Details

Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 5

How can I photograph inanimate objects?

:iconritsu--chan:
Well I recently started needle felting and I want to take good pictures of my work, but I just don't know how. A friend also told me she wanted to star selling clothing on facebook but she didn't know how to take pictures without a model.

I told her usual, have a good lighting, contrasting background yet still know too busy and if you can, good support for the camera like a tripod or something quite like.

I know a few things about photography, it's part of my career but I've also had photo cameras around me since I was born. So I think, what I need is not that technical, is more like "tips" to photograph inanimate objects, both very tiny and big stuff.

If you know some users, tutorials around dA or just some things that work for your selves, share them here!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsarracarol:
sarracarol Jan 11, 2013  Professional Photographer
2-4 $6.00 hardware clamping lamps with 100Watt pure white light bulbs for your friend, some freezer paper for light diffusion if needed, and if she can't find a friend to model then she should really be focusing on life before business. It doesn't take modeling experience to sell homemade clothing - that coming from a model photographer.

For you, look up still life photography, there's really no specifics that we can give you for every case if you don't want technical stuff. Still life is no different from any other kind of photography, except you move it yourself instead of directing it to move.
:iconslinkyjynx:
So many options, and it depends how much money and space you have to play with:

Lots of space and money: Mannequin, White Background, Two lights Total is less than 300

Small budget and little space: Light tent + Flash for less than 100

In both cases, ebay is your friend, if you can find used stuff, so much the better!
:iconshurakai-stock:
Shurakai-Stock Jan 8, 2013  Professional Photographer
If your friend prefers to showcase her clothing on-figure but can’t afford a model, suggest she look into buying an inexpensive judy and posing that instead.

Alternatives to on-figure clothing include stacking and piling pieces in artful ways, either against a simple backdrop or in a conceptually relevant environment (heavy woolen sweaters might look good stacked up outdoors in the snow on a sunny winter morning, for instance, with a pile of firewood and a hatchet carefully placed nearby). For small things, you can try either photographing them in a light-tent or on a copy table, or in situ. Think about propping and styling: even small things don’t necessarily have to be photographed flat, or with flat light. As with all photography, think about the order of importance of the elements. Lead the viewer’s eye toward the product, and eliminate anything that might be distracting. That may mean moving things out of frame, altering the angle of light, altering the angle of your camera, adjusting depth of field to isolate the product from its surroundings, and choosing an appropriate lens length.
:iconfallisphoto:
This is a copy table: [link] There are two lights on either side, on those pivoting arms, and the camera attaches to the post in the middle. It is what professionals who have a lot of money would use to take photos of your work. If you are not one of those guys, with more money than sense, just set up the lights that you do have on either side, like on the table and stand between them to take the photo. Adjust the lights by moving them to either side until you get the least amount of reflections possible.
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Jan 7, 2013  Student Photographer
Cheapest way would be getting a light tent from eBay.
Add a Comment: