Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Hi, I'm new to Photography...

:iconoscarkirby:
OscarKirby Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Hi, I'm new to Photography. I am really enjoying it so far and think its great. I am slowly trying to build a portfolio up for university next year.

I am posting here just to get my photos out there and see if anyone has any feedback they could give me. I know at the moment I'm really bad but I really hope to get much better in the near future.

[link]

Have a nice night :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Not bad, you're trying lots of different subjects and even some good starts on using elements to drive your composition. Couple of pointers, ease back on the zoom a little. No need to ram the lens into a subject to isolate it. Lots of practice will give you ideas on how to use the elements and light around you to naturally highlight something interesting. You don't have zoom lenses in your eyes so just think to yourself, "I spotted that interesting thing over there so what stuff around it made me look at that thing and want a picture of it?".

Now you're putting basic compositions together and capturing them you need to start getting up to speed on processing your images to bring out the contrast and interesting colours you see. Every image from every digital camera always looks flat, you'd hate to see how flat my RAWs look when they first come off camera. Have a dig about in some magazines and websites see what you can find about first steps in basic post-processing that will lift an image's tones and colours up a little. Once you get a feeling for it, it gives you lots of ideas when you're out there looking for shots to take. I've always found post-processing knowledge adds something to my actual shooting, gives me even more ideas about things I can do with the shots that I otherwise might not consider.
:iconpolfiedary:
PolfieDary Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
You aren't so bad as you think at photography. Maybe you should taking more photos about different theme. :) Just think what do you want to show people to make them interested. If you want to get inspiration for taking photos- let's surf on the deviantART and find artists who will make you more self-confident. :) And the last one- read maaaaaaany posts and tutorials about photography. It's really, really helpful!
I hope you will better, better and better in your interest. :) Good luck!
:icondinosayyrawr:
DinoSayyRawr Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson

The key is to constantly be creating photographs. Practice is crucial. Try to experiment with portrait photography, landscapes, and the works. If you look up different photography techniques such as levitation, HDR, or even light leaks you can then practice with that. You want to be able to make a narrative within your shots. Different techniques can make that easier. (:

I am a mainly self-taught hobbyist, but I strongly encourage taking a class. Photography assignments are a great help.
:iconlailasaptri:
lailasaptri Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Student Photographer
Hello. try to add subject matter in your photograph to make it more interesting. You have passion in photography, that is what every photographer need. Good luck!
:iconchelliusbee:
Chelliusbee Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Your composition is fantastic, you've a good eye for it, but as qwstarplayer has mentioned, they need a little bit of post-process. The colours are a bit flat and the image doesn't pop. Yet don't overdo it. Deepen some shadows, boost some colours a little but you're working with a naturally beautiful place, so it won't need a lot of adjustment. Experiment with different lighting through the trees etc. Great work! Keep it up! :D
:iconqwstarplayer:
qwstarplayer Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional General Artist
hey, looked at some of your latest photos, some more post produc. could be nice.. maybe try some gradiant exposures to get more details in the sky ie.
:iconoscarkirby:
OscarKirby Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
@LacieMelhart

I'm actually applying for Film and TV but I am beginning to like Photography more and more.
:iconultimamage578:
UltimaMage578 Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
Basically don't be afraid to get weird, like taking pictures where you never would think of taking pictures (like a grocery store or a superstore) or tilting your camera a little (I love different camera angles).

Also, take your camera everywhere. EVERYWHERE. But be careful. I think my camera was snagged at the mall.
:iconlash-upon-lash:
Lash-Upon-Lash Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Photographer
You have a natural knack for photography, now pretty much just go out and shoot as much as possible. Shooting lots increases creativity which is most of the battle.
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Photographer
Take lots of pictures of different things, shoot what you love and read lots of tutorials (and there's a wealth of knowledge amongst the photographers on this forum). But also don't be afraid to step outside of your boundaries - you might do a shoot, love the work you did but realize it's just not for you but it's still a chance to practice shooting and post editing. Are you trying to get into uni for photography?
Add a Comment: