January 17, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

Budget Macro Lenses

:iconsilber-englein:
silber-englein Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Hello All,
I've been meaning to start doing some macro photography and I wanted to buy a starter lens for it. I've been searching for a while but I can't seem to find anything that's less than 400 without sacrificing a large amount on quality. I have a Canon EOS 400D. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Is finding something with decent quality that costs less than 200 (around US$270) impossible? Thanks for the help!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconposeidonsimons:
poseidonsimons Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I use sigma lenses. They are cheap and produce decent results.
silber-englein Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Thanks! :thanks:
:iconsecondclaw:
secondclaw Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
I agree - Macro extension tubes would allow you to use your existing lenses as macro. Be aware though that cheap tubes do not have contacts to allow camera to communicate with the lens. Some expensive ones, such as Kenko Auto Extention Tubes, do ([link]) and allow full auto-focus with the tubes attached. It may or may not be important in this case. I think that for $200 USD the tubes are too expensive, but a used copy may be good to get. I'm looking for one myself.
Thanks for the good advice!
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
I'm doing what FSGPhotography suggests. I found [link] on amazon and I'm waiting for them in the mail. I'll be throwing my 50mm F1.8 on the end of that. If I understand things correctly, I'll have about 9inches of working distance and have magnification up to 1.25x.

But, for $22 plus the cost of the lens, it's hard to go wrong. It's probably not as good as using a proper macro, but it's a lot cheaper.
Thanks for the tip!
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 27, 2013
Starting in probably a week I'm likely to start using those extension tubes. Like I said, for the cost it's hard to pass that up, even if you don't have automatic control over anything. Ideally I would have a completely manual lens where I could adjust the aperture manually.
:iconchristophmaier:
ChristophMaier Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I suggest you take a look at Sigma's 50mm macro lens: [link] (or for lower prices check here: [link] but I don't know the cheaper stores on that list so no guarantees)

I had it for quite some years and really enjoyed it. It's quality is really good it does offer a true 1:1 macro. Extension tubes might be an even cheaper solution but if you are serious about macro I would suggest going with a real macro lens from the start.
Thank you very much!
:iconphotography-forever:
Photography-Forever Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
You might want to try Macro extension tubes. Try googling them.
Add a Comment: