January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 71

gig photography gear?

:iconorangefruits:
orangefruits Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Hi

I am curious as to what people generally use for gig photography.

I use Canon full frame with a 17-40mm f/4 and 50mm f/1.4 which actually work really well in low light, I'm surprised by how much light I get through on the 17-40mm.

Anyway my main query is, I am looking at a tighter focal length, maybe around 85mm, what would you guys recommend around this focal length for gig photography. It doesn't have to be a prime.

Thanks in advance.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblackpoppies:
blackpoppies Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
One of my all-time favourite photos that I've taken is a gig photo;

That was taken with my Nikon D3100 and a 70-300 lens. It's my favourite lens to use, but I bring a couple of others with me to gigs plus a flashgun because I vary what I use based on lighting.
:iconxyloz:
xyloz Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
18-135mm lens reduced need to chop and change lens

[link]

Works fine for me.
:iconorangefruits:
orangefruits Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Yes that is always the bonus of a nice zoom lens, although I do really like prime lenses and having to get that little bit closer. But I am thinking of the 70-200mm because I'm not going to get permission to go on stage at all the gigs I do.
xyloz Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
70 to 200?

I have moved up from 18-55 to 18-135 and this is the goal.

18-200 This is the lens I am gunning for, buy this it will set you straight for damn near every range.
11x Zoom is monstrous at f-3.5-5.6!
[link]

Once this bad boy is in my kit I am going to sell my 55-250mm, and my 18-135mm and it will have been paid for. No need to ever change lenses at all really, the only thing after that is primes for speed through the incremental ranges of 18mm, 50mm, 85mm.

I prefer up scaling from the kit lens because it tests your skills, makes you utilise what you have and appreciate the limits of the kit a lot more. Once I upgraded to the 135mm I got a lot of mileage from the wide angle and when I needed up close and personal I had it right there, the F-number was the same on base but better through the 55mm milestone.
So I sold my Kit Lens whats the point in having an inferior limited slower version?
This 18-200mm lens is the next and last step, same F-number on base, but as it rises through the 55mm and 135mm thresholds the f-number is actually better than that of the previous lenses.
Making it comparable to the 55-250mm I own and because of the versatility the extra zoom isn't worth keeping it.

So I am selling both. Again so I can really take the sting off the retail price off my 18-200mm, by just selling the out moded lenses, I still used those out modes, In fact I really got the most out of them.
Good old Bowling For Soup xD
[link]

But since writing this I realise it's time to upgrade so I ordered it today just now xD Going to trade in when I receive it in the mail XD
On sale my lenses should make this new lens cost me about £50-100 in trade and I got 7 year warrenty.
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
18-200 This is the lens I am gunning for, buy this it will set you straight for damn near every range.

I don't see why you're so excited about that lens. It'll switch to f/5.6 at about 50mm~ which is awful. You're going to lose an aful lot of light when it gets to f/5.6, especially at 200 and for the dark indoor environments! You'd need to start bumping up the ISO big time, and would therefore need a good body to handle the noise its going to create.
xyloz Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Well it's never an issue because I always bring lights xD

Never gone to a job under-prepared in my life The idea was to consolidate my 18-135 and 55-250 together sure there is a loss in range but I don't have to switch lenses on the fly. As a gig tog that's a big deal means I can roam about more.

I always make sure a stage is well light!

Never needed a fast lens, I am too involved with the job to afford it to break, I have had more awkward shots of bands balancing on one leg on a balcony or couching precariously near the edge of a stage to get a good live view angle with my 60D to want to risk the "2 grand drop of doom." I would rather mitigate the claim if anything.

Plus insurance would eat my ass if I claimed for a few grand lol, but yeah I like the versatility and the fact I dun need to expose my camera body to the smoke and crap as much :P

Genuinely excited. Bought an IF filter for it and a reverse dock can't wait to see the macro zoom on this thing the 18-135 Has a monstrous macro zoom.
I was going to ask if you shoot, full frame, then you stated you shoot with a 60D so that answers my question lol. You'd a little more more mileage at the mid-wide range in terms of focal length if you were shooting FF and had a 70-200, that's why I'd always go with two f/2.8's (24-70 and 70-200) but I'm more of a nature & landscape person.

At the moment though, I do have an 18-55 and a 55-200. Only time I really wanted to consolidate those into one was when I was going around taking urban pics in San Francisco. So annoying continually swapping, so I can see why if you're being paid you'd want to get the shot without taking your eye off what's going on. I'd still rather have more light though, and just take a second body.
xyloz Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
Portable lighting kit, plonk it down light it up take like 5 minutes and better than burning your battery on flashing or using a speed light, looks more natural, can drop ISO down to a studio lighting level.

:P
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Student Photographer
f/5.6 on a 200mm end simply won't cut it for concerts, it's just not possible, unless you can somehow manipulate the laws of physics.
Even f/4 at 200mm is stretching it, with having to use ISO 25k just to get a barely enough shutter speed to not get blurry images.
I've seen good pics taken from a 5D Mark II at 3200 with 1/400 sec shutter and f/5.6 lol
Add a Comment: