Closed to new replies
January 16, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Camera Considerations

:iconamana07:
Amana07 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
Still saving a bit of money, and i'm considering a new camera. Right now, I use a Canon 350D. I got it quite some time ago after attending the Game Developer Conference (2007), in San Francisco. Getting beyond that, i'm wondering what is a good Canon camera to go for right now.

One idea that i've being toying with is making HD video movies, instead of just photography. The Canon 60D camera looks like it might fit the bill, and I happened to see a refurbished model for around $799. The ones that I primarily saw online, that were new, normally retail for around $1,000 to $1,200 dollars. Even though the camera I got is a refurbed model and has served me well, I know that you take a risk with refurbished models, having to be particularly careful of them.

Are there any other Canon cameras that can make HD movies besides the 60D? Budget wise, I only have $700 to $900 to spend since money is kind of tight right now. Currently have the 18mm to 55mm lens that came with my 350D, and a Quanta Ray 28mm to 90mm telephoto/macro lens that I used with my 35mm Canon camera for photography class.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsecondclaw:
secondclaw Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013
Canon 5D Mark II does full HD (1080p) movies. But its not a 'camcorder' and requires actually planning out your shots. Not sure if it has auto-focus in movie move. I believe a full episode of 'House' tv show was filmed using that camera a few years back. I have one - its an excellent camera - but I never use movie recording mode. You can get one used for 1300 or so and brand new for 1700 - 1800 - as its an older model.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
If you buy the 60D now, you can get a new 60D from BHPhotovideo for $799, it's $999 with $200 off and I think free shipping.

The 7D also allows you to shoot videos, but that's probably out of your price range at $1199. It's the one that I've bought and am looking forward to using.

The 60D is a high end hobbyist camera. The controls aren't as good as the 7D, but the optics are fine and it's probably better to spend the extra money on better lenses. But, it's probably a good enough body that you'll be using it for years.
:iconmylifeinfocus:
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
The 60D may fit your bill pretty well, it's a semi-professional model and it will be a vast improvement from your 350D. What I wanted to mention however is that it would not surprise me at all if Canon adds a 70D and a 7D Mk II to their line up in 2013, I'm not saying what and buy one of those but if you wait for them to come out you could get an even better price on the 7D or 60D.
The T3i/T4i are viable options to look into as well!
:iconamana07:
Amana07 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I have no problem waiting for a better camera. At the moment, i'm in no rush to spend the money since things are tight. If necessary, I may have to relinquish part, or all, of the money to help pay bills. However, I definitely want to consider a new camera. Or perhaps I will consider After Effects, it's really up in the air. Mainly mention the camera since my 350D camera has served me well, but the DSLR is showing its age.
:iconmylifeinfocus:
MyLifeInFocus Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Very understandable, that's why I propose waiting on the newer models so you can save a bit on 2nd generation cameras! Wish you the best with your choice! Good luck!
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Photographer
The Eos Rebel T4i does but I hear the autofocus can be a little slow. It's anywhere from 600-800 for the body and a few lens kits you might be able to get for 800-900.
Add a Comment: