Closed to new replies
January 5, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

most well known photographer on Deviantart

:iconzukesangue:
ZukeSangue Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Photographer
Who do you think Is one of the most Well known Photographer on ~iART???

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfred93:
Fred93 Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
[link]

A great nude photographer....
:iconhergashididslash:
HerGashiDidSlash Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Photographer
zemotion :3
:iconmeganmissfit:
MeganMissfit Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Digital Artist
:iconrcooper102:
rcooper102 Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
The world's most famous DA photographer is like being the world's tallest midget. Kinda a meaningless distinction. Fame on DA is more about how well you network than how good of an artist you are. I have seen many mind bogglingly great photographers go virtually unnoticed on here while others that post snapshots of half naked or naked girls rack up millions of views.
:iconzukesangue:
ZukeSangue Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Photographer
True but also I've seem amazing photographers who have spent years upon years attaining a million+ views and who's art is amazing
of course, I was merely pointing out that fame on DA doesn't mean much. There are famous great artist and there are great artists with no fame. Fame doesn't seem to be attracted to talent unless that talented person also has significant networking skill.

Furthermore one of the biggest things that launches people to fame is being named as a Daily Deviation which requires a certain degree of skill but really the core of it comes from having people suggesting you be a DD which again requires networking skill primarily.

But I would say as a whole don't worry much about fame on DA, it generally doesn't translate to anything outside of the community unless you are ALSO an amazing artist. It is like FB friends, I know lots of people who covet their friends list of thousands, but at the same time, they don't really have thousands of friends. They are just good at attracting people on that medium.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
"Furthermore one of the biggest things that launches people to fame is being named as a Daily Deviation"

Only if you manage to capitalize on it. I've had 3 DDs in the last 2 years but being a lazy sod I never capitilized on them and consequently I'm lucky if I hit 100 views on any image I upload. No biggy to me as I practically know who those 100 viewers are by name, LOL!

To emphasize :iconrcooper102: point, fame on DA is not really worth much outside DA circles. One person can be stunningly well known on DA but unknown on Flickr, I don't think it's got anything to do with talent so much as to do with your ability to network and invest the time in your chosen social network site. The same token there are a lot of well know people on DA that hardly put anything of any note for viewing but work tirelessly to promote other's work more than anything else. To push it up one more notch, fame on any single social network site is not really worth that much in the long term, being well known in the art circles you wish to be known is surely a more worthy goal?
Of course, but I think comparing our two accounts is still a pretty good tool to show how greater networking can increase your popularity..

I have been on DA for 4 years mostly as a way to just see the work of others and to engage in the forums. I have 70 Deviations total but have only made 181 comments. Through this I have earned 4,680 views. Conversely you have been on DA for 3 years and have a very similar number of deviations (62), however you have heavily engaged in the community with 4,187 comments, as a result of this community engagement your account boasts almost 30,000 pageviews.

Given how different our work is it is impossible to realistically evaluate who is in "theory" the better photographer nor do I have any interest in doing so but I think it is pretty safe to say that we both are competent and experienced in our art form. Thus really the main difference between us is that you have employed more effort (and skill) in engaging the networking aspect of deviant art which in turn led to about 90% more "fame". (and 3 DDs)

But importantly, as you mentioned fame on DA isn't really worth much outside DA. Especially if you look at your artistic career in a business sense. For the most part DA users are NOT potential customers. They are at a very distant level your competition. Thus being famous among them really offers no gain other than "feeling good" that you are well known. While it is possible to monetize this fame through the creation of education products you likely will never be able to leverage it in order to actually make your art the product itself.

And as you mentioned there are many accounts on DA which I have noticed really put no effort into their art, they might have a few doodles that look like scribbles or some random self portrait snapshots in the mirror but they have tens of thousands of comments made and furiously play the networking game. These individuals can often have soaringly high page view counts despite having functionally no art to even offer a viewer.

As whole the best advice I can offer everyone is to just focus on your art. Engage in the community in the way that interests you. And don't fret about fame or popularity, that energy is much better spent on furthering your passion which is the art itself.
:icondelahkel:
Delahkel Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student Photographer
Don't know, don't really care either.
Fame, especially on dA means very little. Most famous people here are either doing female nudes or cosplays, neither of which interest me that much as photography subjects.
There are, however, some decent photographers I follow in subjects that interest me, as well as some photography groups.
:iconxcetera:
Xcetera Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Professional Photographer
I don't know about that, `zemotion is pretty significantly famous in and out of DA, as is Felicia Simon.
Add a Comment: