Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

deviants with a lot of self-portraits in gallery

:iconeperlekvar:
eperlekvar Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
what do you think of them? do you find them as attention wh*res or what?
I think it depends of the quality of the pictures.. Once I found a good quote: it's not egoism, it's called portrait photography. Do you agree?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvalentinawhite:
ValentinaWhite Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Photographer
Oh, of course it depends on the pictures!
Not the number of those in the gallery, but the quality and concept, etc.
I mean, I discovered my favourite photographer thanks to her self-portraits (Lara Jade, :iconlarafairie:)!

If pictures are taken in the bathroom, with a mobile phone... well, that's really Facebookesque and I honestly don't like it, and this is a personal opinion, because today it has become quite a "standard"... maybe Mapplethorpe might have considered that kind of photography as an art xD (just kidding, hey.)
:iconjessicaann87:
JessicaAnn87 Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
yes, I must be an attention whore. I NEVER ever put any thought into my work, EVER.
:iconjemmastanley:
jemmastanley Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Photographer
I say take as many pictures of yourself as you like, but don't upload them here expecting anyone to take them seriously as photography.
:iconstay-sick:
stay-sick Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I concur; as far as I can make out, DeviantART is an art sharing website, not a social networking site. Where the self-potraits are of good quality, and are intended to relay some sort of message/tone, or the photographer has no-one else to pose for them then yes I think they're fine. But a you say, Facebook-esque uploading of webcam/smartphone photos en masse is highly irritating and is it the sort of photography that most deviants are interested in :P
:iconjemmastanley:
jemmastanley Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Photographer
There's nothing wrong with taking cheesy, often provocative pictures of yourself in the mirror - dA is just not the right place for it >.<
Yeah I absolutely agree :)
isn't*

sorry, shaky coffee hands >:(
:iconmaybe-paper-hearts:
maybe-paper-hearts Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Student Photographer
if it's just a 'self portrait' without any message and not very artistic looking, it can be a little bit ridiculous.But I use myself as model because I don't have anyone other who could pose for my shots. I'm always ready for photo's :D for myself. I don't have to look for poeple or pay etc.
:iconzeflyingmuppet:
ZeFlyingMuppet Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
If they look like a potato took the picture, then no.
If they look artistic and at least decent/awesome, then yes.
If they have so many self portraits that look amazing, they should seriously start a business or take pictures of other things if they don't already do.
If they have nothing else in their gallery but crappy pics of them, they need to learn tutorials, get some photo editing program to touch up lighting, get a better camera and be more artistic.
If they're a very pretty/handsome/attractive person or whatever, they should model for someone else, and not in front of their own camera.
I could go on but it depends on a lot of things.
:iconrockstarvanity:
RockstarVanity Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013   Photographer
*identity, not identify. I can almost type!
:iconrockstarvanity:
RockstarVanity Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013   Photographer
It doesn't matter to me who the person in the photo is. If I like the picture, I like the picture. The identify of the model is irrelevant :)
:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Even on this site there are a few photographers who specialize in self shooting and to me it is just as valid a subject as any.

If you happen to be good enough looking to be your own model then I think that great. As for me well I know what side of the lens I belong and I stay there :)

Unfortunately as FallisPhoto has said there are many people on here who look at this site as no more than Facebook and 90% of people who take photos on here could not take a decent photo of any thing at all let alone them selves .

most photos on this site are no more than snap shots with "self portraits in the mirror" being the worst photos of all
:iconwizardofunseen:
WizardOfUnseen Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I do to a certain extent I have seen some wonderful self portraits and I have seen random clicks of people. The reason I say extent is because someone who is really good usually has some other kinds of photos in their gallery. I am just going by what I have seen so far. I recently came across this account which had some really nice self portraits but the photographer never responds to any comments.That has a flavour of egoism in it.
:iconxfrozentearzx:
XFrozentearzX Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Wow im so glad im reading comments about the whole duck face, boobs out photos. To me its all very attention seeking, yet some people cant see they are worth more then that =)
:iconbi0terr0r:
BI0TERR0R Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I think the ones who post stuff from a webcam with no real thought to them, yeah, they seem like they're trying to get attention.
And then there are some who have nicer cameras but don't really put thought behind what they are shooting of themselves, and it's kinda..why waste the effort/money?
And then there's some who actually know what they are doing and make it look good.
:iconbeyondimpression:
beyondimpression Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Professional Photographer
I do a lot of self portraits.
To me, I feel that self portraits are very personal and makes the piece "yours". But if you did a piece with a model, the piece would not be just yours but the models too, a collaboration. With self portraits the piece is yours and you are the art you created. Like, you are apart of the art and you are the artist within your art.

When I worked with models, I found that models never did the pose I really needed them to do. They reacted to the props wrong and some just did not fit in to the composition really well. They do not vision the image the way I do and I do not blame them because I do weird stuff. So, I started doing self portraits and I know what poses I want and need and while doing these poses I can really feel the expression. My poses come from the heart, making the piece have more impact.

I do not feel that self portraits are attention whoring. I mean I feel everyone has a right for expression even if people want attention or not. Many artists can crave attention. We all seem to crave attention once in a while. But I mean, self portraits, portraits they are all apart of photography and VERY GOOD portraits vary on concept and etc since it is considered photography.
:iconmad-shrewd:
mad-shrewd Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
Indeed. As with all things it really depends on how you envision the image. I've found on the rare occasions where I'm taking pictures of people, that I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get. I'm always looking for those fleeting moments which show the essence of the person. And that's tough to do.

I'm not sure I could do the sort of portraiture you're talking about with the models. I just don't have the interest in it.

There's definitely good self portraits and bad self portraits. The good stuff can be mind blowing. I don't do any of myself, except on rare occasions. I'm much more likely to take a picture of my shadow or reflection with my face obscured. Camera Reversus Phobia is a very real condition that many photogs have.
:iconeclectic-fusion:
eclectic-fusion Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
I take a lot of self-portraits and do so for many reasons. I love self-portrait artists and the idea of taking images of the self. Self-representation ... self-fiction ... self-awareness ... all are things I love and things I find in self-portraiture, so it doesn't bother me whether someone creates work with similar art-educated motivations as Cindy Sherman or if someone takes completely nude, duck-face, f**k-me pics. They're all unique and I have great love for humans and encourage the creative act of self-exploration. (That doesn't mean I lack my own tastes in what I like to see. My favorite self-portraitists are people who are in the middle of expanding their creative talents and using themselves as subjects.) I think judging people negatively without knowing them is terrible. Assuming why someone is creatively motivated is a bad habit. And, judging people based on their sexual openness is an act that I loathe in my peers. I'm all for sexual and creative liberation. Plus, I'll forever doubt any human will be more of an "attention whore" than my cat, so I'll never worry again if someone is being an attention whore. What good is it think of someone as that, anyway?
:iconpookiem0n:
PookieM0N Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist
My gallary is pretty much portrait photography. But thats because I have no one else to take pictures of at 1 or 2am when I get a creative spark lol I hope I dont seem like an attention whore D:
:iconphotomark:
photomark Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Being an attention whore is a KEY ingredient to becoming a successful model and the more of an attention whore they are the easier it is to photograph them.

I have looked at your gallery several times in the past and I have always loved your self shooting.

If you did not say they where self shots I doubt any one would even know :)
PookieM0N Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Hobbyist
asdfghji Thank you!! :D
I do agree though, if a person is a camera whore they are a lot easier to photograph!
eperlekvar Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
you have really creative portraits :) that's absolutely not what I call attention whore.
PookieM0N Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist
Yay! :) Thank you very much <3
:icondeliquesce-flux:
Deliquesce-Flux Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Photographer
It depends on the kind of self portraits. Myspace/social network-esque images do not interest me in the slightest. Self portraiture that is done in a fine arts way is stunning. *ValentinaKallias is one of my favorite self portrait photographers. :)
:iconsarracarol:
sarracarol Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Photographer
I completely agree. If your 'art' is snapshots of yourself in a bathroom mirror or being a sl*t, then yeah, you're doing it for attention. There's no art in a duck face...

But there are some incredible self portrait artists that yeah, like the attention, but aren't wh*res about it.
erotic self portraits are seen as slutty, but I beg to differ.
eperlekvar Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
oh yes, I love her too! She makes perfect self portraits!
:icondeliquesce-flux:
Deliquesce-Flux Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Photographer
I agree! :)
:iconrocklou:
RockLou Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconattentionwhoreplz:

And that's all I have to say about that.
eperlekvar Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
she already deactivated herself.. :( but yeah she was an a.w. ...
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
One name springs to mind when discussing self-portraits in any context not just DA, Cindy Sherman.

While they are not basic self-portraits, more like cosplay before that became so popular and some say she was definitely not self-portraiting, what else can you call someone who takes pictures of themselves? Would you call one of the more respected photographers from the late 20th Century, attention seeking?
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
There are both types here, of course. There used to be a photographer here who went by the name of fidget who was unbelievably good and who did a lot of self-portraits; then you have some others who have almost no talent (and don't pretend to) posting bad photos of themselves. You see, hard as it is to believe, some people treat DA as an extension of Facebook; others are serious about photography as an art.
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Photographer
Like everyone said, it depends on the quality and the piece.
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Professional Photographer
If it's just your usual dutch angle, duck faced, half naked reflection of you in the crapper, it's attention whoring.

However, if there's some thought put behind it, then it's just another portrait, and could actually be a very artistic one, even your best work. There are many benefits for using yourself as the model, first, you're always free when you're in the mood for shooting, second, you can play your favorite songs while shooting, third, it's free, and let's face it, photographers aren't exactly the richest of people, so if it's not a paid shoot, it's money out of your pocket, money that you sometimes can't afford to part with (paying rent, food, bills...), fourth, sometimes you really are the best model for the job, it might be your looks, or it might be a skill only you can do (like meditating...never found a model that could actually get into meditation deeply, and it never looked right in photos, so I ended up using myself, and loved it).
:iconspc1over69:
spc1over69 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I love seeing how others view themselves from a public and private perspective. I say keep it going and let haters hate and lovers love
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Well I know what I think if all of the pictures are blurry, taken with a camera phone and prominently feature a pout and an exposed bra...

But it is probably unfair to lump all proponents of the sub-medium into the same category.
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
"Well I know what I think if all of the pictures are blurry, taken with a camera phone and prominently feature a pout and an exposed bra..."

had to save that to my quote book. I absolutely found it so funny. It said a lot about what you think without you actually saying what you think.
:iconheavenhairsixes:
HeavenhairSixes Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Some things are best left unsaid...
:iconalittlebitdreamer:
Alittlebitdreamer Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Maybe sometimes is a good option to take a picture without any problem. This model is everywhere where i am and is free ;)
eperlekvar Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
so true.. :)
:iconalittlebitdreamer:
Alittlebitdreamer Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
:heart:
:iconmidnight-vanguard:
Midnight-Vanguard Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Depends on how many pictures you see of them,, (or that they take) for no reason other than to be seen.
not really, there may be many because they are self portrait artists. That is an art in its self.
:iconmidnight-vanguard:
Midnight-Vanguard Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
true
:iconkippa2001:
kippa2001 Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
It depends. Some have no artistic value and it is just an ego trip, others have a lot of talent.

Take Cristina Otero : [link]

She does self portraits and is extremely artistic.
Add a Comment: