January 14, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Hiring Photographers?

:iconbohobella:
bohobella Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Hi guys,

I'm looking to hire photographers online for the first time but have no idea where to look. I'm not looking for local photographers, as I basically need stock imagery of models and still life for drawing reference. 

This isn't an ad, so much as a photography n00b wondering what resources exist for photographers and buyers to find each other? I've used the job forums here, but they leave much to be desired. 

I assume it's not as simple as craigslist or eLance.

Thanks!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmad-shrewd:
mad-shrewd Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Hmm, it sounds like this is something that you should just do for yourself. This kind of work isn't easy to arrange when you're not actually there. Presumably, you know what your composition should look like and that's going to be extremely difficult to communicate to somebody not in the room.

There's also the issue of lighting, even with the proper composition, there's a ton of ways one can light the still life which will look very different.

If you use pre-existing stock, make sure you know what rights you're buying. And just buy the rights you need. If you don't need to use the photo itself, try to just buy the rights to make a derivative copy. Distribution can also be an issue, if you post it to the web, you'll likely need worldwide rights or rights to post to the web.

As a result, it's probably a lot better to just learn how to do it yourself, as it's not easy at all to arrange. And once you learn to do it yourself, you have so much more control over the materials you generate.

Plus, it's just a camera, they only bite when you stick your finger past the mirror. :-P
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013
The process for finding photographers usually means just searching the web for us and when you find a portfolio of work that you really like you contact them about pricing. I would warn you though, while what you are looking for sounds pretty simple it can actually be a fairly expensive process since it involves hiring a model and actually setting up a shoot. I think your best bet is probably just to use the microstock photo agencies like shutterstock or istock and just find your reference photos from their existing database.
I can imagine.

It's very likely for the models I will not hire anyone, but for the still life I'd really like a photographer to set up what I'd like to draw. The model work is very basic posing so generic stock would likely be fine.

Thanks for your help though, I've only really hired models/photographers as a graphic designer and never for drawing resources so I felt like a total fool and wanted to try and word this as short and simple as I could!
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Photographer
If you could send me an email on specifically what you are looking for, maybe between a couple of photographers on this forum we can create all the images you need.
Oh found it!
That would be wonderful. Could you note me your contact info? :)
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Photographer
michael_rowlandson@hotmail.com
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Photographer
I might be able to help with still life if you elaborate more on what you want. And we'll see if it's something I'm willing or able to do, then we can talk price.
Thanks. The still life is what I'd like moreso than the model work anyways. I'll note you! :)
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Photographer
Great, waiting to hear from you (still didn't get any note). :)
Add a Comment: