Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 41

New to photography! ^^

:iconfizz-fotos:
Fizz-Fotos Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
New to photography sort of.. I'm only doing it for fun, and have only 1 picture up at the moment, but maybe I'd like to go somewhere with it after all, I love taking photos of everything and every thing!

Technically I have 2 pictures up, but one of them was a sort of test and is no good..

Could some people please check out my profile, give me handy tips and advice etc? <3

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpinoycybershop:
pinoycybershop Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013
very informative. www.pinoycybershop.com
:iconalbertcotter:
AlbertCotter Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I'm also new to photography.

I was telling in other thread that my friend's photography inspired my a lot and pushed me in this field to make my mind busy in free time.

I have also done some painting work, but won't upload it here unless and until I check it with my friend who is quite expert at it. Lets see what he has to say about it. I'm hoping for positive comments from him :)

[link]
:iconraining-insanity:
Raining-Insanity Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Not bad. I like the star lamp thingy. Although you could have boost up contrast a little on it.
Maaaaaaassive number of tutorials are on the internet. But first you have to get to know your camera and how it works.
After that try Digital Photography School site and forums: [link] , [link] .
:iconalana-lyn:
Alana-Lyn Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I am actually not a good photographer, having only just started learning the basics recently, but I recommend looking up the rules like "mergers" and the different perspectives.
:iconalana-lyn:
Alana-Lyn Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Also remember to not cut off body parts if you're taking full body images. If you're taking a partial body shot make sure cut offs look intentional.
:icontuftedpuffin:
tuftedpuffin Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Let me guess: you bought a camera and figure that automatically makes you a photograher? Good luck.
:iconlaciemelhart:
LacieMelhart Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Photographer
We all started somewhere, cool your jets Sparky.
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013
Actually, it does. Buying a camera and using it does make her a photographer, at least technically. It just doesn't make her a good photographer or a professional photographer.
Fizz-Fotos Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
What? Aha no of course not! I wouldn't consider myself a photographer until I was good enough to make money and a living off my photos alone~
:iconsecondclaw:
secondclaw Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
I don't think that's what defines a photographer. I know a few that are very good but will probably not be able to make money off it. As the time of film cameras waned and digital cameras exploded, photography became more accessible to people, and the art became more of a commodity (at least in people's perceptions). You can no longer just be good, you have to be amazing (and lucky) to make it in the industry. A photographer is an artist, not an entrepreneur - though it is possible for the two to become one. I consider myself an OK photographer, at least in my subject area - and have not made a cent off the photos in the 15 years I've been doing it as a hobby. It allows me freedom to explore the art without pressure of commissions and deliverable.

Previous poster was right - technically anyone with a camera is a photographer. A good photographer, however, is an artist, not a technician.
:iconfarorephotography:
FarorePhotography Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Welcome to photography; it is so much fun once you get into it! I have only been doing photography as a hobby for about a year now. I'm not really "seasoned" enough to give any real advice other than don't give up and keep trying different things. Everyone has a style that they shoot in and not everyone always likes it. Make sure that you continue on for you and just have fun with it. If you have an specific questions feel free to ask and I can help you the best I can or at least help you search for an answer.
Thank you very much for the introduction ^^ <3
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
I can critique your photo (and I did), but nobody can spot bad habits, or trends that may cause problems, and give you advice on how to correct them by looking at one photo.
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
Put up a dozen photos, trying to make them good ones. Looking at those, we can tell what you need to work on, what's wrong, and so on, but nobody can tell you what you need to do based on two photos, one of which doesn't count.
Thank you, and yes, I know, this was more of an introduction of myself^^
I'll be able to ask for more specific advice after I've put up lots more photos! ^^
:iconkingstephenarthur:
KingStephenArthur Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Student Photographer
just have fun. experience is the best teacher.
Thanks ^^
:iconorwellisms:
Orwellisms Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
Welcome to photography! :D

Now, I'm not an expert myself in ANYWAY, but I do have one tip for you, based on your "Time Ticks On" Photo <3

Now, don't take this wrong or anything, because it's really a lovely picture :) But don't make every single picture you take have dark outline, and a single subject. A lot of photographers get "stuck" in one picture mode, myself included. :p I have so many pictures in my gallery of just one person, staring straight at the camera. Sure, it's pretty, it's nice, but it only really should work once.

You can talk forever and ever about lighting and the color palette, but the main thing you need to remember is that your pictures should look different each time! :)
Thank you and I appreciate the advice and you taking your time to help me!! ^^

And I wouldn't stick to the same type all of the time, I just thought the clock looked quite rustic and mysterious and that sort of colour and lighting scheme would work best for it, to add a more distinct effect ^^ <3
Sure thing! I've actually been looking for another beginner to learn with someone... Wanna be photography buddies? xD

It really looks cool!
Yeah that sounds awesome!! *Epic high five*
Heehee ^_^
You're my new best friend, okay? ;P
Sounds good xD So what kind of photography do you like?
I love taking pictures of the outdoors and the sea!!

I live in a coastal, tourist area and it's beautiful, I'm surrounded by beaches within minutes drive-aways and have a coastal path and a harbour on my door step^^

But I'm recently starting to take an interest in still life:3

And you?
(1 Reply)
:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Photographer
It’s hard to gauge what to tell you based on two photos. I’m assuming the shot of the clock face is the one you think of as good, rather than the shot of the bottles. Aesthetic and technical issues aside, I would actually say there’s more promise in the shot of the bottles than the clock face, simply because it shows you taking a chance and not going for obvious visual clichés.

So my first question for you is this: what sort of photographs interest you, and what do you aspire to create?

Regardless of where you ultimately want to end up, the first principles still apply: learn the exposure trifecta (shutter speed, aperture and ISO sensitivity), understand how light works, and school yourself in the basics of design and colour theory. If you have a more specific question, feel free to post it here and we’ll do our best to answer it.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question and to offer me some advice! ^^

You really think so about the bottles? I guess I understand your theory and I should experiment with lots of different techniques, maybe a more Raw type of photo would work best^^

Thanks again :]
:iconstevecaissie-stock:
SteveCaissie-stock Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Professional Photographer
Give this a try: go to a book store and ask them to point you to the art section. Look for books about famous painters from the past. Start with the Italian Renaissance, then have a look through the Dutch masters. Don’t spend too much time reading the words, just look at the paintings. Look at the way they created the illusion of sunlight, candle light, and all of the shadows, using nothing but oil and pigments. Then squint your eyes until everything is blurry and look at the paintings again. Look at how there are distinct areas of certain colours. Look at the shapes of those areas, and their relative sizes, and the way they are arranged. See if you can start to recognize patterns from one painting to the next. Look at landscape paintings as well as portraits.

Now skip to the early 20th-century American painters, especially the ones who went west to the American frontier. Compare their choice of subject matter with the earlier works. Look at paintings done during the Roaring Twenties, then look at paintings done in the midst of the Great Depression. Compare their choices of colour, shape, proportion and scale with the older ones. What’s different? What’s not?

Spend a day with all that art, let it soak into you. Buy a few postcards of your favourite paintings if you can afford to, and keep them. All art is about inspiration, interpretation, seeing, feeling and making other people see and feel as well. Photography is no exception.

Start there, and when you’re ready to ask the “how” questions, we’ll talk about the technical aspects.
:iconvaldna:
valdna Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
And do it over and over and over again :)
Add a Comment: