change the colors of your photographs once you upload them? I've only uploaded a couple of shots so far, but it feels like they've been desaturated and possibly made a bit cooler.

Or am I just going crazy? This could also be a likely scenario. =P

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
As Olda-G said, sRGB is the standard for monitor display and it's generally what the defaults are for when manufacturing monitors. They may be poorly calibrated, but if you use sRGB it's your best bet at getting it to look right on random computer monitors.

AdobeRGB and some of the others are typically aimed at printing or other use.

But yeah, you should generally use either sRGB or AdobeRGB for best results depending upon your expected output medium.
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Fuzzypiggy is steering you in the right direction. If you are using photoshop use edit->convert to profile->sRGB. This will convert your color space and preserve EXIF data (which I prefer). If you are using Lightroom adjust your export settings to do the same thing. You want to avoid editing in jpeg but converting to high quality jpeg (I usually go for maximum) as the final step is the right way to go. Deviant Art assumes everything is submitted is sRGB and any other color space will look odd.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
You're saving them in the wrong format.

Try 'save for web' in photoshop, or maybe .png format in other programs.

Web display has way less colors than your camera or graphics program can handle, so it's simplified down. Just saving as a jpg gives it even less colors to work with, and it sort of goes for the closest match on the colors it has access to- which doesn't always look like the 'right' color.

PNG is a little better about those colors, and save for web is intelligent and chooses the one that LOOKS closest as opposed to actually IS closest, so it looks more correct.
:iconcauterizesetsfire:
CauterizeSetsFire Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student General Artist
But isn't true when you save as for web ore PNG you lose quality in the sharpness ore pixels of the photograph?
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
That's going to happen to some degree no matter what you do.

I've never noticed any significant change with 'save for web'.

Saving as a jpg is way worse about all that.
:iconcauterizesetsfire:
CauterizeSetsFire Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student General Artist
Hmmm... all i know is when i post it as save for web ore png i do see the colours brighter but the quality of the pixel and focus is less somehow what kinda brings the quality of photo down what is kinda disappointing....
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
It's a common issue. It's to do with the embedded colour profiles in the images you're uploading.

Check this link :

FAQ #788: I submitted an image to deviantART but the colors look different then they did on my computer or the image looks blurry or pixelated. Why is this?
:iconphyredeiter:
PhyreDeiter Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Student General Artist
Ahhh! Thank you! This has been loads of help!
Add a Comment: