January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

Photography Prints

:iconvampire567:
vampire567 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Hey guys!

I have a print for sale, and I would really appreciate it if you guys would go buy it! I know it sounds desperate but I am in need for some money. I will be putting more prints up that I would love for you guys to look at. Please help me out! Just look under my profile and go to prints and it is a beautiful picture of a cherry blossom tree. If you tell me that you bought one, I will go and favorite/comment on your artwork and watch you! Thank you all so much.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmichaelrowlandson:
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Photographer
Bwahahaha its like me saying.. I have been published in National Geographic pay me for each image viewing... It is not going to happen...
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
No offense but you have a lot of practicing to do before you really can expect to sell prints. Take a look at the popular landscape photos on 500px right now: ([link]), look at how high their quality is in comparison. And remember, even THOSE will struggle to sell as prints. Selling landscape prints online is probably the most crowded market in photography with some of the stiffest competition. If you are after a quick way to make a buck with your camera your best bet is to do something in your local market (although you will probably earn more per hour flipping burgers, starting photo businesses tend not to make a lot ;) ), competing online means you are up against MILLIONS of people, many with larger catalogues and more experience than you.
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Photographer
but it can be done with the right amount of passion and the right attitude :D.
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Ha true, although I would probably say that "marketing skill" and "luck" play a bigger role than passion.
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Photographer
haha yeah, but if your driven enough by passion you will get better at marketing yourself and I don't believe in luck :D. You create your own luck.
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
To a degree but there are only finite amount of hours in the day, if you focus too hard on marketing you stop being a photographer and start being an advertiser. (Which from a business sense is actually better, just look at how successful Scott Bourne is. But not sure I'd be interested in half-assing photography so I can focus on advertising)

And luck plays a HUGE role in our society. Where the skill lies is being able to take advantage of that luck and make it pay off. There is so much driven around random chance that it is impossible to avoid (unless of course you think it is skill that a baby is born into wealth or not).

Or look at Peter Lik. Is the guy an amazing photographer? Absolutely. Is his work miles beyond any other living photographer as it's selling value suggests? Probably not. So why can he charge hundreds of thousands for a single print? Because early in his career a well placed celebrity (I think it was George Bush Sr, but can't remember for sure) saw one of his photos at random and decided to become a collector. This started a chain reaction that led to many other deep pocket celebs taking notice of his work and as a result Peter went from being struggling artist to one of the world's wealthiest photographers.

Peter was skilled enough to have world calibre work but got lucky that the "right" person happened to stumble upon that work which allowed him to propel himself far beyond his peers. Success in business in almost all cases is about being proficient enough to get lucky and also clever enough to take advantage of that luck when it comes along.

Also along another note I challenge you to give me an example of a landscape photographer who is vastly successful from online print sales through a third party service like DA. ;) Not sure if that exists. Just not possible to sell enough prints at between $0.20 and $2 profit to be able to. To be as lucrative as Peter Lik via DA you would have to sell 100,000+ prints to every one he sells.
MichaelRowlandson Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Photographer
you will never make a single cent through deviantart, This is where marketing comes into play. You have to create the need for your photography and images. The only thing you might be able to get is notoriety something you have to build up as a photographer to even breach the market. This can be done by entering competitions and winning, or getting your images bought by editors, I would start with the competitions. Dont even think about contacting editors with no notoriety but all in all you need the skill and quality of work to compete with other photographers. If you have enough passion you will push yourself to compete and get better results than the competition. All in all photography requires a lot of patience. Nature and fine art photography more so than the other branches.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Post, not pose.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
My advice to you would be to pose this nearly anywhere but here. Trying to get a bunch of photographers to buy a photograph is a lost cause. We have our own cameras and can take our own photos.
:iconsecondclaw:
secondclaw Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
That isn't necessarily true. I am a photographer and do buy other people's photos - but it has to be in subject area I don't practice in. Just because I have a camera doesn't mean I have an opportunity to take a great photo worthy hanging on a wall.

In case of the OP though, the photos need a lot more work before anyone would consider decorating with them.
Add a Comment: