Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 49

What do you think about Nikkor 50mm f/1,8?

:iconpolfiedary:
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm wondering about buying it because I really want to have a good portrait lens.
I wanna get some opinions from others. ;)

(I have already Helios (44M-6) 58mm. It's even good, but not great.

Soo... if you ever used this lens, could you write the most important informations (does it work good, is it worth for money under 320$, etc.)?

AF-S Nikkor or simple AF Nikkor? Why?

And try to find advantages and disadvantages of those lenses.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpookiem0n:
PookieM0N Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist
Good lens for a GOOD price! I got mine for christmas (but I was planning on buying afterwards so I did my research) Ive only used it a handful of times and it takes some times to get use to but it is worth it!
:iconjsvn:
Jsvn Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I use 50mm 1.8D on a d7000. I find it extremely sharp from f2.8 up, though I am not professional so maybe I don't know my 'shit'... :D It's very versatile and makes you move around and concentrate on framing more than you would with a zoom. I love it.
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm not sure I'd pay a lot of attention to "konstantingl". It doesn't sound like he's really tried the 1.8D lens out. All he's done is describe it as 'shit' (not the best technical analysis, I'm sure you'll agree).

I have the 50mm 1.8D and I use it with my Nikon D90. It's a sharp lens and is pretty good at focusing. The main differences between the 1.8D and the more modern 1.8G are the following:

- The newer 1.8G is obviously quite a bit more expensive.
- The older 1.8D has no autofocus capabilities when used with entry-level cameras that lack an autofocus motor.
- The newer 1.8G
- They both focus at roughly the same speed, however the newer 1.8G has a silent wave motor allowing for very quiet focusing
- The newer 1.8G has an aspherical lens element.
- The newer 1.8G has slightly better contrast and sharpness when photos are viewed at 100%.

Honestly, for the price the older 1.8D is a STEAL. It's a good bit of kit to have in your bad. If you're making money from your photos, such as from weddings, there are good reasons so use the newer 1.8G, otherwise, I'd say go for the 1.8D.
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
You are right that the 50mm f1.8 AF-D is a perfectly good lens and a real bargain. But it is a much better choice for your D90 than the D5100 because the D5100 lacks an autofocus motor for AF-D lenses. Unfortunately the 50mm f1.8 G has disappeared from the marketplace here in the US. They seem to be sold out everywhere.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I have one myself, great lens, one of the old metal ones.

Not the fastest by todays standards, but its certainly takes stunning photos. Its also inexpensive.
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
hm, okay.
:iconkonstantingl:
konstantingl Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I use 50mm 1.8G, and think it's great lens!!! so sharp and deep and such low price! :) (try 50mm 1.8D in shop, don't buy it. it's shit lens%)
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
hm, okay. :)
Which is shit?
:iconkonstantingl:
konstantingl Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
[link] Great lens
[link] Shit lens
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Why do you think that manual lens is worse than lens with autofocus? :?
Add a Comment: