Closed to new replies
January 8, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 45

deviants with a lot of self-portraits in gallery

:iconeperlekvar:
eperlekvar Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
what do you think of them? do you find them as attention wh*res or what?
I think it depends of the quality of the pictures.. Once I found a good quote: it's not egoism, it's called portrait photography. Do you agree?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconvalentinawhite:
ValentinaWhite Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Student Photographer
Oh, of course it depends on the pictures!
Not the number of those in the gallery, but the quality and concept, etc.
I mean, I discovered my favourite photographer thanks to her self-portraits (Lara Jade, :iconlarafairie:)!

If pictures are taken in the bathroom, with a mobile phone... well, that's really Facebookesque and I honestly don't like it, and this is a personal opinion, because today it has become quite a "standard"... maybe Mapplethorpe might have considered that kind of photography as an art xD (just kidding, hey.)
:iconjessicaann87:
JessicaAnn87 Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
yes, I must be an attention whore. I NEVER ever put any thought into my work, EVER.
:iconjemmastanley:
jemmastanley Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Photographer
I say take as many pictures of yourself as you like, but don't upload them here expecting anyone to take them seriously as photography.
:iconstay-sick:
stay-sick Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I concur; as far as I can make out, DeviantART is an art sharing website, not a social networking site. Where the self-potraits are of good quality, and are intended to relay some sort of message/tone, or the photographer has no-one else to pose for them then yes I think they're fine. But a you say, Facebook-esque uploading of webcam/smartphone photos en masse is highly irritating and is it the sort of photography that most deviants are interested in :P
:iconjemmastanley:
jemmastanley Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Professional Photographer
There's nothing wrong with taking cheesy, often provocative pictures of yourself in the mirror - dA is just not the right place for it >.<
Yeah I absolutely agree :)
isn't*

sorry, shaky coffee hands >:(
:iconmaybe-paper-hearts:
maybe-paper-hearts Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013
if it's just a 'self portrait' without any message and not very artistic looking, it can be a little bit ridiculous.But I use myself as model because I don't have anyone other who could pose for my shots. I'm always ready for photo's :D for myself. I don't have to look for poeple or pay etc.
:iconzeflyingmuppet:
ZeFlyingMuppet Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Hobbyist Filmographer
If they look like a potato took the picture, then no.
If they look artistic and at least decent/awesome, then yes.
If they have so many self portraits that look amazing, they should seriously start a business or take pictures of other things if they don't already do.
If they have nothing else in their gallery but crappy pics of them, they need to learn tutorials, get some photo editing program to touch up lighting, get a better camera and be more artistic.
If they're a very pretty/handsome/attractive person or whatever, they should model for someone else, and not in front of their own camera.
I could go on but it depends on a lot of things.
:iconrockstarvanity:
RockstarVanity Featured By Owner Jan 22, 2013  Professional Photographer
*identity, not identify. I can almost type!
Add a Comment: