Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Internship Questions?

:iconhaupia:
Haupia Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Student Photographer
Has ever interned or worked as a second shooter for a photographer? What are your suggestions as to become an intern? Would it be alright, in some instances, to ask casually, or would it be better to build a resume and your portfolio for them to look at? Or otherwise?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsvenler:
Svenler Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Photographer
I get requests all the time from people who want to intern with me. There are a few things I look at when I get an application. Each successive step is an exclusion argument, meaning if it's missing or lacking, I won't go to the next step.

1) Am I properly addressed? I.e. does the email start with addressing me personally or is it a generic email.
2) Is the email written in proper English? I don't deal with people who can't form coherent sentences or use idiot talk such as "u" instead of "you".
3) Does the email clearly state the intent? I received an email a few weeks ago, where the person asked me if I was looking for fresh meat. If I want fresh meat, I go to the butcher.
4) Is there a link to a portfolio and if not, is there an explanation why not.
5) Is the portfolio any good? Does the person know about light placement, exposure, composition, etc.

Cheers,

Sven
:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Professional Photographer
I’ve done second-shooter duty a couple of times for weddings. Hated it both times, and I’d never do it again, but that’s more to do with my aversion to being a wedding photographer than a backup photographer. I find that browsing Craigslist will often turn up a few potential opportunities a month, but most of them ask to see a portfolio – they want to know that you have at least some experience doing this before they trust you to fly on your own. You may be better off approaching a photographer to be an assistant instead. The expectations on you will be much lower (after all, most of what you’ll be doing as an assistant is just lugging gear around) and you’ll still get to learn a few things while getting paid.
Haupia Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student Photographer
I should definitely keep up with Craiglist but I feel a little off every now and again with Craiglist (in general).

What if you know them or they know of your work? Would you suggest still showing your portfolio to them?

I'm thinking of doing that. Thanks!
:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Professional Photographer
If you know them, and they’ve seen some of your past work, then I would only show them new work that they haven’t seen before. How often do you update your portfolio?
:iconericad218:
EricaD218 Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Student Photographer
I too have been looking into this._.
Haupia Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Photographer
Glad to hear that I'm not alone!
EricaD218 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Photographer
I finally got an email back from one of the little studios in target._. After about three weeks
Haupia Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Photographer
That's good, I hope! Was it good news?
EricaD218 Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Student Photographer
Well...they told me I would need to talk to my store portrait manager. They didn't give me any information to get in touch with him/her so I guess I have to look all of that up. As of right now I'm not even sure if mine offers internships
Haupia Featured By Owner Jan 30, 2013  Student Photographer
So how has it gone now? If they didn't accept you, their loss and that sounds rather unprofessional of them?
Add a Comment: