Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
January 9, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 23

A Good Camera on a Budget? (or fix my terrible old one? whichever works)

:iconelyison:
elyison Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student General Artist
Okay, so I want a good quality camera that is handheld. I'm going to mainly be taking pictures of artwork, people, my cat, and figurines/dolls. I'd like for the camera to also be able to take nice motion pictures too (preferably without blur) but that's not my top priority. Most of the pictures will be taken inside. I'd like for it to be no more than $300 TOPS but more around $200?

The current camera I have is a Sony Cybershot DSC-W370. I....don't favor it to say the least. My problem is that it takes terrible grainy, blurry, and non professional pictures and whatever picture is mediocre takes to long to obtain (and is just not worth it). Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is it just better to get a new camera?

I'm kind of clueless to anything camera so any help would be really appreciated- thanks

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconchevyhax:
chevyhax Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i got just a eos 1000d ...it is low budged i know but with a good lens it works for me ... with a good lens it makes good photos ...but it is always not only the hardware that makes a good picture ... i also made some photos with my handy and got something I really like and i saw ppl with a 800 euro camera thinking the camera got to make it all for them ...including finding the right motive :D and theire pictures were ...mmmh ... letīs say i never understood why they made a poster from them
:icononeblacksheep:
oneblacksheep Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I got a Canon 40D for about $300 or $350 (CAD) with less than 2000 photos on it. :)
It may not be the best camera, but the expanded ISO setting on it makes it tolerable indoors.

I suggest looking at used cameras with low actuations. If you buy from a reputable seller like B&H or Henry's then you won't get gipped either.
:iconjazzdhami:
jazzdhami Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Nikon D5100 SLR is really very best for photography.
:iconelyison:
elyison Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student General Artist
Thanks for the awesome suggestions everyone!
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
"Fixing up" a big problem in a digital p&s camera, unless it is an extremely expensive one, is almost never going to be cost-effective, especially if it is a sensor issue. You'd almost certainly do better to get a new camera. $300 will buy you a nice Canon p&s and that is probably where you will find the best compromise of quality, durability, versatility, ease of use and reliability.
:iconsemioticphotography:
SemioticPhotography Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Photographer
I use the Nikon D3100 about $800
:iconjatomlinson:
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
I use a Canon SX40 HS. It's awesome and if you download some software onto an SD card it's every bit as good as a DSLR that can shoot RAW, have longer shutter speeds, etc.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Yes, the Canon Hack Development Kit, it's arguably better than the 10D in many ways, but the lack of proper manual focus can be a PITA in some instances. But, for $300 it's quite a bit of camera.
:iconjatomlinson:
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
Lack of manual focus? I have manual focus on every mode.
:iconhedwards:
hedwards Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
It's technically there, but it's pretty much completely worthless. Between the lack of responsiveness in the controls and the lack of precision, it's best to pretend like the camera doesn't have it at all. The CHDK doesn't change that at all.
Add a Comment: