Closed to new replies
January 10, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Sales on deviantART

:iconnightclawthefury:
NightclawtheFury Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm thinking more and more about photography since I finally have my new camera. I have already take some pictures, and attempted to sell them for some profit to help benefit me more in life, like money for college, car to get to work, money to finally move and begin my life happily... Those kind of reasons. I honestly wonder how many sales come through deviantART though, even with the popular and more famous people. So, I have a small question for you all, if you're able to answer it.

How popular are sales here on deviantART? Is it worth a try with selling? Are people actually buying artwork as a productive manner?

I only ask because I'm usually nervous about it, due to me not getting any sales whatsoever. However, I'm also a beginner, which plays into things, so this would be more rounded for those who are more famous, and have set their artwork for sale here. Because this question is highly serious thinking for my future, something besides a, "LOL, U STUPID" would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time. :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconskankinmike:
What everyone else has said there... With the addition of dA is the last place I'd think of selling prints...

When you have photography good enough that people wants to buy, i'd then approach trendy cafes and the like, who might display your work for sale, for a cut of the profit (usually around 20%).
:iconsarracarol:
sarracarol Jan 12, 2013  Professional Photographer
DeviantArt sales seem to mostly be the popular artists or incredibly amazing works.

For now, be selective. Not every photo should be a print, like a random snapshot of a lamp on a wall. And people can request your prints. Your more likely to get a DD than a sold print.
:iconimagesolutions2:
imagesolutions2 Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Well, not exactly impossible but you have to overcome a few obstacles. Many people believe that they can make the same photo with their phone as you are creating with your camera. Next, because we live in the digital age, people believe they can get off the net for free. Last, you have to create a product that is not easily replicated. You will likely have to sell in a different way than you are thinking. Selling photos is a good gig if you can breck into the gig.
:iconxcetera:
Xcetera Jan 11, 2013  Professional Photographer
Sure, you could... After years and years of commitment, practise, blood, sweat, and tears ;) Selling photography prints is difficult in the first place, and selling them when you're just starting, next to impossible. You have to be producing a truly amazing photo to make people want to buy it.
:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Jan 10, 2013  Professional Photographer
Because you just got a new camera does not make you a photographer in any way.
Making a living from photography is a very lucrative career path.

Before even starting as yourself if you work an compete with working professional's
If so then you need to think about how you are going to generate a need for people to have/want your photography.
I myself have not sold anything on deviant art, Very hard to sell photography to other photographers. You have to look at who you will be marketing to and how to attract them.

I would recommend taking a business course rather than a photography course if you intend to make a living.
hope this helps,

Michael R
:iconautor52:
Well, the sales can be unpopular because of the payment method, as I wrote before. Didn't try it myself as you know, also I don't know much about the famous artists, but I guess, regardless to the not many buyers it's worth a try.
Add a Comment: