Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 15, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 49

What do you think about Nikkor 50mm f/1,8?

:iconpolfiedary:
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm wondering about buying it because I really want to have a good portrait lens.
I wanna get some opinions from others. ;)

(I have already Helios (44M-6) 58mm. It's even good, but not great.

Soo... if you ever used this lens, could you write the most important informations (does it work good, is it worth for money under 320$, etc.)?

AF-S Nikkor or simple AF Nikkor? Why?

And try to find advantages and disadvantages of those lenses.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpookiem0n:
PookieM0N Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist
Good lens for a GOOD price! I got mine for christmas (but I was planning on buying afterwards so I did my research) Ive only used it a handful of times and it takes some times to get use to but it is worth it!
:iconjsvn:
Jsvn Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013
I use 50mm 1.8D on a d7000. I find it extremely sharp from f2.8 up, though I am not professional so maybe I don't know my 'shit'... :D It's very versatile and makes you move around and concentrate on framing more than you would with a zoom. I love it.
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm not sure I'd pay a lot of attention to "konstantingl". It doesn't sound like he's really tried the 1.8D lens out. All he's done is describe it as 'shit' (not the best technical analysis, I'm sure you'll agree).

I have the 50mm 1.8D and I use it with my Nikon D90. It's a sharp lens and is pretty good at focusing. The main differences between the 1.8D and the more modern 1.8G are the following:

- The newer 1.8G is obviously quite a bit more expensive.
- The older 1.8D has no autofocus capabilities when used with entry-level cameras that lack an autofocus motor.
- The newer 1.8G
- They both focus at roughly the same speed, however the newer 1.8G has a silent wave motor allowing for very quiet focusing
- The newer 1.8G has an aspherical lens element.
- The newer 1.8G has slightly better contrast and sharpness when photos are viewed at 100%.

Honestly, for the price the older 1.8D is a STEAL. It's a good bit of kit to have in your bad. If you're making money from your photos, such as from weddings, there are good reasons so use the newer 1.8G, otherwise, I'd say go for the 1.8D.
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
You are right that the 50mm f1.8 AF-D is a perfectly good lens and a real bargain. But it is a much better choice for your D90 than the D5100 because the D5100 lacks an autofocus motor for AF-D lenses. Unfortunately the 50mm f1.8 G has disappeared from the marketplace here in the US. They seem to be sold out everywhere.
:iconjackmolotov3:
JackMolotov3 Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I have one myself, great lens, one of the old metal ones.

Not the fastest by todays standards, but its certainly takes stunning photos. Its also inexpensive.
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
hm, okay.
:iconkonstantingl:
konstantingl Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I use 50mm 1.8G, and think it's great lens!!! so sharp and deep and such low price! :) (try 50mm 1.8D in shop, don't buy it. it's shit lens%)
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
hm, okay. :)
Which is shit?
[link] Great lens
[link] Shit lens
Why do you think that manual lens is worse than lens with autofocus? :?
but i think you should try to buy 50mm 1.8G, maybe it would be used, or very used. but it's really amazing! my brother have canon camera and new canon 50mm f1.2, and it not more sharp than my lens)
you mean AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1,8 is the "50mm 1.8G", right? ;)
yes it is:)
okay. :)
(1 Reply)
there was autofocus at my camera, i forgot about it:)
50mm 1.8D is fully shit:) but 50mm 1.8G is great lens:)
You don't have a single clue wht you're talking about. I own the 1.8D and I can say that it is not shit at all. I'm very pleased with the results. It's a nice sharp lens, and for the price i's well worth it.
konstantingl Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i say that it was unsharp at corners at full frame camera, if you use crop camera it maybe really good and sharp lens:) sorry for shit name for lens, my english is bad, and shit mean just not good lens:) but at full frame it's unusable because unsharp and moir)
Yes but you also wrote this " don't buy it. it's shit lens [...] 50mm 1.8D is fully shit" even if it doesn't retain universal sharpness into the corners, that's quite normal as most lenses aren't as sharp in the corners as they are in the center. However, even if it is, that doesn't make it a "shit" lens by any means.
konstantingl Featured By Owner Jan 20, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i use it, it unusable. bon't try defend it. my language knowing don't allow me to discuss. i lost knowingly:) i own helios and even this lens are better than 50mm 1.8D and it's my opinion, and i think that my skill allow me to say that it's shit :P
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
"my language knowing don't allow me to discuss"

Then why are you trying to discuss it?

"and i think that my skill allow me to say that it's shit"

Oh, believe me, you don't need skill to brand something "shit" - any damn fool can say that, as you have several times in this thread.

Just so you friggin' know for future reference, in international English it's not "shit" it's "bad" or "not good".
(1 Reply)
ooh, why? :? I read many opinions about this lens and they said it's great. What does "G" mean and why is it better? ;)
i don't know what does mean G at the end of the lens name:) and sorry for my english, i am from russia, there no english:) if compare this two lenses so 50mm 1.8G would be more and more sharp than 50mm 1.8D. It's one really difference these lenses:) if you use non full frame camera try 50mm 1.8D. it have very unsharp image on the corners at full frame, but crop cameras have little image area, and maybe it would be very sharp:) It would best buy in your life if it is:) 50mm 1.8D was very low weight and dimensions:)
don't worry, I'm also not perfect in English because I'm from Poland. ;)

hm, soo... very pity. I thought that Nikkor 50mm f/1,8D will be better for my Nikon D5100. Now I just don't know. :?
if you have money so 50 1.8G will be better 100% :) i bought used lens for 200$ in Russia, in Poland it may cost 100-150$ used.
thanks for your help. :) I have to get more money and I will buy it soon. ;)
:iconiona-vorster:
Iona-Vorster Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
I've got a Nikon D90 and a AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4G. I bought it in December '12. I'd wanted one for ages, and ages, and ages because everyone always talks about them and takes pretty good photos with them. I love the depth of field, but I really wish I'd researched more. I didn't know that if you don't have a full frame sensor then the lens is more zoomed in than it would normally be. It's been a real pain in the ass trying to take pictures of people that are close to me (not close up portraits, just when the person is in close proximity). I would prefer a 35mm lens for my particular camera. If yours has a full frame sensor, then it could be good. I've used 50mm's on some of my film cameras, and while I can get closer, sometimes the portraits look a bit like I'd taken them with a fish eye lens. It might just be the particular lens, camera or angle though.

So... In conclusion, I do think it's a great lens, (the focus is insane) but if you're going to be close to the people maybe then a smaller lens may be better
I use Nikon D5100.
Thanks for the comment!
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
I shot with a Helios 44 for a while, I love those lenses, such distinct character and they are so sturdily built. I lose mine in a car accident and have been watching craigslist for another ever since.

As for the 50mm F1.8, I have one, the D version, and to be honest I really am not a fan of it. Don't get me wrong it makes very sharp images but I just find 50mm to be a bit too wide for portraits and the Bokeh it makes is very distracting. Everyone will be different but I vastly prefer the 85mm focal length for portraiture. The only time I use the 50mm is when I need to shoot full body length in studio.
I know Helios 44 lens because I use one. ;) But it's a bit... I don't know how to say that. Often I've got a problem with light, blur or too dark photos.

I really want to get Nikkor 85mm 1,8, but I haven't got money for it... But I know that it's the best portrait lens.
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Ya, thats why I mentioned it. :) And I agree it does have those downsides but that is why the lens is so great. When shooting with it I am looking for that slight dreamy blur with cool lens flare and that swirly creamy bokeh it makes. Never had any issues with being too dark through, F2.0 is pretty fast.

And yes, the darn money issue, photography sure isn't cheap. I'd say keep an eye on the used market, might be able to get one cheaper. :)
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
That's interesting. I'm thinking of picking up the 35mm f2.0 for when I switch to full frame and start doing portraits. I just recently purchased the 50mm 1.8 D and am very impressed with it, but even though I am shooting with it on a crop sensor, I feel like I need something a little wider, especially for when you're in a small room.

Out of interest, at what aperture have you found the 50 1.8 to be sharpest? I took a hand-held pano at F8 and I loved the results. It made me not want to use my 18-55mm kit lens ever again, but I know I'll have to lol
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Honestly I'v never really had a shot where I have noticed sharpness issues on it but like I said I don't shoot with it very often. Even at 1.8 it has seemed very sharp to me. Although it does have CR issues.
:iconravyns-photography:
Ravyns-Photography Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Photographer
I have two primes- a 50 1.8, and an 85 1.8, both Nikon. Best purchases I've ever made, honestly (lens-wise). I shoot mostly portraits, so this was definitely a choice for me, but it works superbly for many other uses. I find it one of my best lenses for shooting events, some landscape work (Until I get that 35 mm prime. :la: ). Definitely a purchase I'd recommend. I believe mine is the AF-S, and I've never had any issues what-so-ever. I love the lens to pieces.
ooh, okay. Thanks for your comment. (:
Ravyns-Photography Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Photographer
Welcome!
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Is your 50mm 1.8 the D or the G? I just recently purchased the D ('cause little strapped for cash). I know I can sell it and upgrade later, or just hang onto it (but I don't see the point if I won't be using it). So far I am very, very pleased with it, as you can imagine I am since its my first prime lol.

I was going to ask if you shoot FF or with an APS-C sensor, but I see you have D90 (like me). I can understand why a 35mm prime would be better for landscape stuff, and that will probably be my next prime purchase.
Ravyns-Photography Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Professional Photographer
Mine is the D, and honestly, I've never had an issue with it. It's a very awesome little lens, for such and affordable rate. I don't see the point in upgrading (unless you're a gearhound)-- The differences, unless you're a really bad picky person, are going to be minimal. Of course, if you're upgrading from a crop sensor, you may have to upgrade eventually, but if you're using a d90, odds are, the differences will be minimal.

I'd definitely recommend it. I've been scoping it out lately, and it seems to be relatively as affordable as the 50 1.8 D ; around $250 (w/o taxes), which is quite affordable, for a photographer on a budget.
:iconeyeballman:
eyeballman Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Your 5100 does not have a focusing motor in the body, so if you want auto-focus, you'll need to go with the AF-S version of the lens.
But- if I don't want to buy lens with auto-focus, AF-S lens isn't need, right? Can it be only AF?
:iconeyeballman:
eyeballman Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
AF-D lenses will work (sans the AF bit of course).
yeah, I know it.
:iconolda-g:
Olda-G Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
The Nikon 50mm f1.8G AF-S is really one of Nikon's best lenses and in terms of performance vs price (about $220) you really can't do better. It's an excellent lens.
AF-S will autofocus on any Nikon dSLR whereas some other versions of the 50mm will not.
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
okay, thank you for the opinion.
:iconforevercty:
foreverCTY Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
For the AF-S and AF part, that really depends on your camera body. As for the 50mm as a portrait lens, it works well but like many things it has disadvantages. For one you'll be locked into the one zoom factor, which really comes down to personal preference on how you want your portraits to look. It does provide nice bokeh though, so you would be countersetting the lack of having a long zoom. Is it worth under 320, yup. I use it now and then. Not as often as my other glass but I do use it.

Just as examples, these: [link], [link], [link], [link], [link] were all shot on a 50 prime lens. It's certainly up to the task and if you can afford it I'd suggest it as a 50 prime is versatile for many shooting scenarios. It's great in lower light which is why it happens to be a favourite of mine for shooting indoors with.
I use Nikon D5100.
Thanks for the comment!
Add a Comment: