Closed to new replies
January 11, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 9

Cosplay Photography

:iconnerdierphotography:
NerdierPhotography Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Photographer
Last year I began to dabble in some toy photography, which I will continue doing, but this year I want to go LIFE SIZE. So I think I'm gonna start doing cosplay photography.

If anyone has any resources or advice, I'd really be grateful. I'm planning on attending a few conventions, and do a few "event style" cosplay shoots, then move on to private shoots once I have a few things to show. Eventually, I want to hire-out professionally built cosplay outfits/suits, hire models, hair and makeup, the works, and strive for really professional/magazine/knock your socks off quality.

I really wanna focus on Tokusatsu, Action-Anime (DBZ, FMA) comic books/superheroes, movies/TV, and really, really good cosplay. I Have a Bachelor's Degree in Photography and have held exhibitions internationally.

I'm in D/FW, Texas if anyone wants to participate in this venture along with me.

Also, HELLO!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmortello-prints:
Mortello-Prints Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Photographer
Definitely have a game plan set up before you plan anything else. It's all about location, lighting, and an understanding between your model and you. Check out some of our work if you want some examples!

For the best cosplay pics, you need a model that can really get in character! They have to be believable. :nod:
NerdierPhotography Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Photographer
Guys, can I tell you something, this is not the kind of advice I'm after. I know how to do a photoshoot, I've done many, my "game plan" about doing studio, non-event shoots IS my goal. What I have no experience doing is the event stuff, meeting people in the trade, and getting a portfolio together to show people to get them interested in my work. Getting started with my work in college was always the toughest part, and now I'm entering a new subject matter and starting over, but I've made lots of good connections along the way.
Mortello-Prints Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Photographer
My apologies, the way you worded it made you sound like a beginner. Sorry about that!
Well, if you want to meet people in the trade, just attend some conventions, there are always photography booths there. =)
NerdierPhotography Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Photographer
Hmm, sounds like a good plan. There's a small toy convention I should be attending next weekend .
Mortello-Prints Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Photographer
Sounds like a good place to start! Good luck. :nod:
:iconimagesolutions2:
imagesolutions2 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I would suggest you map out a game plan first. Set up your budget for the year then look at the conventions around the US/ work you can attend ([link]). When I go to conventions, I usually spend about four hundred dollars for that weekend and that is before getting a booth, if you are interested in that aspect. After you get some great photographs, you could start advertising on online anime boards to set up photo shoots while at the events.
Yeah, I'm planning on a few little ones so far. I may even hit up A-kon.
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
My best suggestion is to focus on your photo technique and learn environment portraiture. The vast majority of cosplay photography I see is terrible. It is almost always boring compositions in harsh light. Which is really a shame because the costumes are often impressive and the poor photography makes them look tacky and cheap. If you want to see what really well done cosplay photography can look like take a look at Michelle Monique's work ([link]). It does mean every single shoot requires a lot of prep and set up which is then followed by many hours in photoshop but the end product can be very striking.
I absolutely expect each shoot to be quite an ordeal. Like I said, I've done a lot of model photography in the past, been exhibited, won awards, etc, and my goal as a cosplay photographer is honestly to blow so far past the rest and really just make really, really great photos. I've got some very interesting things in mind.
Add a Comment: