Shop More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 4

Tips for taking pictures with a point and shoot.

:icondevil-thedeviant:
Devil-TheDeviant Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi people I need some tips for taking some great pictures using a sony WX7.
I know that you would probably ask me getting a DSLR but I need tips for using my current camera only.

You can also take a look at my :gallery: and give me some tips.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconyangosplat:
yangosplat Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Light your photos super well, as point and shoot cameras don't do well in low light. (They yank the ISO up super high which increases noise way too much.)

Also, as FallisPhoto said, composition is really important. If you compose your photos well, the quality of the photo does not matter as much. (See [link]).
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Pay attention to every element in the frame, not just the subject. You seem to be totally focused on the subject, but the foreground and background are part of the composition too. Find better angles without crap in the frame and that have backgrounds that actually add something to the composition. If you can't do that, learn how to use depth of field effects to blur the background so that it doesn't detract from the composition.
:icondevil-thedeviant:
Devil-TheDeviant Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013

You might also look up the "rules of composition." Bear in mind that they are not really engraved in stone rules, they're more like suggestions. There are a lot more rules in composition than the rule of thirds and leading lines.

=Yangosplat has given you a link to a tutorial on the rule of thirds and leading lines, and I have not really read it, but nearly every one of those tutorials fails to mention that you should more often use the "rule of halves" on a symmetrical composition (put the eyes on the upper horizontal bar, but the body goes nearer the middle the more the subject is turned toward you and the more symmetrical the subject appears.

Also, when Yangosplat said "the quality of the photo does not matter as much," that means that there is a narrow margin of error, when it comes to exposure, and it is pretty damned slim, but you don't have to be perfect to have a good photo. Of course the nearer you are to perfect, the better things are going to be, so you do have to try, and pros bracket like hell (shoot one pose at several different exposures) so they get it right.

Add a Comment: