Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 106

Project 365 - Anyone Participating?

:iconjatomlinson:
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Is anyone participating in project 365 this year? I thought we could post our daily 365 photos here. Anyone interested? If so use thumb codes only.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpandagirl1029:
Pandagirl1029 Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Not really a 365 photo but I thought I'd share anyways,
:iconellerochelle:
ElleRochelle Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013   Writer
I'm doing mine through Instagram. I started doing one on FB last year but I gave up because it was getting too complicated to move the pics to the right folder. Instagram is much easier so that's what I'm doing this year :D
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013
Awesome. I don't have any issues with FB but I'm also posting a few of my 365 photos in my gallery here.
:iconellerochelle:
ElleRochelle Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013   Writer
My problem was that I took most of the pictures on my phone so they would upload to the Mobile Photos album and I'd have to move them to my 365 album and I would often forget to take one too. I just gave up but hopefully I'll keep on it this time :)
:icongerald-bostock:
Gerald-Bostock Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
im almost done with my year, didn't even know anyone else was doing this, ill miss it when Feb 20 arrives
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
You can always start over :)
:icongerald-bostock:
Gerald-Bostock Featured By Owner Jan 26, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i think I'll do it for a 1000 days, good number. i must say its not easy some days i just don't feel like messing with it, yet its those days when i do a really good photo (subjective)
:iconericad218:
EricaD218 Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013  Student Photographer
Where can I obtain the list of these?
I've been looking for something like this, but honestly, I think I would choose one to do once a week or once a month.
:icontamarviewstudio:
TamarViewStudio Featured By Owner Jan 21, 2013   Photographer
I gave it a go last year but failed just after the halfway point. To do something like this ist's good to have the time to actually set up photos or go out with a plan. A few people I know are doing it this year and it seems that most of the time they are just churning out photos for the sake of completing the 365 without much thought or consideration going into their images. That was the problem I had. It might be good for motivation but it's not worth it if you're just going to produce shody images that aren't up to your normal standards.

I'm going for the much simpler 52 photos :) It gives me time to think about what I want from that week and most of the photos will hopefully be a plus for my porfolio because they'll be worth taking.
:iconmunkii-girl:
Munkii-Girl Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
I'm doing one. Some of the photos I'm churning are bad, but I like being forced to take a picture every day. It's only 20 days in and I'm already taking self portraits - I hate taking photos of myself! I like how it's pushing me outside my comfort zone. So even though some of the pictures are absolute crap, I feel I'll be a better photographer in the end. Also, the failed photos often give me ideas of photos I wanna take when I'm better at it, or have a model, etc.
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 19, 2013
Failed photos will also give you the chance to see what you did wrong so you know what not to do next time. Its definitely a learning experience.
:icondaphneng:
DaphneNg Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013   Photographer
I am! And currently I'm loving every day of it, I just get so inspired by a simple frame in the house, I look at things and ideas start forming in my mind, it's certainly very stimulating for my brain. Since I was on a long uninspired photo hiatus the whole last year, this constant drive to get a pic everyday is really appreciated. The whole folder is here: [link]
This was today's:
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 18, 2013
Very nice!
:iconravyns-photography:
Ravyns-Photography Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Professional Photographer
I attempted it, and when I got to about a week or two in, I asked myself, "Do I really want to do this?" or would I rather shoot less often and produce planned, better quality results than what I was producing for 365. I'm doing a planned work (and by plan, I mean thoroughly plan) a piece for each month, rather than each day.

Don't get me wrong. If you've got the ambition to do it, and succeed, props to you. I work better personally, when I plan out what I want to shoot.
:icongemmadawn:
gemmadawn Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Student Photographer
I am doing the 365 photo project and there is a group dedicated to it: [link]
which i have been posting in :) it would be wonderful for more 365 artists to post there so we can all share this years journey together.
:iconyangosplat:
yangosplat Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm posting mine in this folder.

As for what people have said about it taking away from the shooting process - I like the idea, because it kind of forces me to get up and shoot. I wouldn't do this every year, but part of this was motivated by how I've been with my photography the last few months; I've been somewhat busy, and so even when I did have time it just felt like "meh, I don't feel like shooting today," and that kind of dragged on for a few months. So doing a 365 Project isn't the best way to use my creativity, but it's the best I can do.
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
It makes me get up and take photos each day too, and not just of things around my house... we go out and look for the perfect thing to shoot for our photo of the day. Granted, we don't always find that perfect subject, but it does make me do several things:
1) Shoot each day
2) Learn new techniques
3) Practice
4) More carefully evaluate and consider my subjects and composition
:iconyangosplat:
yangosplat Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I feel exactly the same way :)
:iconsmilejustbcuz:
smilejustbcuz Featured By Owner Jan 14, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm doing a 365! I started on the first :)
I have posted a few on to deviantart so far ---> [link]
but most of my pictures are on my facebook photography page --->[link] :)
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
I love days 13, 9, and 4! Great job! Post your new photos here every day so we can see :)
:iconsmilejustbcuz:
smilejustbcuz Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Thank you! :D
I'll be sure to do that :)
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 15, 2013
You're welcome!
:iconbi0terr0r:
BI0TERR0R Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Here are mine. [link] I'm by no means a professional but, I'd like to be some day. I just have no money for a nicer camera so I'm mostly doing this to practice with the basics, I guess, but the first few of mine haven't really been all that good.
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013
Day 2 and day 7 are amazing! Do you have a dollar store somewhere close by? I would try going to dollar store and buying two or three pieces of white foam board. Use the foam board to reflect natural light back onto your subject like your cat. Also, when you take photos of your cat, try to fill the frame as much as possible, and try to catch an expression on your cats face. Also, I think you'd be very interested in these two articles about how to capture better photos. I certainly found them helpful when I was starting out: [link] (page one shows you the difference between a snapshot of animals and a stock photo of the same animals) but all 6 pages are a great resource!

This article is more words: [link] than it is pictures but it's also an amazing resource! Keep it up, I definitely see potential!
:iconbi0terr0r:
BI0TERR0R Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Thank you. c:

I've been considering getting some board but I haven't been able to just yet. And thank you for the articles, they'll be a real help.
You're welcome! I know you can buy reflector sets on Amazon but for $3 at the dollar store, the white and black poster board works really well, at least in a home environment.
:iconyellowmelle:
Yellowmelle Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I don't do it every day, it just sucks the fun right out. But I do date and keep those random photos I take that I might not want serious copies of. I might get 6-10 photos a month and laser print them out as 2" squares.
:iconrockthesky:
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Why print so small? At least go for 6x4 IMO, and even that is tiny.
:iconyellowmelle:
Yellowmelle Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Oh! Hehe well if it's a particularly nice one, I'll get a proper print of it. But I rather like having a full page of little squares, they're just so cute!

*gets all girly*
:iconsarracarol:
sarracarol Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Photographer
I started my 365 project on December 9th to get me through finals week. I've had a lot of bad shots since, but some good ones as well. I have them all in my gallery if anyone's interested, but I don't feel like digging for the thumbs.
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 12, 2013
I just put the thumbs up daily of the ones I like best as I upload them.
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013
photo of the day. If anyone else is doing this I'd enjoy seeing your photos as well!
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013
My entry for the day.
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 8, 2013
Photo for the day: Went to a different national wildlife refuge.
Now you're just taking pictures of different birds with the same pose. Hence: uninspired. One of the pitfalls of the project 360 or w/e. Bald eagle's are such majestic creatures in my opinion. When they're adult they have massive wingspans; why not try capturing them in flight?
All you can get is what you get when you go out. We went to two different wildlife refuges, saw a bunch of eagles, and never once saw one take off in flight. That doesn't mean that the images aren't good images.
rockTheSky Featured By Owner Jan 13, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I didn't say that they weren't good photos. I actually love bald eagles. My dream is to go up to Alaska and try to shooting the raptors at Kachemak bay.
You should go to Oregon sometime. So many bald eagles in Southern Oregon. I did get this shot but I was zoomed in past the lens and using digital zoom so the photo came out a bit grainy, not crisp like the others. It was just sitting on the side of the road. I suppose my format is big enough that I could have just stayed zoomed with the lens and then cropped, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time.
Ah, did it just flap it's wings to get comfy? I hate it when you're watching big birds and you think they're about to take flight, but they're just re-positioning themselves or something.
No he took off but I was zoomed in and I lost him real fast, so I didn't get a picture of him flying.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I did last year and I got about 40 images in and I have to admit that it did nothing to improve my photography other than make me shoot everything in sight hoping to catch something vaguely interesting, all it lead to was stuff that looked like the Instagram reject pile! I got far better images by sitting down and planning proper shoots and concentrating when I did shoot.

With all due respect a "365 Project" is an overrated idea pushed forward for novice users who have very little idea what they want to shoot, it helps them to isolate their favourite subjects and then start to work on those. If you have serious ideas about your favourite subjects already it will simply lead you spend all day panicking about finding something worthy of shooting, leading to to grab the first thing to hand at 2 minutes to midnight and just take a snapshot to satisfy yourself that your actually achieving something!

On the subject of watermarks. I was putting them on for two reasons, one I thought they would be a good advert and I was kidding myself I was some sort of proper photographer! People still "stole" my images whether they had watermarks or not, I can't be arsed with putting watermarks anymore so I stopped wasting time with them a month or two back, I simply upload low res copies of my images now and they look infinitely better with my ego blasted all over them!
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
Lol, it depends on how people take the project. I don't just sit around my house taking stupid pics. Here's my photo for the day Definitely not an object without any interest just sitting around my house.
:icongeorgewjohnson:
georgewjohnson Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
I'm not denying you can't get good shots, one of the shots I took during the ill-fated 365 last year got a Daily Deviation in February 2012. There were at least 2 others I quite liked but the other 30 odd images were just happy-snapper shots I wouldn't have put with 10 years ago when I picked up my first digital camera, they were purely to achieve the 365 at any cost. It was no longer about me personally taking well considered photographs and that's why I stopped. This didn't happen until around 40 days in because it was becoming harder to find images I actually wanted to shoot. Each to their own, this one certainly didn't work for me.
:iconsarracarol:
sarracarol Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional Photographer
I can understand that outlook. I have some daily photos I'm quite happy with, and others are snapshots. But I like seeing how I grow. I know from past experiences and friends that it takes about 200 days to really start having every shot be worth it without killing yourself.
:iconkrissygalaxis:
krissygalaxis Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Student General Artist
I am going to do this! But not for Photographs. Just drawings.

Of course I probably could do it for photo's as well. It might get me back into shooting again which I should really do.
:iconorwellisms:
Orwellisms Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Artist
*looks down at the other comments* most of them are irrelevant xD

I am, but not on dA, on my blogspot- [link] I started today, so I'll be a little late on the finishing side xD But I'd love to see yours too!
jatomlinson Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013
Awesome! I actually find that doing this project makes me pick up my camera each day and find new and interesting ways to take photos. It's about 18 degrees out most of the winter here so I don't get out to take photos outside, so it gives me a creative reasons to do photos inside.
"It's about 18 degrees out most of the winter here so I don't get out to take photos outside"

Please tell me you're not serious? The temperature doesn't even hit double digits below freezing and that's enough for you to not go outside to take pictures? Well now you're seriously limiting yourself. Put on a coat, wrap up warm and go outside -7 degrees is not that cold!
Actually it was negative 4 here today and it's sitting at a toasty 6 degrees right now. I don't mind braving the cold but I've read that if you don't warm your camera up properly after taking it out in the cold that it can get messed up. Also, have you tried going out for an hour in 18 degree weather and still moving your fingers to take photos? I bought gloves and cut the thumb tip off of the right one just so I could operate the camera, but when it's that cold you still freeze and it gets hard to take photos after very long.
Then go on a walk and take your camera. You're cold for a reason. Go on a 5 minute jog before you go out to get the blood flowing round your body. If you're on a walk then you're actually using your body and exerting yourself. I did the exactly this when I went out this morning at first light. I was absolutely frozen, so I put my gear down and went for a quick jog.
Add a Comment: