Closed to new replies
January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

Nikon Lenses/Extensions?

:iconsmilejustbcuz:
smilejustbcuz Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Hey guys! So last summer I earned enough money at my summer job to buy a new Nikon D5100, needless to say I've been ecstatic with it ever since(It's my Baby! =P) Anyways, it still has the original lens it came with which has done me good all this time, but it doesn't take SUPER DUPER close up macros like an actual macro lens would cost.

I don't have the money to go out and spend $300+ dollars on a macro lens, but I would still really love to be able to take super close up macros. I was doing some searching on Amazon and stumbled across these lens extension kits for Wide Angle, Macro, and Fisheye. They seem to be decent and the price is DEFINITELY right, but after looking at the reviews I got a little skeptical and was wondering if it was TOO good to be true. If they really did take close up macro, or wide angle, or wonderful fisheye photos etc.
Someone mentioned that the quality was terrible, and another person mentioned they couldn't get one of the lenses to fit, but other people were saying that they were worth the investment, fun to use, and they are also small and easy to travel with.

I'm worried about sacrificing quality but not TOO much because I'm not going to be blowing my pictures up to huge sizes or anything.. I was wondering if could get anyone's opinion on these? It would be greatly appreciated! If anything I'm sure they would work to give me a taste of super close macro and I will most likely go out and buy an actual lens if I really like using them.

[link]

[link]

[link]

Also, I was wondering what is a good wireless shutter remote to buy? I've seen quite a few on amazon that are dirt cheap, but then I questioned the quality. Money is limited, but I would be willing to spend up to 20 depending on how good the remote is. I am very interested in buying one but going out and searching on ebay or amazon by myself isn't as good as getting advice from other photographers before hand so I have an idea of what would work best.

Please leave comments below, I'm am certainly open for suggestions! :D

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconannimouse:
Annimouse Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I use extension tubes with my Nikon D40. It's important to note whether they have electrical contacts or not as if they don't, you'll have to focus etc manually.

The cheaper extension tubes tend to be cheaper for a reason. The reason being that they don't have electrical contacts.

Kenko make good extension tubes which retail at about 100-ish. Not sure how much that is in dollars but they're more expensive because of the contacts.

The good thing about extension tubes is that they don't compromise image quality, whereas the close-up filters tend to, even if it's just a little bit. I'd go for extension tubes every time.
smilejustbcuz Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Well I got a close up filter just to get a taste of it (11 dollars, can't go wrong! :)) and if I really like it then I think I'm going to upgrade to extension tubes with contacts or just go all out and get a macro lens! :D Thanks so much for the comment, it was very helpful! :)
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
For macro stuff, I've always used a HOYA Close-Up filter... you can get them at different magnifications - I have the +4 one. I've always been happy with the results it produced.

For a remote, I've always used a Nikon ML L3 (wireless). It's infrared, but I'm not certian if it will work with your D5100. I have D90 which is older than your DSLR. If it will work with yours then I'd highly recommend it. It's just straightforward and easy to use. Comes with a little carrying pouch/holder too.
smilejustbcuz Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I recently bought a somewhat cheap macro filter and am looking forward to see what I can do with it! :)

Thanks for the recommendations and taking the time to reply! :D
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
No problem. I noticed that you're doing the 365 project. Be sure to post some of the macro photos you take with the new filter on your page, so that we can see : )
smilejustbcuz Featured By Owner Jan 29, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'll be sure to do that! : )
:icondanyelasr:
danyelasr Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Concerning the wireless remote, I think you should buy the one that Nikon offers if you don't want to buy a generic one... it's not over 20 (:
[link]
smilejustbcuz Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D
:icondanyelasr:
danyelasr Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Welcome! Also, since I want a wireless remote too I was comparing the options when I discovered that the link I sent you was not compatible with your camera D: but surely there is another one that is!
smilejustbcuz Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I found one not long ago that is from a brand called Neweer, and it had a few features I liked, so I went ahead and bought it :) It will be a while before I get to use it since it's going somewhere else, but I can't wait! :D
Add a Comment: